Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The cardinals will not draft a Qb in the first round

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by MSloan View Post
    Enjoy posting up in the NFC West basement for years to come if that is the case, going back to the Max Hall/John Skelton carousel of garbage passers. Palmer is on his last legs and Gabbert is a lousy quarterback in every sense who should be doing nothing more beyond holding a clipboard on the sidelines. QB isn't just a need, it is THE need. Without a QB you're not winning a thing.
    This isn't totally true.

Jacksonville has the 27th rated passer and are 8-4. #1 D.
    Tennessee has the 29th rated passer and are 8-4. #11 D.
    Carolina has the 26th rated passer and are 8-4. #2 D.
    Minnesota has the 11th rated passer and are 10-2. The catch is that he's a journeyman backup and he's 3rd string. #5 D.

The point is, you don't have to be relegated to the bottom of the standings if your QB isn't producing. You have to have some luck with health and a great D. That's all about the HC.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    I see us drafting a first round QB this year, and very possibly moving up to get a guy we want. In previous years we had our QB1, much like the examples of Rivers or Dalton above. Even when I look back at how badly I wanted Bridgewater or Carr, I realize they most likely would have sat behind Carson. Same with Mahomes or Watson last year. Fact is we had Palmer under contract until 2018.

I donít think any of us see Carson playing in 2019. This is either his last year, or next year is. Either way, it means itís time for QBOF.

If we donít, due to a trade for a vet or being content with Gabbert for a try or w/e, Iíd think we go Oline.
    History isn't kind to Olinemen who are drafted to a team lead by BA. If we do draft one, he might not play.

I'm fine with CP being here next year if we draft a QBoF. Honestly, what are the odds he survives a full season? He hasn't made it through one unscathed yet. 2015 doesn't count because he busted his finger which lost us a SB. If not CP, then Blaine is fine. I don't want to sign another vet not named Cousins. Might as well have Gabbert back. I'm not sure what he'll look like, but if he sucks we can bench him.

So the QBoF will start next year anyway.

And I'm not all that worried about drafting high in the 1st. I'm far more worried about our ability to assess college QB prospects. Keim will really prove himself if he drafts a legitimate QB. That means no Manziels, Lockers, or Wheedons. Other teams are stupid and draft guys like these. We just have to be smart and go after a legit prospect that slips. They do almost every year.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    This isn't totally true.

Minnesota has the 11th rated passer and are 10-2. The catch is that he's a journeyman backup and he's 3rd string. #5 D.

The point is, you don't have to be relegated to the bottom of the standings if your QB isn't producing. You have to have some luck with health and a great D. That's all about the HC.
    With the exception of TN they all are also in the top 5 running the ball. Newton has 5 TD's running the ball. The only QB who sucks is Jacksonville but they have the No. 1 running attack. MN has the No. 2 running attack. Carolina has the No. 4 running attack. The only outlier is TN but they also have a top 10 rushing attack.

Nobody ever said you can't win in the NFL with great D and a great running attack. Going back 20 years the only QB who aren't going to be in the HOF who have held the VL trophy are Flacco, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer. Dilfer had the No. 1 D and rushing attack, Johnson had the No. 1 D and No. 5 rushing attack. Flacco was the only QB who had neither and won a SB. He did however become a big time playmaker during their SB playoff run. In 4 games he had 11 TD's and 0 Int's. He was amazingly in the zone and played HOF quality for that run.

If the Cards are ďwaiting for their guy to dropĒ they wonít be getting anyone. You are either aggressive in getting a QB or you get the leftovers.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

I think your really wrong on who will and won't draft a QB in the first round.

Cleveland will draft one with one of their picks. I don't think their sold on Kizner.
    Giants will draft one.
    Denver will.
    Jets will.
    Skins will unless they can resign Cousins.

The only team you mentioned who won't is Miami. Now the rest might not depending on which QB are off the board. All those teams are QB needy. Same as our Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    I think your really wrong on who will and won't draft a QB in the first round.

Cleveland will draft one with one of their picks. I don't think their sold on Kizner.
    Giants will draft one.
    Denver will.
    Jets will.
    Skins will unless they can resign Cousins.

The only team you mentioned who won't is Miami. Now the rest might not depending on which QB are off the board. All those teams are QB needy. Same as our Cards.
    I'm not so sure. Cleveland might not give up on Kizer. He has shown glimpses. I'd say He has at least been better than Goff was and probably close to what Wentz did as a rookie on a far better team. So they might hope for similar improvement we have all seen in those two guys.
    Giants drafted Webb this year, so maybe they pump the breaks. They have major O line issues, so they could get Quenton Nelson? Or trade back to still try to get him. If the Cardinals are 8, the Giants might still think they can get their guy by moving back?
    Jets could well grab a QB, or shock the NFL world and go with Hackenberg. Who knows with them? And if they did I think they go with a hype guy, rather than the one I like.

The new HC could decide he doesn't want to get a rookie QB Carr'ed behind the Cards line and target Nelson, rather than a QB, and turn in the golden ticket in the second and take my guy Woodside**, who can sit for a year behind whoever is under centre next year.

So much to play out. A new HC changes everything.

** Its a bit of a disappointment that the Bowl game for Toledo is against Appalachian State. They will be good opponents, but I'd have preferred to see them take on a more high profile team.
    Last edited by Northern Soul; 12-04-2017 at 07:29 AM.
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    This isn't totally true.

But if you want to consistently compete year after year you need a stud QB. Brady, RW, Rogers, etc.
    I have a girlfriend and a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    We won't take a WR in round 1 if BASK are at the helm, they have said multiple times that they don't value WR in the first round. Also there is nobody this year who jumps out as a high first round pick.

OL there is a good chance. Nelson and McGlinchy are the obvious two, interested to see how Orlando Brown tests in the combine.

Plenty of time between now and the draft but looking how it stands before todays games...

1) Cleveland - Maybe, maybe not. There has been improvements in Kizer, maybe they don't write him off just yet (if they did though, I'd take happily take him off their hands).
    2) 49'ers - Very unlikely after getting Jimmy G, prime trade spot.
    3) Giants - Maybe, if they liked Webb last year why wouldn't you like him this year?
    4) Denver - Think they will be in play for a FA like Smith/ Cousins/ Manning.
    5) Indy - Nope
    6) Chicago - Nope and another prime trade spot.
    7) Cleveland - See 1
    8) Jets - I think they will take a shot
    9) Miami - I think they will ride Tannehill one more year.
    10) Tampa - Nope
    11) 'Skins - If they don't resign Cousins then yes. Though I could see someone like Smith landing here.
    12) Chargers - Maybe if they want to start grooming the heir apparent for Rivers.
    13) Bengals - Maybe but I think they ride the Dalton train another year.
    Yeah that what I was thinking...some of the team's that are drafting ahead of us this drafted a QB last year.

Cardinals have to take a QB in round 1.
    The more you care..the more it hurts.

This is the year to do it because there are 3-5 solid QB options with "First round talent". Keep in mind we are saying that now, but after all the offseason stuff it will start to shake out.

We have a bunch of comp picks, so we SHOULD be able to trade up without decimating more than one draft. We will have a top 15 pick, plus a second, 2 3rds, 2 4ths.

What I do not want to do under any circumstance is to offer up basically 2 entire drafts. We have so many old guys that we need picks to restock the ranks. If we need to offer next year's 1st, so be it...but not the entire draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    I'm not so sure. Cleveland might not give up on Kizer. He has shown glimpses. I'd say He has at least been better than Goff was and probably close to what Wentz did as a rookie on a far better team. So they might hope for similar improvement we have all seen in those two guys.
    Giants drafted Webb this year, so maybe they pump the breaks. They have major O line issues, so they could get Quenton Nelson? Or trade back to still try to get him. If the Cardinals are 8, the Giants might still think they can get their guy by moving back?
    Jets could well grab a QB, or shock the NFL world and go with Hackenberg. Who knows with them? And if they did I think they go with a hype guy, rather than the one I like.

The new HC could decide he doesn't want to get a rookie QB Carr'ed behind the Cards line and target Nelson, rather than a QB, and turn in the golden ticket in the second and take my guy Woodside**, who can sit for a year behind whoever is under centre next year.

So much to play out. A new HC changes everything.

** Its a bit of a disappointment that the Bowl game for Toledo is against Appalachian State. They will be good opponents, but I'd have preferred to see them take on a more high profile team.
    Watched Kizer a couple times and the kid is actually very talented. The Browns are just the Browns. Which means they will pick another QB even though they probably donít need one.
    Still searching for our QBOF.