Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cards -- Another QB Option might be available come February

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Beavers View Post
    Sounds good and all but Gabbart isnt even better than Stanton... Just typing this post made me more depressed about the 2018 season lol.
    That's my whole point. Get some good Olineman in there to learn their craft and BG is the meat shield for the year. He's worse then Stanton and will get us a better chance at a QB in 2019 draft if this years fails. You can thank Keim for putting us in desperation mode.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    the problem is a mediocre QB will bring us another mediocre record and poor draft position.

If no viable QB is available this offseason , which is entirely a possibility, then I say bite the bullet and use BG for the season. Then we would be right there drafting top 3.
    Poor Gabbert...that would be what? Eight years in a row with a different OC and offensive scheme to learn? I wonder if that has ever happened before.

We need a QBOF and a bridge QB, and the bridge QB should be a guy who is reasonably priced, will be a good team player working with the younger QB, who can eventually hand the reins over and be a solid QB2. Who other than Stanton or Gabbert are available and would fit the bill? Iíve heard Keenumís name. Anyone else? Iíd say Smith is too expensive as a bridge.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Poor Gabbert...that would be what? Eight years in a row with a different OC and offensive scheme to learn? I wonder if that has ever happened before.

We need a QBOF and a bridge QB, and the bridge QB should be a guy who is reasonably priced, will be a good team player working with the younger QB, who can eventually hand the reins over and be a solid QB2. Who other than Stanton or Gabbert are available and would fit the bill? Iíve heard Keenumís name. Anyone else? Iíd say Smith is too expensive as a bridge.
    Maybe KC will run the table in the playoffs, have no choice to resign Alex Smith, and then we can pilfer Mahomes off of them for a couple of 1st rounders. (I can dream.)
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Another veteran QB could be on the market as an undrafted free agent -
    https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/12/...bruary-bengals
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...ree-agent-2018

AJ McCarron may be a UFA and available only costing a team a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick in 2019... just saying that if he wins his grievance and becomes a UFA that the Cards would most likely have interest. If the price is not too steep in the $$, this might be an option to then use some of the CP cap $$ to get a veteran either WR or OL.

Something for SK to consider if he becomes a UFA ... and would dictate the hiring of a great OC or a head coach with offensive or QB development expertise.

It wouldn't cost a team anything. Its the Bengals that might potentially get a comp pick back depending on McCarron's contract and how many free agents of their own they end up signing. Eitherway that is irrelevant to the team that signs him.

Not a fan of McCarron. He looks like he could be a solid game manager as a quarterback and little more. He wasn't super impressive in his few stints as a starter, was surrounded by a whole lot of weapons but didn't make any huge plays short of beating up on a woebegone 49ers team.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyOwhy View Post
    You never know man. Everyone thought we were in rebuild mode when BA took over. We were only a few pieces away from a solid team. Things dwindled the past couple years (lots and lots of injuries), but some was still exciting to watch. Who knows, maybe it'll be a quick turnaround.

Oh, and I'd pass on AJ too.
    I made a similar point earlier. When Whiz' left there was all the talk about having to rebuild and how they should consider dealing Fitz blah blah blah. Some new coaching staff is going to inherit a very good team that needs a QB. The test is what they do with it in terms of leadership when it comes to adding to what they've got, rather than trying to start all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Maybe KC will run the table in the playoffs, have no choice to resign Alex Smith, and then we can pilfer Mahomes off of them for a couple of 1st rounders. (I can dream.)
    Why not just trade for Alex Smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
    If Harbaugh and Reid can't win with him what makes you think Bettcher can?

He's owed 17 million I believe next season. Either you're willing to pay that or you wait until he gets cut and then resign him for 16 million. LOL

With the lack of QB's in this league Alex Smith is worth big bucks. I'm not saying do it but he will get the money. I prefer to draft the young one and use the money on talent around him.. But Keim has not done so for years now and we're basically the Browns right now. (in that sense only).

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    If Harbaugh and Reid can't win with him what makes you think Bettcher can?
    So much truth here.

Two of the best QB coaches ever canít do anything with the guy.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

The Cardinals need Kirk Cousins.. Alex Smith ???? LOL might as well start a rookie QB