Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colin kaepernick is not the original. Dave meggyssey was/link

Quote Originally Posted by Redhammer View Post
    [/B]

CK is still working out in hopes of a return. Here's the link. Somebody could possibly get a quality QB on the cheap.

http://www.businessinsider.com/colin...fl-job-2018-3/

Jon Gruden believes CK will end up on somebody's roster. I really wish the Cards would bring him into camp to assess if anything is left. We took in Blaine Gabbert who got the start over CK only to lose it back to CK and subsequently spun out with us also...........which says a lot given that he was given a chance to just beat out Drew Stanton.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...a-roster-soon/
    Redhammer, thanks for the link. I searched sites last week but did not see that Thursday release. Interesting. My view of CK's footballs skills have not changed since he last played with SF and was in steep decline physically. Many 2nd and 3rd tier QBs are better. Stanton too.

IMO, CK's desire is still there -- albeit skills are rusty. His PR effort is not at all clicking with the NFL GMs. Otherwise, CK would be on some team's roster and we would not be having this conversation. CK needs to do something else besides make private undated videos and conduct sports media interviews off the record. Why didn't he go to the Texas A&M Pro Day like another castoff QB and showcase his skills and newfound attitude? I wonder about CK's solo strategy. His CA family must be influencing aspects of his PR campaign. I think that until CK publicly distances himself from the CA-based SJW advocates (and he apparently still is one himself) then GMs will remain silent on that former QB. Remember, CK did things on and off the field that contributed to the NFL's declining ratings. Lastly, John Gruden's comments are irrelevant. Proof is that the Raiders FO neither embraces CK's skills nor his availability with a contract. Gruden also doesn't speak for the media and NFL anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Redhammer, thanks for the link. I searched sites last week but did not see that Thursday release. Interesting. My view of CK's footballs skills have not changed since he last played with SF and was in steep decline physically. Many 2nd and 3rd tier QBs are better. Stanton too.

IMO, CK's desire is still there -- albeit skills are rusty. His PR effort is not at all clicking with the NFL GMs. Otherwise, CK would be on some team's roster and we would not be having this conversation. CK needs to do something else besides make private undated videos and conduct sports media interviews off the record. Why didn't he go to the Texas A&M Pro Day like another castoff QB and showcase his skills and newfound attitude? I wonder about CK's solo strategy. His CA family must be influencing aspects of his PR campaign. I think that until CK publicly distances himself from the CA-based SJW advocates (and he apparently still is one himself) then GMs will remain silent on that former QB. Remember, CK did things on and off the field that contributed to the NFL's declining ratings. Lastly, John Gruden's comments are irrelevant. Proof is that the Raiders FO neither embraces CK's skills nor his availability with a contract. Gruden also doesn't speak for the media and NFL anymore.

Lot to respond to here. Some very good points and some not. Also not sure what you based the comparison on that I highlighted. The guy came off the bench and put up good numbers after winning his job back, and on a team that fell apart all around him. Stanton didn't do that, nor the guy CK won his job back from whom we hired. The prevailing view I've been hearing and reading is that CK rates as the best free agent QB out there (or at least use to) which is what makes his unemployment so controversial as I understand the matter. As for the comment about his skills declining, I think that's a valid speculation that shouldn't be so readily dismissed by anyone. My only argument there is that given his QB rating and experience that few players in his position has (i.e. Superbowl), he at least deserves a shot on someone's roster to prove himself one way or another. You can always cut him and just move on.....which would be more credible than just ignoring somebody like that. Guys with less proven skills have been given such a chance, so that argument becomes a bit of a red herring after a while. Also IMO what you point out about why the GM's are keeping their distance, sounds after the fact to me. They seem to have it in for him from the moment he took a knee protesting a controversial matter that has once again just a few days ago come to the public forefront sparking a nationwide outburst.

As for Jon Gruden's comments, I think we can agree that it means nothing unless he, being in a position to address the matter, puts his money where his mouth is or at least attempts to exercise some influence on what he professes to believe. At this point I'm just giving him some credit for at least speaking up instead of avoiding the matter as I think so many are doing (including the player's union).

Default Oder Persists

Quote Originally Posted by Redhammer View Post
    Lot to respond to here. Some very good points and some not. Also not sure what you based the comparison on that I highlighted. The guy came off the bench and put up good numbers after winning his job back, and on a team that fell apart all around him. Stanton didn't do that, nor the guy CK won his job back from whom we hired. The prevailing view I've been hearing and reading is that CK rates as the best free agent QB out there (or at least use to) which is what makes his unemployment so controversial as I understand the matter. As for the comment about his skills declining, I think that's a valid speculation that shouldn't be so readily dismissed by anyone. My only argument there is that given his QB rating and experience that few players in his position has (i.e. Superbowl), he at least deserves a shot on someone's roster to prove himself one way or another. You can always cut him and just move on.....which would be more credible than just ignoring somebody like that. Guys with less proven skills have been given such a chance, so that argument becomes a bit of a red herring after a while. Also IMO what you point out about why the GM's are keeping their distance, sounds after the fact to me. They seem to have it in for him from the moment he took a knee protesting a controversial matter that has once again just a few days ago come to the public forefront sparking a nationwide outburst.

As for Jon Gruden's comments, I think we can agree that it means nothing unless he, being in a position to address the matter, puts his money where his mouth is or at least attempts to exercise some influence on what he professes to believe. At this point I'm just giving him some credit for at least speaking up instead of avoiding the matter as I think so many are doing (including the player's union).
    Redhammer, the CK QB unemployment dilemma was almost resolved thanks to SEA in late March. News today: Apparently the Seattle GM and HC were back in the Colin Kaepernick market 2-3 weeks ago. Who would have guessed Russ Wilson needs a backup! The secret courtship between the two camps ended quickly when CK signaled that he was standing (?) his ground on principle. Good for CK. A man has to believe in something. I believe in the Cards 26-28 April!

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    Redhammer, the CK QB unemployment dilemma was almost resolved thanks to SEA in late March. News today: Apparently the Seattle GM and HC were back in the Colin Kaepernick market 2-3 weeks ago. Who would have guessed Russ Wilson needs a backup! The secret courtship between the two camps ended quickly when CK signaled that he was standing (?) his ground on principle. Good for CK. A man has to believe in something. I believe in the Cards 26-28 April!
    ‘Yo hire me so I can protest on company time.’

‘Yeah we will pass.”
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Kaepernick deserves credit for kicking everything off and leading to the concessions that the NFL made in the form of money given to social justice causes but somewhere his whole movement fell off the rails. The guys leading the way now are Malcolm Jenkins, Anquan and others. They are the ones meeting with NFL owners, they are going to Congress, they are meeting with police officials and criminal justice experts, they are pushing the whole thing forward where the Kaepernick/Reid/Thomas branch basically ended up sitting around and whining about everything, complaining that the players who got the NFL owners to spend $90 million had "sold out."

Kaepernick's actions resulted in others stepping forward and people with an actual gameplan going beyond Kaepernick and making stuff happen. Kaepernick got sidetracked over stupid things like lecturing a journalist who was a Cuban exile on how awesome life actually is in Cuba. Then you wound up with his girlfriend comparing the Ravens owner to a slaveholder and the franchise's top player to an Uncle Tom. It got to the point where even the players involved were thanking him but sidelining him in negotiations with the NFL.

Default ck

as tempting as it is I will not comment on the social issue at the center of the ck saga. rather I will state that an employer has the right to dictate employee conduct as long as it does not involve race, sex, religion, creed, or sexual preference. therefore nfl owners can insist that players stand for the anthem. ck or any employee ais free to protest on their own time.

ck would have more influence on correcting the issue at hand if he stood for the anthem, worked his tail off to become a better qb and did his thing off the field to help his cause. imho the whole thing was a sham, merely an attempt to garner attention for himself.

again, inmho the primary reason why ck is unemployed is a doubt in his ability now...any team that signs him will have to accept the huge distraction that signing him would cause as well as facing a media @%$storm if he is cut later. one thing that would absolutely destroy any pro sports locker room is conflict between players of different races.

Well, I look at all this one of two ways. Bad publicity can make for bad business. The NFL is a business. I get the fan base argument where CK is concerned. The counter argument to that is that if a team does what it's suppose to do anyway to earn fan support......which is win......then it wouldn't matter. Making it to postseason let alone to the SB will offset the discord and bring back any malcontents. That's just the nature of the beast. The other way I see it is that if any team actually does what Seattle has talked about doing, it could possibly save the league a lot of money. Whether CK won a starting position or road the bench as a back up, it could greatly impact his case of collusion. Fan boards like this can express all the opinions about CK they want but the bottom line is that there is one reason and only one reason he is not on somebody's roster, and how he ranks compared to every other QB taken ahead of him is a matter of record. The question is how well will his lawyers convey his case. Opinions don't reign in the court of law......facts do.

Finally, I have never really been a fan of CK as I am of other opposing QB's like a Wilson or a Rogers. But I am a fan of the man's conscious for standing up for what he believes to be a gross injustice. I've seen first hand the impact such a stance can have on an athlete's career. My late cousin was a professional athlete who sacrificed career for what he believed to be an injustice though granted for different reasons than what we are discussing. But the criteria compares, standing up out of concern for others. I can still remember as a kid going to watch him play........those rare occasions of him giving us a ride home after a game in his big beautiful Buick convertible......the look on some of the neighborhood kids faces who were out past curfew looking on in disbelief as my brother, stepfather and I were getting out of the back seat of a superstar's car. To this day I don't know what angers me more, his attempt at a comeback seeing the toll it took on him or the fact that all of these players today who are making big money for what he did, not even doing anything significant to honor him in memory. I won't mention his name and probably don't need to, but one name I will mention is Dave Winfield of whom I had the pleasure of meeting and expressing some feelings where my cousin was concerned. He understood and said as a player rep he and some others attempted to do something along the lines of commemoration, but that the problem was the further you got generation wise from the historic landmark, the more difficult it became to garner support for the idea. That didn't make me feel any better but it at least gave me some sense of closure to what I was feeling. So in short, I applaud CK for his stance though there may (or may not) have been a better way and I hope justice prevails. To me the only thing unpatriotic concerning CK is punishing him for exercising free speech and demonizing him for it.