Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why NOT BG ??

Default Why NOT BG ??

Ok -- am I the only one who is intrigued with BG as the future QB ?? I have not jumped fully on board with this idea but am pondering if the potential cap savings between BG and let's say a Kirk Cousins of $12M cap room couldn't be used to shore up the OL - CB2 needs ? I definitely do NOT want Alex Smith as he is on the downside of his career and what he does well doesn't fit with BA's offense.

I think BG's pocket presence is far better than I was expecting and even his INT (which BTW he threw it low on purpose to give Chad Williams a chance but he was a quarter tick late with the throw though he did have a DL coming up the middle and was in his face) could be blamed on Chad Williams not moving forward quick enough though it was just a good play by Church. SK just mentioned on 98.7 that the last throw by BG while evading the rush and then running full speed and snapping off the throw to DJ Foster to win the game was a thing of beauty.

Jags have the #1 defense and Cards are down 3 OL and without their #2 receiver and the #1 offensive player in the NFL -- so with that handicap let's see how other QB's this year have fared vs. the Jags #1 Defense with not as many 2nd - 3rd string players on the offense as BG: (best comparison is P. Rivers)

QB Name Completion/Attempts Total Yards TD/INT QBR
    Flacco 8-18 28 Yds 0/0 12.0
    Big Ben 33-55 312 Yds 0/5 37.8
    Dalton 10-18 136 Yds 0/0 79.9
    Mariota 15-27 215 Yds 1/1 78.5
    P. Rivers 21-37 235 Yds 2/1 82.6
    J. Goff 11-21 124 Yds 1/0 86.2
    Blaine Gabbert 22-38 241 Yds 2/1 83.3
    I will easily maintain that Stanton would not have come close to winning the game yesterday as there was not much separation shown yesterday so his weaker arm would have had more passes knocked down or worse . I also am adamant that Calais tipped off their defense to a few of the Cards "pet" offensive plays ESPECIALLY the WR screen passes which both times had the corner blitz running into the passing lane and tipping the ball with nearly disastrous results. So considering the above and having a former player giving clues to the Jags defense of what play was coming I think BG acquitted himself very well -- he certainly looks good in the pocket. My real complaint is that I really wish he would have thrown the deep ball to JJ Nelson in the 4th qtr who did beat Bouye with just a little more loft.

I have no problem with giving Gabbert the rest of the year to see how he preforms over the course of multiple games. At best we have a bridge QB to who ever gets drafted. At worst he is a better back up than Stanton ever will be. He has a different skillset than either Stanton or Palmer. He can actually run a bit. So put in some role outs and QB read options. I don't expect him to be Wilson but it gives the defense something else to plan for and think about. It would also open up the run game some.

I just don't want BA here next year as coach. His time has come and went. I want someone who will use who ever is QB skills to the fullest extent. Like with Gabbert. Put in some role outs and some QB read options. BA's running game is way to predictable. Quit trying to put square pegs in round holes. I also want BA gone so his coaches go with him. Most of his coaching staff isn't all that good.

I don't think we win the game yesterday with Stanton as QB.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Ok -- am I the only one who is intrigued with BG as the future QB ?? I have not jumped fully on board with this idea but am pondering if the potential cap savings between BG and let's say a Kirk Cousins of $12M cap room couldn't be used to shore up the OL - CB2 needs ? I definitely do NOT want Alex Smith as he is on the downside of his career and what he does well doesn't fit with BA's offense.

I think BG's pocket presence is far better than I was expecting and even his INT (which BTW he threw it low on purpose to give Chad Williams a chance but he was a quarter tick late with the throw though he did have a DL coming up the middle and was in his face) could be blamed on Chad Williams not moving forward quick enough though it was just a good play by Church. SK just mentioned on 98.7 that the last throw by BG while evading the rush and then running full speed and snapping off the throw to DJ Foster to win the game was a thing of beauty.

Jags have the #1 defense and Cards are down 3 OL and without their #2 receiver and the #1 offensive player in the NFL -- so with that handicap let's see how other QB's this year have fared vs. the Jags #1 Defense with not as many 2nd - 3rd string players on the offense as BG: (best comparison is P. Rivers)

QB Name Completion/Attempts Total Yards TD/INT QBR
    Flacco 8-18 28 Yds 0/0 12.0
    Big Ben 33-55 312 Yds 0/5 37.8
    Dalton 10-18 136 Yds 0/0 79.9
    Mariota 15-27 215 Yds 1/1 78.5
    P. Rivers 21-37 235 Yds 2/1 82.6
    J. Goff 11-21 124 Yds 1/0 86.2
    Blaine Gabbert 22-38 241 Yds 2/1 83.3
    I will easily maintain that Stanton would not have come close to winning the game yesterday as there was not much separation shown yesterday so his weaker arm would have had more passes knocked down or worse . I also am adamant that Calais tipped off their defense to a few of the Cards "pet" offensive plays ESPECIALLY the WR screen passes which both times had the corner blitz running into the passing lane and tipping the ball with nearly disastrous results. So considering the above and having a former player giving clues to the Jags defense of what play was coming I think BG acquitted himself very well -- he certainly looks good in the pocket. My real complaint is that I really wish he would have thrown the deep ball to JJ Nelson in the 4th qtr who did beat Bouye with just a little more loft.
    I'm fine with him being our bridge qb.
    But he wasn't even good yesterday. He was serviceable. Which is what you want from a backup not a starter.

And here we go.

Where have I seen this before?

Maybe after Max Hall won a game that he looked horrrible in.

Maybe when Matt Leinart was cut and DWreck was touted as the next QB.

We need a QB and Gabbert is not a stop gap or anything of the sort.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    At best we have a bridge QB to who ever gets drafted. At worst he is a better back up than Stanton ever will be.
    This pretty much sums it up.

If you are going to plant the flag in the ground and say Blaine Gabbert is our starting QB next year and beyond you are basically saying we are in rebuild and have no hopes of competing for a SB or championship.

Blake Bortles doesn't bail him out with a pass right to Mathieu and we're talking about him having another horrendous 4th (really 2nd half) outside of 1 drive. Don't do this. Whoever we draft or pick up in F/A is the guy, not Blaine don't steer away from the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Main Event~ View Post
    Blake Bortles doesn't bail him out with a pass right to Mathieu and we're talking about him having another horrendous 4th (really 2nd half) outside of 1 drive. Don't do this. Whoever we draft or pick up in F/A is the guy, not Blaine don't steer away from the plan.
    OK -- your choices most likely will be Alex Smith @ $20M + APY or Josh Allen. Rosen - Lamar Jackson will be GONE within the first 3 picks.

Will wait and see ... since there are 5 more games to evaluate BG including another top 5 defense this Sunday vs. Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    OK -- your choices most likely will be Alex Smith @ $20M + APY or Josh Allen. Rosen - Lamar Jackson will be GONE within the first 3 picks.

Will wait and see ... since there are 5 more games to evaluate BG including another top 5 defense this Sunday vs. Rams.
    Trade up for the guy you want like they've been talking about. San Fran is picking top 3 so no all 3 aren't gone in the top 3 picks.

Not taking a QB and going w/ Blaine next year and Blaine being mediocre is the recipe for a regime getting canned and setting a franchise back further all because you fell for a small sample size

I think we all should remember this was only his second game under BA's system. Considering that, I think he did as bought as well as you could hope for, and remember that was the number one defense yesterday.

Can anyone say that after just two games, he should be playing like Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers or even Carson Palmer.

Let's see how he plays the rest of the year before we write him off as the QBoF.

From what I've seen so far, he's done nothing to show me he can't, and maybe flashes that he can.

All I'm saying. Lets see more before we decide what he can or can't be....its just too soon to call it....

C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg