Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many posters here seem content with mediocrity?

Ok look at the teams that are consistently in the playoffs and Super Bowls. Here are the QB's and what teams they are on with winning records along with where they fell in the draft.

New England Patriots 9-2 - Tom Brady Round 6 Pick 199
    Buffalo Bills 6-5 - Tyrod Taylor Round 6 Pick 180
    Pittsburgh Steelers 9-2 - Ben Roethlisberger Round 1 Pick 11
    Tennessee Titans 7-4 - Marcus Mariota Round 1 Pick 2
    Jacksonville Jaguars 7-4 - Blake Bortles Round 1 Pick 3
    Kansas City Chiefs 6-5 - Alex Smith Round 1 Pick 1
    Philadelphia Eagles 10-1 - Carson Wentz Round 1 Pick 2
    Minnesota Vikings 9-2 - Case Keenum Undrafted
    Detroit Lions 6-5 - Matthew Stafford Round 1 Pick 1
    New Orleans Saints 8-3 - Drew Brees Round 2 Pick 32
    Carolina Panthers 8-3 - Cam Newton Round 1 Pick 1
    Atlanta Falcons 7-4 - Matt Ryan Round 1 Pick 3

Los Angeles Rams 8-3 - Jared Goff Round 1 Pick 1
    Seattle Seahawks 7-4 - Russell Wilson Round 3 Pick 75

Notice that the bold players 50/50 in round 1 that are consistently playoff bound. Seattle, New England and New Orleans weren't even drafted in the 1st round.

My point being is that the draft is all a roll of the dice.

Heck even our Super Bowl QB Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted.
    "Let's Shock The World" - Kurt Warner Jan 10, 2009 after defeating Carolina Panthers 33-13

Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    This team will never win a championship until we draft and develop a QB. Keim needs to stop putting it off. No more stop gaps. Have some guts and do what it takes to get our guy. Look at the Rams with Goff, Texans with Watson, Eagles with Wentz (aren't they lucky), etc etc.
    The question becomes is losing the only way to get the guy you want...?

NO.

Also, who do you want to bad in this draft? Who is an immediate organizational transformation as soon as he suits up?

I see pretty extensive change coming, but none of it requires we continue losing prior to doing so.

And, let's be completely honest, the defense is not that far away. On that side of the ball it's more about nastiness and intensity. I'd go into next season with the same group if I could trade out Dansby and the CB2 while making HB a situational player.

On OL, we need a complete overhaul.

All of that can be done with the 10-20th pick.
    I am the thread-killer...like a boss!

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    The question becomes is losing the only way to get the guy you want...?

NO.

Also, who do you want to bad in this draft? Who is an immediate organizational transformation as soon as he suits up?

I see pretty extensive change coming, but none of it requires we continue losing prior to doing so.

And, let's be completely honest, the defense is not that far away. On that side of the ball it's more about nastiness and intensity. I'd go into next season with the same group if I could trade out Dansby and the CB2 while making HB a situational player.

On OL, we need a complete overhaul.

All of that can be done with the 10-20th pick.
    Exactly

The difference between 6-10 and 8-8 is 8 to 15. That's massive and more assets to give up if we want to trade up, which hurts if we have other holes to fill. So those two meaningless wins that some fans tell us to "enjoy" end up hurting us big time.
    Last edited by Birdgang95; 11-27-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachir View Post

Ill bet you a penny there are more HOF 1st rounders than HOF 5th rounders.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdgang95 View Post
    The difference between 6-10 and 8-8 is 8 to 15. That's massive and more assets to give up if we want to trade up, which hurts if we have other holes to fill. So those two meaningless wins that some fans tell us to "enjoy" end up hurting us big time.
    Who is this cant miss, franchise changing person you are so upset about possibly missing out on or giving up more to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Switzerland View Post
    if you like to lose become a browns fan and get out of here. HELLO? You play to win the game! No player and coach will ever lay down so the team has a better chance to draft his replacement...

play the season, enjoy the wins and let the chips fall where they may. if you like a QB you go and get him, how can you be so upset over if thats at #7 or #13?

might just as well trade up or find a QB there or even later, who knows? you don't, I don't. so why being upset over a good performance by your team?

rebuild, mediocrity, playoffs, super bowl, whatever. we'll be here.

screw all of you rooting for losses, go away
    Thank you , those are my thoughts exactly. You play the game to win, and no i would not go to a game if i knew they were going to lose. As a season ticket member i would demand my money back for any tanked games. They played well yesterday, i am a little prouder to be a Cardinals BirdGang fan today.
    We need a QB of the future NOW!

I would like to see MB's and the players reaction to SK/BA telling them that they plan to tank the season so we can move up in the draft next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachir View Post
    Ok look at the teams that are consistently in the playoffs and Super Bowls. Here are the QB's and what teams they are on with winning records along with where they fell in the draft.

New England Patriots 9-2 - Tom Brady Round 6 Pick 199
    Buffalo Bills 6-5 - Tyrod Taylor Round 6 Pick 180
    Pittsburgh Steelers 9-2 - Ben Roethlisberger Round 1 Pick 11
    Tennessee Titans 7-4 - Marcus Mariota Round 1 Pick 2
    Jacksonville Jaguars 7-4 - Blake Bortles Round 1 Pick 3
    Kansas City Chiefs 6-5 - Alex Smith Round 1 Pick 1
    Philadelphia Eagles 10-1 - Carson Wentz Round 1 Pick 2
    Minnesota Vikings 9-2 - Case Keenum Undrafted
    Detroit Lions 6-5 - Matthew Stafford Round 1 Pick 1
    New Orleans Saints 8-3 - Drew Brees Round 2 Pick 32
    Carolina Panthers 8-3 - Cam Newton Round 1 Pick 1
    Atlanta Falcons 7-4 - Matt Ryan Round 1 Pick 3

Los Angeles Rams 8-3 - Jared Goff Round 1 Pick 1
    Seattle Seahawks 7-4 - Russell Wilson Round 3 Pick 75

Notice that the bold players 50/50 in round 1 that are consistently playoff bound. Seattle, New England and New Orleans weren't even drafted in the 1st round.

Heck even our Super Bowl QB Kurt Warner wasn't even drafted.
    Thanks for pulling this together; I was going to start doing a list but got pulled away. You did some great work here.

I just found this link on wiki as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ootball_League

My quick count has 11 starters drafted in the top 5 (recency plays a factor here), another 4 between 10 and 30, and the rest after 30. Lots of value at any placement.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Ill bet you a penny there are more HOF 1st rounders than HOF 5th rounders.
    Just gonna go off the top of my head but Brett Favre and Joe Montana weren't drafted in the first round. Neither was Roger Staubach or Fran Tarkenton. Now I will give you Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. Still it is about 50/50 with big name QB's. Point stressed that draft is all a crap shoot.

Now Steve Young was Round 1 but it was a supplemental draft.

Actually surprising enough only 14 Hall of Fame QB's were drafted in the 1st round while 15 have been either undrafted or 2nd round and beyond. Again it is about 50/50 chance of taking a Hall of Fame QB in the first round

Source: http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes...y-draft-round/
    "Let's Shock The World" - Kurt Warner Jan 10, 2009 after defeating Carolina Panthers 33-13