Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our wins vs our losses

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Another toxic win for a team destined for mediocrity.

Last year we closed strong with multiple wins setting up that MOMENTUM going into this year. LOL.I tried in vain to argue that the wins simply hurt our draft position. Hows that "momentum" working for us?

Too many holes to fill in super important positions. Try needing a QB and an oline in this league. Good luck doing that in one year after scrapping together a 7-9 season.

Hello Alex Smith.
    Wow, actively hoping your team loses just for a draft position. If the FO had that attitude I hope they would close the doors on the stadium and never bother opening them up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Wow, actively hoping your team loses just for a draft position. If the FO had that attitude I hope they would close the doors on the stadium and never bother opening them up again.
    Totally agree. I am always amazed how many people on here get so annoyed about the Cardinals winning. The draft is a lottery; why on earth would anyone want to watch a game for 3 hours and hope their team loses for the wildcard that is a draft. Ridiculous. So many armchair GMs on here who am I very thankful don't get to be anywhere near the decision making or coaching of this team. Losers with a loser mentality.

This was a really enjoyable game to watch (it's been a while) and the result at the end was fantastic. Nice to see some of these kids step up, and the wiley veterans also showing why they are still there. That 57 yard FG at the end was a thing of beauty. If that didn't get a fan's heart racing, not sure what will.

You simply cannot see the forest through the trees.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

You simply cannot see the forest through the trees.
    Of course I can. You are basically vindicating we lose games to put us in a draft position where we we won't have to trade up to take a QB.

What I am saying is it goes against the spirit of the game and sport in general. If you don't play to win you shouldn't bother playing again.

Of course I can. You are basically vindicating we lose games to put us in a draft position where we we won't have to trade up to take a QB.

What I am saying is it goes against the spirit of the game and sport in general. If you don't play to win you shouldn't bother playing again.
    And to add, not only does it go against sport in general, these are professional athletes who hate to lose. They are hyper competitive and want to win. For some guys, they won't be on a roster next year - and for guys who are fighting for their spots, does anyone think they really care if the Cardinals get a top 10 pick? They really don't - they are going out there to win, to compete, to play hard, and to try and have jobs for the future.

All these armchair GMs who advocate for losing have no perception of reality. All coaches hate to lose and are not going to purposely lose for a draft pick. It's stupid to root for a team to do this, it's stupid to expect a coach/GM to do it, and it's stupid to think that the draft is anything other than a lottery (players don't live up to expectations, players get hurt, players do stupid things, etc.).

Another toxic win for a team destined for mediocrity.

Last year we closed strong with multiple wins setting up that MOMENTUM going into this year. LOL.I tried in vain to argue that the wins simply hurt our draft position. Hows that "momentum" working for us?

Too many holes to fill in super important positions. Try needing a QB and an oline in this league. Good luck doing that in one year after scrapping together a 7-9 season.

Hello Alex Smith.

Yup pretty much this. Ugh.

What I am saying is it goes against the spirit of the game and sport in general

Thats very romantic, but its wholly worthless. The memory of that superbowl parade is alot more meaningful than the memory of going 8-8 again.

Pride is the folly of man - Proverbs 16:5

Overruling strategy and intelligence for the sake of your pride is the greatest sin a club can commit. The spirit of the game is to win. Doing everything you can for the sake of winning is the definition of sport.

And not to get dramatic...but theres alot of Cards fans whod love to see a championship before they die. And they might not get that chance at this rate. That experience would be phenomenal and more important than any "spirit of the game" rubbish.
    Last edited by Zaz; 11-27-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Thats very romantic, but its wholly worthless. Whereas 'honor' has no value, wins do have value. A superbowl ring is worth about $79,000.

Ill also say this, the memory of that superbowl parade is alot more meaningful than the memory of going 8-8 again.
    These guys compete to win, go and tell Patrick Peterson he is being pulled for the rest of the season because we are tanking for a draft pick and watch him slap in a trade request. That goes for Chandler Jones, Larry Fitzgerald etc etc.

Also you can't throw extremes circumstances at either end of the scale out just to suit your point. M

Again I will repeat, if we identify the guy who we believe will be our QBOTF, we will trade up and get him. Whether we are picking 5th or 15th.

These guys compete to win

Again I will repeat, if we identify the guy who we believe will be our QBOTF, we will trade up and get him. Whether we are picking 5th or 15th.
    And they lost. Its week 12. They had 12 weeks to "compete to win", they lost mostly and its now beyond saving. In short, the no longer have the right to dictate anything. If they wanted to win, they shouldve won back when it mattered. Now we need to make future decisions.

And naturally picking 5th and retaining all your picks is smarter than trading the farm to move up to pick 5th.

smarter. smarter. smarter. Thats the name of the game now. Whats the smart thing to do

And you dont have to TRY to lose.

Perfect example: San Francisco playing CJ Beathard instead of Jimmy G. They will get the #2 pick, get a franchise RB in Barkley, and go into next season with 2 new franchise weapons.

No 9ers fans or players next year are going to complain about the CJ Beathard losing strategy to get that #2 pick when they are winning games in 2018.