Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33

Thread: Offseason Ideas

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,487

    Default Offseason Ideas

    It's mid-November and like so many Cardinal seasons of yesteryear (lots and lots of yesteryears) it's time to begin the dubious process of trying to get a drifting roster (and franchise) back to running at full speed.

    On a 53 man roster there is significant change every year, but this year needs to be especially busy for SK in an attempt to infuse talent, grit and nastiness into this team. This ain't beanbag, you know.


    There needs to be upgrades across several positions and I'm not sure how much you can actually do in one offseason.

    K
    WR--Nelson, Brown & Brown are all #3's right now at best. I love Jaron, but he's just not a #2. So you have to find a 2. Floyd mattered more than most on this MB care to admit.
    OL, OL, OL---Iupati, Veldheer and Watford all have to go or be backups only. C would be nice but likely to see Boehm get a chance first. And if DJHump gets hurt again next year...you're basically back to complete zero. Boone will probably be ok for 1 more year.
    ILB--Los has become SLos.
    DB/S--Branch has ended the last two seasons on IR. HB is likely staying because of that anchor of a contract. Do they have the guts to make him a role player?
    TE--2 out of 3 ain't good.
    QB--I'm good with BG and a draftee or CP3, BG and a draftee. DS has finished his time here, hopefully.
    DL--Need someone with some impact. Peters has been good this year, Pierre has flashed (can he be more consistent), Nkemdiche is rotational at best, Rucker is probably done, Mauro is rotational and wouldn't be missed.
    OLB--need more depth. Martin hasn't done much with his chance, IMO.



    At this point, here is my core team...anyone else should be looked at as upgrade needed or required.

    PP21
    Buddah
    DBuc
    Reddick
    Golden
    CJones
    Peters
    Pierre
    Nkemdiche (still on a hope, honestly)
    Lee
    DJHump
    Boone (1 year)
    AD
    DJ
    BG
    CP3 (his call)
    Gresham
    Fitz


    That's 18 out of 53.

    I'd add Ford (ST) and Jaron Brown as the #3 WR putting my must keeps at 20.

    Yikes.

    The good news is you have 8 or 9 out of 11 starters on D as part of this group. They should be more dominant than they are. I would try to find a hammer for the other S and DB.

    On offense too many small guys play important roles. JNel, Smoke, Andre, Kerwynn, Shipley...that's a group of minis that need more size and power. Too many guys who can't break tackles or run over people.

    Clearly there aren't going to be 33 changes, but there should be a bunch at key spots. Here are my "must leave" selections:

    Dansby--SLos is ready for the coaching sideline.
    Branch (small and injury prone or unlucky...same thing)
    Brandon Williams (one of SK's worst picks along with the WR who had a known history of concussions and the WR from round 3 last year)
    Smoke (small, slower now and injury prone, JNell is a little more dependable at this point)
    Iupati
    Veldheer
    Watford
    Dawson (worst best signing evah)
    Rucker (father time is undefeated)
    KWilliams
    Andre (will be the best flag football player ever)
    Shipley (ain't gonna happen, though)


    Add in some necessary coaching changes (Amos, come on down) and wow...that's a makeover worthy of an HGTV series.



    SK, now that I've done all of this work for you, call me and we can play golf.
    Last edited by OJ Anderson; 11-18-2017 at 10:25 AM.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Verde Valley
    Posts
    6,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    It's mid-November and like so many Cardinal seasons of yesteryear (lots of yesteryears) it's time to being the dubious process of trying to get a drifting roster (and franchise) back to running at full speed.

    On a 53 man roster there is significant change every year, but this year needs to be especially busy for SK in an attempt to infuse talent, grit and nastiness into this team. This ain't beanbag, you know.


    There needs to be upgrades across several positions and I'm not sure how much you can actually do in one offseason.

    K
    WR--Nelson, Brown & Brown are all #3's right now at best. I love Jaron, but he's just not a #2. So you have to find a 2. Floyd mattered more than most on this MB care to admit.
    OL, OL, OL---Iupati, Veldheer and Watford all have to go or be backups only. C would be nice but likely to see Boehm get a chance first. And if DJHump gets hurt again next year...you're basically back to complete zero. Boone will probably be ok for 1 more year.
    ILB--Los has become SLos.
    DB/S--Branch has ended the last two seasons on IR. HB is likely staying because of that anchor of a contract. Do they have the guts to make him a role player?
    TE--2 out of 3 ain't good.
    QB--I'm good with BG and a draftee or CP3, BG and a draftee. DS has finished his time here, hopefully.
    DL--Need someone with some impact. Peters has been good this year, Pierre has flashed (can he be more consistent), Nkemdiche is rotational at best, Rucker is probably done, Mauro is rotational and wouldn't be missed.
    OLB--need more depth. Martin hasn't done much with his chance, IMO.



    At this point, here is my core team...anyone else should be looked at as upgrade needed or required.

    PP21
    Buddah
    DBuc
    Reddick
    Golden
    CJones
    Peters
    Pierre
    Nkemdiche (still on a hope, honestly)
    Lee
    DJHump
    Boone (1 year)
    AD
    DJ
    BG
    CP3 (his call)
    Gresham
    Fitz


    That's 18 out of 53.

    I'd add Ford (ST) and Jaron Brown as the #3 WR putting my must keeps at 20.

    Yikes.

    The good news is you have 8 or 9 out of 11 starters on D as part of this group. They should be more dominant than they are. I would try to find a hammer for the other S and DB.

    On offense too many small guys play important roles. JNel, Smoke, Andre, Kerwynn, Shipley...that's a group of minis that need more size and power. Too many guys who can't break tackles or run over people.

    Clearly there aren't going to be 33 changes, but there should be a bunch at key spots. Here are my "must leave" selections:

    Dansby--SLos is ready for the coaching sideline.
    Branch (small and injury prone or unlucky...same thing)
    Brandon Williams (one of SK's worst picks along with the WR who had a known history of concussions and the WR from round 3 last year)
    Smoke (small, slower now and injury prone, JNell is a little more dependable at this point)
    Iupati
    Veldheer
    Watford
    Dawson (worst best signing evah)
    Rucker (father time is undefeated)
    KWilliams
    Andre (will be the best flag football player ever)
    Shipley (ain't gonna happen, though)



    SK, now that I've done all of this work for you, call me and we can play golf.
    Great thoughts..
    i will admit how important Floyd was.....why did he have to be a drunk.......
    Qb`s.....i`m good with any of those scenarios...........HAS long as the Draftee is in there
    The Big A era begins.... Tick tock..7 games and counting

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    667

    Default

    I think your analysis is pretty spot on. I'm not sure how to get rid of Tyrann, but he needs to be traded while he still has some value. Not only is he overpaid, he's a liability as a starter, both because of his speed and his height.

    The back-to-back IR injuries complicate things, but I would like to keep Branch; he at least plays pretty consistently. Baker hasn't shown enough to make me confident in his abilities.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Agree completely on Floyd, except that a SOBER Floyd was very valuable. I will say he is one of the luckiest punks I've ever seen, passes through NE long enough to be on a SB roster, now on the Vikings roster while they're riding high. Good things happen to bad people, and vice versa of course.

    Overall, lots of great points there. This thing is a mess, my biggest concern is that the people in charge of fixing it don't realize that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longimanus View Post
    I think your analysis is pretty spot on. I'm not sure how to get rid of Tyrann, but he needs to be traded while he still has some value. Not only is he overpaid, he's a liability as a starter, both because of his speed and his height.

    The back-to-back IR injuries complicate things, but I would like to keep Branch; he at least plays pretty consistently. Baker hasn't shown enough to make me confident in his abilities.
    What? Outside of the Eagles game(in which nobody played great), he’s been great everytime he has gotten PT, defense & special teams.
    Last edited by ClutchDJ; 11-18-2017 at 11:36 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longimanus View Post
    Baker hasn't shown enough to make me confident in his abilities.
    He got burnt against the Eagles but he has shown more than enough on ST and in the few snaps he had prior to the Seahawks game to get me excited. The Seahawks game was the icing on the cake.

    Looking on the offence...

    RB: TJ Logan will be on the roster (think you missed him off your list), possibly in place of K Williams. Would be surprised if AP is here next year (he would be a 3.5 million cap hit), he might have enjoyed his time here and being with Fitz he may restructure. Penny may be kept around on another cheap deal. Ellington will be gone, after he started the season looking like the old Andre he has quickly regressed back in to the guy who is playing like he doesn't want to get hurt.

    WR: Fitz is back, hooray for that, someone who cant actually catch a ball will be back. Jaron needs to step up on the stretch but think he gets another cheap 1/2 year deal as WR3 or 4. Smoke is another who could earn a 1/2 year deal if he is cheap. Golden could be bumped if we draft/sign another guy in FA. JJ Nelson will be kept around because there is no point in cutting him. Chad Williams needs to step up and get some snaps.

    OL: Genuinely can't see the FO cutting both Iupati and Veldheer. Keeping Veldheer around makes sense if he wants to carry on playing as he did a nice job after a rough start at RT. Watford and Boone should be kept around on the cheap if possible. Shipley will depend on how much faith they have in Boehm. I expect him to be here though as Shipley is a BA guy.

    TE: Gresham isn't going anywhere, still don't know who signed on the dotted line for his new contract. Maybe Niklas gets another deal, SK spent a second rounder on him after all. Momah I don't see being around.

    QB: If CP wants to come back, he comes back IMO. Gabbert is starting his audition for Cardinals backup QB, if he balls out I think he will be retained, if he doesn't then I think he will be bumped and Stanton given a year deal with a rookie backing him up as QB3.

    - So potentially another RB to give DJ a breather. Wouldn't be shocked if the team try and tempt someone like Blount in for a year after we apparently had interest in him this year. Dion Lewis would be a nice change of pace back.
    - Another receiver makes sense, how many depends on the likelihood of deals being passed out to Jaron and Smoke. Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, Paul Richardson, Davante Adams, Jaris Landry and all names that stand out to me as potential free agents.
    - On the line, I think Iupati gets cut. I see Watford and Boone earning short cheap deals. Veldheer stays at RT because of how often Humphries appears to go down. This is a position I think we target in the draft, but what about Jonathan Cooper turning full circle and coming back after some impressive performances for Dallas?
    - At TE Gresham will be around. I'm not sure if we will stick or twist with Niklas, the potential is there but we are still waiting for him to break out. Momah will be out the door. This is possibly a spot we hit in the draft, it would be nice to groom a guy for a couple of years as TE2 behind Gresham ready to take over at possibly the end of 2019.
    - Finally at QB, surely this is the year we actually draft a guy right? Then again nothing shocks me. As above, depends on the situation but what I would like to see is a guy come in and sit behind CP and possibly BG for a year. If CP doesn't come back could we make a splash on a vet (unlikely I think listening to SK's recent comments). I think it will then be the BG/DS show with a rookie backing either one of them up. Would love to see Mayfield but can't see it, would also like to see Jackson but can't see it. I think we most likely overdraft Josh Allen in the first or move up for Rudolph early in the second (hope i am wrong).

    I just think those who are thinking/hoping it gets blown up and we start from scratch will be disappointed.
    Last edited by Kyle; 11-18-2017 at 11:52 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seymour TN
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Phil Dawson is 42 years old. Trying to be an Vinatieri.
    Merry Christmas!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    He got burnt against the Eagles but he has shown more than enough on ST and in the few snaps he had prior to the Seahawks game to get me excited. The Seahawks game was the icing on the cake.

    Looking on the offence...

    RB: TJ Logan will be on the roster (think you missed him off your list), possibly in place of K Williams. Would be surprised if AP is here next year (he would be a 3.5 million cap hit), he might have enjoyed his time here and being with Fitz he may restructure. Penny may be kept around on another cheap deal. Ellington will be gone, after he started the season looking like the old Andre he has quickly regressed back in to the guy who is playing like he doesn't want to get hurt.

    WR: Fitz is back, hooray for that, someone who cant actually catch a ball will be back. Jaron needs to step up on the stretch but think he gets another cheap 1/2 year deal as WR3 or 4. Smoke is another who could earn a 1/2 year deal if he is cheap. Golden could be bumped if we draft/sign another guy in FA. JJ Nelson will be kept around because there is no point in cutting him. Chad Williams needs to step up and get some snaps.

    OL: Genuinely can't see the FO cutting both Iupati and Veldheer. Keeping Veldheer around makes sense if he wants to carry on playing as he did a nice job after a rough start at RT. Watford and Boone should be kept around on the cheap if possible. Shipley will depend on how much faith they have in Boehm. I expect him to be here though as Shipley is a BA guy.

    TE: Gresham isn't going anywhere, still don't know who signed on the dotted line for his new contract. Maybe Niklas gets another deal, SK spent a second rounder on him after all. Momah I don't see being around.

    QB: If CP wants to come back, he comes back IMO. Gabbert is starting his audition for Cardinals backup QB, if he balls out I think he will be retained, if he doesn't then I think he will be bumped and Stanton given a year deal with a rookie backing him up as QB3.

    - So potentially another RB to give DJ a breather. Wouldn't be shocked if the team try and tempt someone like Blount in for a year after we apparently had interest in him this year. Dion Lewis would be a nice change of pace back.
    - Another receiver makes sense, how many depends on the likelihood of deals being passed out to Jaron and Smoke. Marquise Lee, Allen Robinson, Paul Richardson, Davante Adams, Jaris Landry and all names that stand out to me as potential free agents.
    - On the line, I think Iupati gets cut. I see Watford and Boone earning short cheap deals. Veldheer stays at RT because of how often Humphries appears to go down. This is a position I think we target in the draft, but what about Jonathan Cooper turning full circle and coming back after some impressive performances for Dallas?
    - At TE Gresham will be around. I'm not sure if we will stick or twist with Niklas, the potential is there but we are still waiting for him to break out. Momah will be out the door. This is possibly a spot we hit in the draft, it would be nice to groom a guy for a couple of years as TE2 behind Gresham ready to take over at possibly the end of 2019.
    - Finally at QB, surely this is the year we actually draft a guy right? Then again nothing shocks me. As above, depends on the situation but what I would like to see is a guy come in and sit behind CP and possibly BG for a year. If CP doesn't come back could we make a splash on a vet (unlikely I think listening to SK's recent comments). I think it will then be the BG/DS show with a rookie backing either one of them up. Would love to see Mayfield but can't see it, would also like to see Jackson but can't see it. I think we most likely overdraft Josh Allen in the first or move up for Rudolph early in the second (hope i am wrong).

    I just think those who are thinking/hoping it gets blown up and we start from scratch will be disappointed.
    Under your scenario the OL likely changes almost none...that's inexcusable if that ends up being the way it goes.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longimanus View Post
    I think your analysis is pretty spot on. I'm not sure how to get rid of Tyrann, but he needs to be traded while he still has some value. Not only is he overpaid, he's a liability as a starter, both because of his speed and his height.

    The back-to-back IR injuries complicate things, but I would like to keep Branch; he at least plays pretty consistently. Baker hasn't shown enough to make me confident in his abilities.
    So you think a GM is stupid enough to take on his contract in a trade?

    HB has very little value both here and elsewhere. We are stuck with him for now.

    Iupati , cant wait to see this deadweight go. Valdheer is going to retire. I'd love to see us upgrade Shipley but you cant have everything. But then again Kelly was within a draft slot for us but we went for Nkimdeche. Who is fast approaching a BUST.

    Drafting a QBOTF is paramount here. If Gabbert plays well I'm ok with CP retiring and we can use Gabbert as the stop gap. He's still young and he is mobile which I think is important unless you can completely rebuild the line.

    A number two WR is very important. Floyd drinking his way out of town and Brown with his sickle cell are two huge and unexpected events.

    I'd like to see us address a number two CB possibly QB in first round and CB in second depending on what we might have to give up if we move up in the draft for a QB.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    So you think a GM is stupid enough to take on his contract in a trade?

    HB has very little value both here and elsewhere. We are stuck with him for now.

    Iupati , cant wait to see this deadweight go. Valdheer is going to retire. I'd love to see us upgrade Shipley but you cant have everything. But then again Kelly was within a draft slot for us but we went for Nkimdeche. Who is fast approaching a BUST.

    Drafting a QBOTF is paramount here. If Gabbert plays well I'm ok with CP retiring and we can use Gabbert as the stop gap. He's still young and he is mobile which I think is important unless you can completely rebuild the line.

    A number two WR is very important. Floyd drinking his way out of town and Brown with his sickle cell are two huge and unexpected events.

    I'd like to see us address a number two CB possibly QB in first round and CB in second depending on what we might have to give up if we move up in the draft for a QB.

    Yeah, HB is a problem. I hope they have the stones to reduce his role significantly unless his play spikes upward in a dramatic way.

    I should have noted Floyd's drinking in the OP...still, a lot of MB participants seemed to think even last year he had no value. Clearly he did when sober.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •