Thread: No long term value in winning any more games this season

Default No long term value in winning any more games this season

I'm not suggesting we turn it in, but we need the best draft pick possible to obtain the QB we want and this is a great opportunity to give youth a chance to see who is good enough for 2018. I would give Gabbert the ball and would also promote Harlan Miller from the practice squad. Penny needs more opportunities, even though it will be hard to impress with an injury ravaged Oline. It would be good to get Chad Williams a handful of games and Rudy Ford and Seals-Jones more game time.
    Yes we have the oldest squad, but even without Fitz and Palmer there is still a lot to like about this team. Mid round draft picks IMO would be foolish as we'd surely miss out on talent.

For me the Cards aren't going to the play offs. So there is no reason to try and win. Now it's get the best draft slot possible. We all know this team needs a QBOF, and if were drafting in the top 7 we should be able to land him. That to me is what the rest of the season is all about. We have some pieces but were still I think 4 players away. One of them being a long term QB.

Take the harsh lessons learned from the Suns debacle. You think fans are going to be supportive of a team that is tanking? A team that sits it's best players, some of whom are likely in their last season or storied career (Fitz). Not only will that set back the team years in terms of fan relationship (no more sellouts) it will also keep potential big name free agents from signing with the team. It would probably also bring down the ire of Roger and the other NFL owners. Loss of the top pick you tanked for? Sure why not, nothing is stopping Roger from doing that.
    Last edited by monsterike; 11-11-2017 at 08:25 AM.

This team is not going to tank. Too much at stake for individuals and franchise overall as others have said many, many times before. Having said that I completely agree with giving younger players a shot once it is clear this season is lost (should be now IMO) but that and other opinions on this board really don't matter. Management knows that Stanton is neither the QOF or even a legit backup except for injuries...so why not give Gabbert a shot and answer that question once and for all? Say we end up 7-9 or somehow 8-8 - then we have to look at veteran QB acquisition. Assuming we go anywhere from 4-12 to 6-10 we have a shot at a decent draft pick and hopefully we make the right choice and it works out in a year or two. Yeah, we have other needs that need to be addressed but every other team does as well.

From my perspective, and this franchise's historical perspective, we have had a decent 10 year run (2008-2017). Up and down like the vast majority of NFL franchises but given the previous history of the Cardinal franchise I'll take it. Recognize Larry's contribution, BA's tenure, SK & MB mgmt and move forward into the next decade. The only thing you can ever change is the future.

Yes agree 100%. This is our year to get the guy we want.

Nobody will ever admit to tanking, these guys are professionals and should have enough respect for themselves to play to the best of their ability each game. However I would like to see

Veldheer moved to LT and Will Holden at RT.
    Boehm taking some snaps at centre.
    Chad Williams being active on game days and actually taking some snaps.
    Brandon Williams taking snaps at cornerback. Last chance saloon.
    Use Troy Niklas in passing situations. Last chance saloon.

Last one might be crazy, move Mathieu to Branch's spot. We have seen you can plug anyone in there and they will look good, get Mathieu there, look good back end of the year, put him on the trade block come summer. We can then move Baker in to Mathieu's spot.

I doubt we need to try and lose games we cant win even if we tried. Play the draft picks and teach them.

I agree, play Gabbert(looks like BA doesn't have a choice if Stanton can't go), and give the young guys playing time to give them experience and see what they got. Nobody's saying to bench our best players, they can all get enough snaps. We don't have to tank to lose the rest of our games. They can do that on their own. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised by some of the new guys contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Last one might be crazy, move Mathieu to Branch's spot. We have seen you can plug anyone in there and they will look good, get Mathieu there, look good back end of the year, put him on the trade block come summer. We can then move Baker in to Mathieu's spot.
    It is crazy.

Good luck finding a trade partner for the HB with a contract paying him in the $10M range for the next 4 years.

He's just not worth it right now.
    The demise of the Seattle Seahawks is greatly exaggerated.