Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 50 NFL Free Agents

Default Top 50 NFL Free Agents

This is an interesting list with PFF ratings and little bio on each guy -- http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...top_50_pl.html (Note who is #5 and had an excellent PFF rating of over 88)

Other than an obvious target like Andrew Norwell, I have several "value" FA selections that I really hope SK tries to get:
    • Zach Fulton Center Chiefs -- Steady solid center who is only age 26 and can be acquired at an affordable APY.
    • Weston Richburg Center -- good steady center and is also age 26 -- I would talk with both Fulton and Richburg probably preferring the latter a bit but cost will matter.
    • E.J. Gaines CB -- I liked him coming out of college and was ranked by PFF at the #17 best overall corner - only age 25 which means he has a lot of good football left but he is only 5'9" and would cover mostly slot receivers.
    • Kyle Fuller CB Bears -- had a good season in 2017 for the struggling Bears; however the problem might be is that he is coming out of his rookie contract and probably wants to get a payday.

My SLEEPER FA: Donte Moncrief WR Colts - guy is only age 24 and 2 yrs ago he was ready to "break out" with Luck as QB - 64 catches for 733 yds but was plagued with injuries and QB changes over last 2 yrs. He is 6'2" 221 lbs and ran an electronic 4.40 at the combine. I watched this guy 2 yrs ago and he really came on in the 2nd half of that season but with Luck hurt the last 2 yrs his production has faltered -- I am pounding the table that this athletic freak athlete who is only age 24 should be sought out by SK -- he can be a VERY productive #2 WR in the future at a VERY affordable APY in my opinion.

You get Norwell Guard and Moncrief WR in FA and make a trade to get Eli Apple ... this team is right back in the hunt by addressing 3 of it's top 4 needs. Since Apple is still on rookie contract and Moncrief can be acquired very affordably, you still have $$ left to get Smith or if Shurmur becomes coach to get Keenum or Bradford quite easily and be ready for a playoff run in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by JosEPh_II View Post
    So you think Eli Apple is salvageable?

How many suitors will these 2 Centers have in the FA season?

Moncrief is appealing.

JosEPh
    My strategy if I was SK is to find teams with coaching changes and possible scheme changes wherein the new coaching staff might be willing to part with a veteran player -- so other than FA's I'd look to shore up some spots (TE for example -- still can't believe Greg Olson was pulled from the Bears for either a 6th or 7th round pick in one of his early years due to coaching change and that one move has so helped Carolina's offense over the last 5 yrs) with low round picks.

#1 Andrew Norwell

#2 Andrew Norwell

#3 Andrew Norwell

He just made the All-Pro team, meaning he was the single best LG In the NFL this year. And he shall be available for purchase. Must make that man an offer he cant refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    #1 Andrew Norwell

#2 Andrew Norwell

#3 Andrew Norwell

He just made the All-Pro team, meaning he was the single best LG In the NFL this year. And he shall be available for purchase. Must make that man an offer he cant refuse.
    He’s gonna get paiddd....but we paid Iupati at the position and could upgrade and replace for a younger guy. I’d love to see a young talented left side of Humphries and Norwell grow and develop together, protecting the blind side and paving the way for DJ and the other RBs.

Iupati going into the fourth year of his five year contract is the third highest paid LG. We are not getting the bang for the buck there and Norwell is 4 years younger.
    Last edited by Dry Heat; 01-06-2018 at 01:00 PM.

We have to cut Iupati and get Norwell... with the other guys healthy, our line would be much better. Move Boehm to center and draft a RG possibly.... idk if Veldheer has anything left in the tank either or if he'll retire... we'll see.

Besides the oline, Moncrief sounds like a great pick up to me as well. We really need a solid #2 assuming Fitz stays. Otherwise we would need a #1 and #2... yikes.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Suprise, I like your list. Agree completely on Moncrief. He should be a great addition at a reduced price. Kendall Wright might also only cost a couple nickels and would be a great 3rd WR. (He's been plagued with bad QBs)

Jack Mewhort is another guy we might be able to lure away from a woeful Indi squad. He did get hurt last year, but was highly effective in 2016 and a great prospect coming out of OSU. He'll also have a possibility of a bargain contract. Plus, he can play G or RT which gives us some flexibility with our oft injured Ts.

I'd call Greg Robinson and ask him if he's done trying to be a T, because he's awful at it. However, the guy could be a monster G. If he's willing to play G at a reduced price I'm all for signing him.

If we can sign Norwell and Mewhort and maybe Watford as a backup our Gs would be set.

As far as C is concerned, I'm not sure why there's a mad rush to get another. Shipley is average, which isn't anything to raise your nose at. More importantly, Boehm has never played C for us, but was drafted to. While I wasn't a huge fan of Boehm playing for BA (bad fit), I'd be more than fine having him play for a more traditional HC. He was a good C prospect who's only learned after his time at G. Don't give up on him yet.

That said:

Richburg was a better fit for BA. But he's an athletic C who could successful just about anywhere but a power scheme (does that still exist?).

I thought Detroit has done a terrible job coaching their Oline. They continue to draft guys and do nothing with them. I'd give a hard look at Travis Swanson. If he's medically cleared after his concussions I think he could be had for a reasonable price. I think he's more 2016 than he is 2017.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

I will say this... if the Cardinals do in fact go after and get Alex Smith.. they need to go after Jimmy Graham.. Alex smith loves to use his TEs..

A nice trio of David Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Jimmy Graham would be a great explosive offense.. then Seal-Jones and John Brown would benefit immensely ..

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals2005 View Post
    I will say this... if the Cardinals do in fact go after and get Alex Smith.. they need to go after Jimmy Graham.. Alex smith loves to use his TEs..

A nice trio of David Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Jimmy Graham would be a great explosive offense.. then Seal-Jones and John Brown would benefit immensely ..
    How much cap room are we looking at?

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Espnjunkie View Post
    How much cap room are we looking at?
    And what kind of Oline?

WR should ALWAYS be addressed after QB and Oline. And just to be clear, Graham is a WR, not a TE.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post

That said:

... I thought Detroit has done a terrible job coaching their Oline.

Why does that sound so familiar? Deja Vu? It sure reminds me of another instance or two, if I could just remember ... let's see ... the letter "G" seems to come back, but I just can't seem to put it together and pull it from memory. Our O line has been pretty grimm for a while, and it sure would be a change if they were good enough to win control the opposition's DL most of the time.