Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many posters here seem content with mediocrity?

Quote Originally Posted by Drachir View Post
    Just gonna go off the top of my head but Brett Favre and Joe Montana weren't drafted in the first round. Neither was Roger Staubach or Fran Tarkenton. Now I will give you Terry Bradshaw, Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. Still it is about 50/50 with big name QB's. Point stressed that draft is all a crap shoot.

Now Steve Young was Round 1 but it was a supplemental draft.

Actually surprising enough only 14 Hall of Fame QB's were drafted in the 1st round while 15 have been either undrafted or 2nd round and beyond. Again it is about 50/50 chance of taking a Hall of Fame QB in the first round

Source: http://www.profootballhof.com/heroes...y-draft-round/
    QBs round 1: 14

QBs round 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.....:15

1 round by itself: 14
    All other rounds combined: 15

Do I need to explain this is not 50/50?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

Simple Math: 14/29 is 48% that a HOF QB will be selected in 1st round. 15/29 is 52% that a HOF QB will be selected in rounds 2 and beyond or undrafted. Not more complicated than that. You can't pick and choose one without the other. Although you said 5th round I didn't.
    "Let's Shock The World" - Kurt Warner Jan 10, 2009 after defeating Carolina Panthers 33-13

QBs Round 1, difference between #1-#5, #6-#16 and beyond? Those 50% came from all over round one...

Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post
    I will never understand someone wanting their NFL team to lose a game. How could any true fan be watching that game and want to lose to the Jags.

You must not have any competetive spirit at all.

How is picking in the top 5 every year working out for the Browns. There is no guarantee you hit on the player you get at that spot.

You wish the Cards has a bunch of quitters like this board has? How does that lead to success in the future?
    It doesn't matter where we pick. We need to lose in order for the ownership to get the message. We don't have a GM/HC who can compete with the top guys in the NFL. It's not about draft position, it's about getting the right GM/HC in here who can build a winning team against the top organizations. We don't have it we will not win a SB with Keim and BA ever no matter where we draft. Losing is the only way the ownership will get the message.

Iíd add to this conversation we have a QB picked round 1, pick 1, who was considered a huge bust until coming here. Another picked round 1, pick 10, who was considered a huge bust but just beat the team that picked him 6 1/2 yrs ago. Another in the early second by the Lions, who has never done anything besides photographing BA in compromising situations and winning Dancing on the Sidelines. Another who many thought would be top 10, and had even been projected a top pick in April 2012, 5 short years ago, before he slid for an injury, and hasnít done anything.

The draft is no sure bet. Not even the first round. But being willing to tank is a sure bet in losing respect and a locker room.

Yea but Tom Brady was selected in the 6th round. YAWN.

You increase odds of selecting a top rate QB with a top 5 pick. It's all about the odds in the crap shoot.

It's not that complicated.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Yea but Tom Brady was selected in the 6th round. YAWN.

You increase odds of selecting a top rate QB with a top 5 pick. It's all about the odds in the crap shoot.

It's not that complicated.
    You don't increase the odds of getting a top QB. You increase the odds of getting the QB your teams GM wants. There is a huge difference.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    The question becomes is losing the only way to get the guy you want...?

NO.

Also, who do you want to bad in this draft? Who is an immediate organizational transformation as soon as he suits up?

I see pretty extensive change coming, but none of it requires we continue losing prior to doing so.

And, let's be completely honest, the defense is not that far away. On that side of the ball it's more about nastiness and intensity. I'd go into next season with the same group if I could trade out Dansby and the CB2 while making HB a situational player.

On OL, we need a complete overhaul.

All of that can be done with the 10-20th pick.
    Great post.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    You don't increase the odds of getting a top QB. You increase the odds of getting the QB your teams GM wants. There is a huge difference.
    Well I would assume your GM wants a top QB.

And the top QB's like Cam Newton, Payton Manning , Carson Wentz, Geff Goff are ranked high for a reason.

Unless your the Chicago Bears and do bizarre things.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

Quote Originally Posted by maricopa_taco View Post
    I am sure that fans will show up to the games if MB/SK/BA started tanking the season purposely.... Season ticket holders will pay premium for 2 - 3 years of bad games....
    Season ticket holders will pay for hope. If the team trades up to draft a QB like USC's Sam Darnold, the season ticket holders will have something to look forward to. What season ticket holders don't want is to be told by Steve Keim that drafting another QB like Logan Thomas is the answer and a steal. Season ticket holders don't want to be told that the QB drafted in the later rounds is the answer and that they were smart for not trading up. No one is buying that outside of people on this forum who seem to drink the Kool Aid and be sold on any move the front office makes (see Justin Bethel and Brandon Williams as examples of people drinking the Kool Aid)
    Go Cardinals!