Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Arizona Cardinal Coaching Candidates / Links

Quote Originally Posted by 11andCounting View Post
    Mike Jurecki, a local Phoenix reporter and Cards insider, tweeted about 25 minutes ago that Bettcher is a candidate for the Bears DC job. Also said that Vic Fangio is likely to follow Shurmur.

I could get pretty excited with Fangio running our D. He’s a 3-4 guy so that would align with our defensive personnel.
    If true, I really hate to lose James Bettcher. He's molded a mostly effective ARI defense scheme in 3 years and the stats prove it. He did pretty good with the players available.

But if the new HC brings in his own DC, and JB walks, Vic Fangio is not an upgrade, in my opinion. VF is probably a step backward. His resume doesn't impress me.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    If true, I really hate to lose James Bettcher. He's molded a mostly effective ARI defense scheme in 3 years and the stats prove it. He did pretty good with the players available.

But if the new HC brings in his own DC, and JB walks, Vic Fangio is not an upgrade, in my opinion. VF is probably a step backward. His resume doesn't impress me.
    You kidding
    "It's OUR Time"

Honestly I am not picking on you PUTMEIN haha

I think if Steve Wilks was the #1 candidate, he'd be the ARI HC already. Since he's not the HC by now, my money is on someone else as #1, probably Shurmur. This process could drag out a few more weeks.
    I disagree on Wilks. From the start I think they were going to take their time on it. Everyone thought Wilks was nailed on to be the Giants HC and that now looks less likely to be the case which means the Cardinals can bide their time a little.

Again I disagree. Bettcher (to me at least) seems to have been put on some sort of pedestal as a great DC and I think he exemplifies mediocrity. We were 19th last season in points scored against us, stop the run/stop the pass all you like but teams put points up when playing this D. This is backed up by the scoring ranges, 6 teams put up 30+ points on us (one of which was a Tom Savage led Texans team....), 5 teams 20-29 and 5 teams 0-19, that doesn't make for good reading at all. Also look at the lack of turnovers this D created last year, 15 interceptions and 6 fumbles ranks us joint 23th, only 6 teams were below us. This is a D which has been heavily invested in for a number of years, we have a round 1 draft pick on the DL, 2 round 1's at ILB, 2 round 2's at OLB, a top 5 corner, one of the highest paid safeties, a 2nd round safety, some well paid vets in Branch and Bethea. Lastly the eye test is what I always go by, Bowles created an elite D when he was here, he went toe to toe with the opposing OC and the majority of the time he won those battles. As a coach he had the ability to make OK players good and good players great. Can we really say the same about Bettcher? I haven't seen it. A terrible analogy but screw it, we gave Bettcher all the ingredients to make a banquet fit for a king, instead he used the pig and did a hogroast instead. Everyone went home full and enjoyed the night, but nobody is going to writing home about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Honestly I am not picking on you PUTMEIN haha

I disagree on Wilks. From the start I think they were going to take their time on it. Everyone thought Wilks was nailed on to be the Giants HC and that now looks less likely to be the case which means the Cardinals can bide their time a little.

Again I disagree. Bettcher (to me at least) seems to have been put on some sort of pedestal as a great DC and I think he exemplifies mediocrity. We were 19th last season in points scored against us, stop the run/stop the pass all you like but teams put points up when playing this D. This is backed up by the scoring ranges, 6 teams put up 30+ points on us (one of which was a Tom Savage led Texans team....), 5 teams 20-29 and 5 teams 0-19, that doesn't make for good reading at all. Also look at the lack of turnovers this D created last year, 15 interceptions and 6 fumbles ranks us joint 23th, only 6 teams were below us. This is a D which has been heavily invested in for a number of years, we have a round 1 draft pick on the DL, 2 round 1's at ILB, 2 round 2's at OLB, a top 5 corner, one of the highest paid safeties, a 2nd round safety, some well paid vets in Branch and Bethea. Lastly the eye test is what I always go by, Bowles created an elite D when he was here, he went toe to toe with the opposing OC and the majority of the time he won those battles. As a coach he had the ability to make OK players good and good players great. Can we really say the same about Bettcher? I haven't seen it. A terrible analogy but screw it, we gave Bettcher all the ingredients to make a banquet fit for a king, instead he used the pig and did a hogroast instead. Everyone went home full and enjoyed the night, but nobody is going to writing home about it.
    Sorry Bettcher doesn't impress you much. He used the players signed by Keim. I don't dispute your facts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    \
    Again I disagree. Bettcher (to me at least) seems to have been put on some sort of pedestal as a great DC and I think he exemplifies mediocrity. We were 19th last season in points scored against us
    You realize that this is only because of a non-existent offense right? AZ has a had a top 5 D every year under Bettcher

With that said I don't want him as as HC either

NBC and it's hacks at Pro Football Talk advise Shurmur not to take the Arizona Cardinal Head Coaching job.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/pat-s...-cardinals-job

What a bunch of weaklings. They say Shurmur should pass because the Cardinals will not be as good as the Rams or Niners
    What a joke! That is his job to make the team better.

Quote Originally Posted by FLCardinalFan View Post
    NBC and it's hacks at Pro Football Talk advise Shurmur not to take the Arizona Cardinal Head Coaching job.

What a bunch of weaklings. They say Shurmur should pass because the Cardinals will not be as good as the Rams or Niners
    I`m pretty sure they are telling the truth...we don`t even own a QB..
    The Wilks era begin

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    I`m pretty sure they are telling the truth...we don`t even own a QB..

We will mark my word!

i'm a homer!

Quote Originally Posted by FLCardinalFan View Post

He took a job with the Browns for Pete’s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    He took a job with the Browns for Pete’s sake.

Glad these clowns are not the GM