Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Cardinal Coaching Candidates / Links

Default Prediiction-Bill O'Brien Next Cardinals Head Coach

Where there's smoke there's fire and there was more news today that Bill O'Brien and Rick Smith cannot get along. There relationship is being called dysfunctional. For whatever reason I think ownership sides with Rick Smith. It appears O'Brien is on a short leash already as he hasn't been given a contract extension with '18 being the last year of his deal. If Bill is canned SK should hire him 5 seconds after interviewing Harold Goodwin to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

Look at what O'Brien has been able to do in Houston with mediocre qb play. Multiple winning seasons without much talent. Look at the difference in how Christian Hackenburg played when O'Brien was at Penn St and when he left for Houston? Hackenburg totally regressed. Matt McGloin lasted several years in the NFL in good part to good coaching by O'Brien at Penn St. I think the guy is an excellent coach, particularly on offense. The way he molded the offense around Watson's strengths earlier this year says it all.

We already have the makings of a top 5 defense. We need a coach who is hard nosed, gets his team to play hard, and who can help our qb situation and get this offense back on track. I think O'Brien checks all the boxes.
    "It's not a lie if you believe it."
    George Castanza

I like O’Brien but starting Savage over Watson has me very concerned.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Don't rule out Harold Goodwin getting the job if BA is let go. Would be a decent amount of money still owed to him. That could keep Arizona from make a play at a big name HC and a while new staff. Goodwin would come cheap and properly would not need to make much staff chamge.

Not saying I would want him. Just that something like that could happen.

Not sure if I would be on bored with Bill O'Brien being the next HC.
    Last edited by McCollum,Travis; 12-29-2017 at 11:10 PM.

John DeFilippo.

I'd prefer John DeFilippo or Matt LaFleur but this seems very realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by McCollum,Travis View Post
    Don't rule out Harold Goodwin getting the job if BA is let go. Would be a decent amount of money still owed to him. That could keep Arizona from make a play at a big name HC and a while new staff. Goodwin would come cheap and properly would not need to make much staff chamge.

Not saying I would want him. Just that something like that could happen.

Not sure if I would be on bored with Bill O'Brien being the next HC.
    BA has one year left and he wont be fired. He's going to retire most likely, so I don't believe that's money owed.

Goodwin would set this franchise back to the Rod Graves era.

I'd take a good look at O'Brien for sure. I'd be on "bored" with it .

The Jets smartly extended Bowles so my dream there is over. Goodwin gets the job and the franchise is right back to "same old Cardinals" so that's not happening. The "Cardinals are cheap" reason for hiring Goodwin doesn't apply with Mike in charge.

O'Brien would probably be worth a shot, a new whisperer, albeit without a book on the shelves to prove he's a high-quality whisperer. I'm not concerned about the Savage/Watson affair, as I recall he pulled the plug on Savage after game one.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    BA has one year left and he wont be fired. He's going to retire most likely, so I don't believe that's money owed.

Goodwin would set this franchise back to the Rod Graves era.

If BA retires I would love O'Brien. I am not worried he chose savage over Watson. Coach had not seen enough of Watson to assure himself he could put the pressure on him game one. Look what he was doing with him once he started him.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

Geodwin would set this franchise back to the Rod Graves era.

Agree,

I'd rather have Chris Rock to satisfy the Rooney Rule
    over Goodwin at least he would be entertaning.
    The guy can't fix a offensive line much less a whole team.

As far as O'Brien, I'm for it if he is a fit.
    Last edited by FLCardinalFan; 12-30-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    I like O’Brien but starting Savage over Watson has me very concerned.
    perhaps the wait and extra time help in his development and acclimation to the NFL.