Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70

Thread: Will this be the year we end up with a top 10 draft pick and land a franchise QB?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    All current draft orders Iíve seen have us at 13 right now.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Maybe im cynical but ultimately maybe it doesnt matter where we pick in round 1. I dont have confidence in Keim to make a good decision no matter how low. Anywhere from 10-14, you can get a very good player, even if not a QB. Its just up to Keim to not screw it up.


    But if we are going by recent Keim trends, he'll take some super raw project nobody who did nothing in college *but can run a fast 40!*, OR he'll draft a super polished stud superstar...and then change his position in the NFL.

    What a smart fella
    Last edited by Zaz; 11-14-2017 at 02:40 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    6,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post
    All current draft orders Iíve seen have us at 13 right now.
    I think thatís about right. In Week 10 most everyone we want to win, from a draft pick perspective, lost. There are a lot of really bad teams in NFL 2017.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,103

    Default

    I checked Walters earlier today. They had us drafting 13th. We took a DT in the 1st round and Faulk in the 2nd round. The only thing I have aqinst Faulk is he is another immobile QB. In this day and age you need a QB who can make things happen with his legs as well as his arm. Not necessarily a Newton, but someone like Wilson. Problem was Mayfield was still on the board, and I'd rather have Mayfield than Faulk any day.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    In this day and age you need a QB who can make things happen with his legs as well as his arm.
    I have seen you constantly preach this- but it is simply not true. At all.

    SB winning QB since turn of century:

    Dilfer (not mobile)
    Brady (not mobile)
    B. Johnson (not mobile)
    Brady (not mobile)
    Brady (not mobile)
    Roethlisberger (not mobile)
    Peyton (not mobile)
    Eli (not mobile)
    Roethlisberger (not mobile)
    Brees (not mobile)
    Rodgers (mobile)
    Eli (not mobile)
    Flacco (not mobile)
    Wilson (mobile)
    Brady (not mobile)
    Peyton (not mobile)
    Brady (not mobile)

    15 of the last 17 SB-winning QB have been statues.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    308

    Default

    Look we have two third round picks this year. I would be okay with giving up 2018 3rd round picks + 2019 1st round pick + another pick in order to secure our QB of choice.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    5,105

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    Look we have two third round picks this year. I would be okay with giving up 2018 3rd round picks + 2019 1st round pick + another pick in order to secure our QB of choice.
    Sir, does that hefty draft bounty (4 picks) assure the Cards of the #1 pick in 2018? If yes, what are you looking for in that guy? Also, that's a lot to give up for a rookie QB that could make it as the Cards starter. Starter status is no guarantee he's the of QBofF, HoF material, etc. He could be just an average Joe, or more, or less.

    Some things about rookie QBs are just unknowable no matter what we think we know about their futures on draft day.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    3,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    Look we have two third round picks this year. I would be okay with giving up 2018 3rd round picks + 2019 1st round pick + another pick in order to secure our QB of choice.
    I'm quickly changing my stance about this class of QBs. Last year was the year to trade up for Watson, but the FO felt it better to take a tweener, and trade up for a safety on the second day. Almost as bad as Graves and Whiz deciding Michael Floyd was worthy of a first round pick.

    I wouldn't sell the farm for any of these guys, but I would be OK=ish to see them draft one that was waiting for them.
    Twickers bound.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Anybody can cherry pick to support their thesis. Here is what is undeniable:

    More than half of the starting QB in the NFL were selected in the top-10 overall.

    Just based on odds, you have a better chance of finding "the guy" the higher you pick.

    And despite all of this- it makes zero sense to tank.

    So..... there's that.
    You missed my point! My point was that taking a QB in the top ten does not provide any guarantees that you are drafting a franchise QB. I agree it may improve your odds, but there have actually been more busts (where bust is defined as failing to be premier QB) than hits for QBs taken in the top ten. If teams could figure out how to predict the next Tom Brady, or Russell Wilson, or Aaron Rogers, or Zak Prescott, these would all have been first round selections. However, teams may be getting better because both Philly and Rams seem to have QB hits whereas the Redskins missed significantly on RGIII.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeFan View Post
    You missed my point! My point was that taking a QB in the top ten does not provide any guarantees that you are drafting a franchise QB. I agree it may improve your odds, but there have actually been more busts (where bust is defined as failing to be premier QB) than hits for QBs taken in the top ten. If teams could figure out how to predict the next Tom Brady, or Russell Wilson, or Aaron Rogers, or Zak Prescott, these would all have been first round selections. However, teams may be getting better because both Philly and Rams seem to have QB hits whereas the Redskins missed significantly on RGIII.
    Well duh, nobody denies that the draft is an imperfect science. But the fact that busts happen should never scare away any competent GM. And the odds/history shows that the BEST way to find your franchise QB is to invest the equity into getting as high as you can. Again, more than half of all starting QB were top-10 overall picks, with 13 either a #1 or #2 overall pick (includes Bradford, Luck, Palmer all on IR).

    To give yourself the best chance, you gotta be picking HIGH. really high. Or you are just throwing darts and praying.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •