Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Keim GM has to go

Default Steve Keim GM has to go

I understand Bruce Arians has underachieved. But we also need to remember he won a Superbowl with the Steelers. That tells you his system works if he has the right players. The reason we've declined so much is Steve Keim has failed as GM. His drafts have been lousy. The last 2 drafts been busts. Even Budda Baker can't cover. Baker is a great special teams player and is good against the run functioning as an undersized linebacker. However, Baker has failed to prove he can cover. Budda has been burned multiple times and a safety's top responsibility is in coverage. Until we replace Steve Keim, we are not really addressing the problem. If you examine our draft history, the one common denominator is Keim. Rod Graves was the GM in name only but Keim was essentially in charge of our drafts. That's not me making this up. Look at his job responsibilities and titles. He was first director of scouting and then moved to Vice President of Player Personnel. He was the guy running the show outside of Green's tenure. Sure, there were certain decisions made by coaches like the trade for Kevin Kolb which was driven by Whisenhunt but most of the draft decisions were made by Keim.

If you look at our GM's, the best GM we had was Denny Green. Green wasn't a great coach but he was a great GM. He ran our drafts. Don't believe me, read this article Green took over as GM and didn't allow Keim and Co to manage those drafts. If Steve Keim had been in charge, you can bet he would have passed on Larry Fitzgerald in favor of an OL or DL. Also, look at our drafts under Green in 3 years

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-car...rdinals-around

2004: Fitzgerald, Dansby, Dockett, Antonio Smith
    2005: Antrelle Rolle, JJ Arrington, Eric Green
    2006: Deuce Lutui

In three years, Green did better than Keim has in all of his drafts. I think all of you are in love with Keim for no reason other than nepotism. Yeah he is a big burly guy you can relate to who has been in Arizona for a long time so he is like your best buddy next door. That's not a reason to keep him as your GM. The concern all of us should have is we replace our coach but we still draft the same lousy players and the next coach looks bad. What happens when the next coach fails too. Is it always the coaches fault? How many coaches have to fail before you recognize the common demonitor of failure is Keim.

We need to break free from the Rod Graves/Steve Keim legacy and go with a new approach.
    Last edited by cardinalsDO; 12-04-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    I understand Bruce Arians has underachieved. But we also need to remember he won a Superbowl with the Steelers. That tells you his system works if he has the right players. The reason we've declined so much is Steve Keim has failed as GM. His drafts have been lousy. The last 2 drafts been busts. Even Budda Baker can't cover. Baker is a great special teams player and is good against the run functioning as an undersized linebacker. However, Baker has failed to prove he can cover. Budda has been burned multiple times and a safety's top responsibility is in coverage. Until we replace Steve Keim, we are not really addressing the problem. If you examine our draft history, the one common denominator is Keim. Rod Graves was the GM in name only but Keim was essentially in charge of our drafts. That's not me making this up. Look at his job responsibilities and titles. He was first director of scouting and then moved to Vice President of Player Personnel. He was the guy running the show outside of Green's tenure. Sure, there were certain decisions made by coaches like the trade for Kevin Kolb which was driven by Whisenhunt but most of the draft decisions were made by Keim.

If you look at our GM's, the best GM we had was Denny Green. Green wasn't a great coach but he was a great GM. He ran our drafts. Don't believe me, read this article Green took over as GM and didn't allow Keim and Co to manage those drafts. If Steve Keim had been in charge, you can bet he would have passed on Larry Fitzgerald in favor of an OL or DL. Also, look at our drafts under Green in 3 years

In three years, Green did better than Keim has in all of his drafts. I think all of you are in love with Keim for no reason other than nepotism. Yeah he is a big burly guy you can relate to who has been in Arizona for a long time so he is like your best buddy next door. That's not a reason to keep him as your GM.
    You are really gonna hear it from the Budda Baker fan club. The Cards gave up a ton for him. He is a baller, another version of Honey Badger. It’s not like the Badger could ever cover that well. I think Budda is tougher against the run and if used right can be a good contributor. We have had much bigger diappointments.

You should have just stopped with 2004. Green had ONE AMAZING draft. Antrelle Rolle was a good player, but the rest of 2005 and 2006 was garbage. Why you would even list Eric Green is beyond me. JJ Arrington didn’t ever do anything special either. You have one guy in those two years that did something and you use that for your argument as to why Green was so amazing?

In that argument getting DJ, Marcus Golden and David Johnson in a draft could rival 2004. Add in Gunter and JJ Nelson who have been contributors that draft looks very solid.

I am not here to defend Keim’s picks. We have had some ugly picks and ugly drafts with him at the helm. Fact is Green’s drafting is very overrated because of 2004 which he nailed.
    Last edited by Belac44; 12-04-2017 at 01:27 PM.

Keim is on the hot seat if he let's yet another draft go by without addressing QBOTF. Have some balls and trade up if you like a guy, Keim. No retreads and no waiting until the middle rounds to find a "small school project"

In three years, Green did better than Keim has in all of his drafts. I think all of you are in love with Keim for no reason other than nepotism. Yeah he is a big burly guy you can relate to who has been in Arizona for a long time so he is like your best buddy next door. That's not a reason to keep him as your GM. The concern all of us should have is we replace our coach but we still draft the same lousy players and the next coach looks bad. What happens when the next coach fails too. Is it always the coaches fault? How many coaches have to fail before you recognize the common demonitor of failure is Keim.

We need to break free from the Rod Graves/Steve Keim legacy and go with a new approach.
    I have to split a hair here on Arians... he "won" a SB as an offensive coordinator. Now he's the head coach. Completely different skill sets, so it's not as simple as saying he's got what it takes to be a successful head coach. One thing a successful head coach needs is the ability to be realistic about his staff, which includes a number of guys. If it's not working, he's got to fix it. As an OC I ASSUME THAT MOST OF WHAT HE DOES centers around preparing the offensive game plan for the week. Doesn't need to "coach up" the offensive line, or decide how the defense is going to get the job done, etc.. Like a walk in the park compared to his current gig.

In three years, Green did better than Keim has in all of his drafts..
    I'm splitting hairs too.
    You are comparing Green, who was a coach to Keim who is a GM.

You are saying Graves did great, even though you didn't mean to.
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    I'm splitting hairs too.
    You are comparing Green, who was a coach to Keim who is a GM.

You are saying Graves did great, even though you didn't mean to.
    Denny Green controlled Draft Day during his tenure, not Graves.

Lol @ Budda being anywhere close to a “disappointment”.

Starting to think CardinalsDo, Birdgang95, & KerryRhodes26. When one posts, the other one is very quick to respond.
    Last edited by ClutchDJ; 12-04-2017 at 03:09 PM.

I'm still okay to stick it out with Keim for another draft.

He's had some head scratchers(I'm not sure why he always feels the need to get a "small school" guy) but I'd rate his tenure as GM as a relative success so far(no one will hit 100% of the time in the draft).

He's done a great job getting guys to come here on short deals and they've produced. Can't ask for much more out of FA unless you're willing to drop crazy money.
    I was gonna post a pic, but honey badger don't give a dang.

I think Keim has done fine other than an apparent refusal to put his foot down when it comes to FOB and their failures to execute. He brought in the best duo Dawson and Lee. Special teams continues to be the biggest joke in league history despite their best efforts.