Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're the GM...

In looking at the needs and noting the draft is strong in CB - TE's and weak in OL - WR's then I would do the following:

1) Shurmur - Keenum as a duo
    2) Free Agents -- [My #1 objective is to get VALUE with guys at around age 26 since an athlete's PEAK is age 26-29]
    • WR - Donte Moncrief -- ready for breakout season 2 yrs ago with Luck but bad OL-QB play last 2 yrs makes him VERY affordable with a nice upside; 6'2" 221 lbs and ran 4.4 at the combine
    • OG - Aggressive for either Norwell/Pugh in that order
    • Center - Zach Fulton - under the radar but very effective and again he is only age 26 - should be a good value FA for $5M APY - http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...192841409.html - flexibility as he also played guard so if Boehm can become a center, then he still has high value.

3) Offer a 5th round pick to Giants for Eli Apple -- not good when team's best player and Apple have a feud so I believe it is 50/50 the Giants will move on from Apple.
    4) Draft
    • 1st Rd - Baker Mayfield [in pencil for now - I need more evaluation]
    • 2nd Round - Mike Hughes CB Central Florida IF I don't get Eli Apple in Trade
    • 2nd Round - If Eli Apple is acquired via trade; Will Hernandez OG
    • 3rd round If I use 2nd Round for Hughes - then Isiah Wynn Guard Georgia or Braden Smith Guard Auburn
    • 3rd round Compensatory Pick - Mike Gesicki TE Penn State
    • 3rd Round - If I got Apple via Trade and chose Hernandez OG in Rd #2 then Anthony Miller WR Memphis

5) If I get one of the top guards above, then cut Iupati after June 1 - save $8M on the cap.

Great Thread OJ,

Now do I have this right? We have to choose from your selection or we can go with our own top 5 ideas?
    Some are not good man. Many I like though.
    At first look, Since you have been the GM. I can see why we were 7-8-1 in 2016 and 8-8 this year

Here is our future under your being GM:

2018 4-12 here we come at least that gives us A heck of a shot at QBOF.
    2019 3-13 the following year can get us a top Offensive tackle.
    2020 2-14 after that can Get the 2ND QBOF since the other one will be on injured reserve
    2021 1-15 We trade for Carson Wentz and solve the problem after Munchak is let go.
    2022 Super Bowl I will be so Old I won't know we WON!
    Seriously,
    I need some time to work on this and will get back to you tonight. Rome wasn't built
    in a day. First No on Munchak. I'm ok with whatever MB and Keim suggest even if it is him.
    He is not my first choice.
    Last edited by FLCardinalFan; 01-09-2018 at 03:31 PM.

The next three to four days will tell us how MBSK want to proceed. As Bears GM, Ryan Pace, explained his reasoning for hiring the Chiefs QB coach, Nagy, that he "Hit a home run" in his lone interview compared to his competitors. Have any candidates that MBSK talked to done the same? If so, they'll pull the trigger by week's end. But, to do so we will likely have a defensive oriented coach, whether a former HC or a DC. If memory serves the names are Bettcher, Schwartz Edwards, Patricia. You have Wilkes and Armstrong in the wings, too. All these coaches are immediately available, but, some only til Friday.

Not yet interviewed coaches who, also, are immediately available and defensive oriented are Pagano, Fangio, and Caldwell. Pickns' are slim on immediately hireable offensive leaning candidates, and, again, only til week's end. Remember, the Lions and Giants and Colts are in search of a HC, too, and we will have to guess/gamble along the way in this process. Another factor to consider is that the sooner a HC is hired, the sooner he can start assembling a staff.

If we go into the weekend without a hire then I see us pursuing an offensive HC who MBSK really like but to bring them in for a 2nd interview and the obligatory facility walkthru they'll have to wait til their team is playoff eliminated, i.e. Pat Shurmer or Josh McDaniel or Mike Munchak. Then you have the QB question muckin' up this process. For instance, if Larry is contemplating a final season he wants a real QB, not a wannabe, and a HC who can get us right back into contention, or it's not worth it for him. His only alternative is to give up the preference of playing his whole career with the Cardinals and asking for a trade.

I want us to have a turn-around season and take advantage of our quality defense while we have one, so I want a Pat Shurmer who can work on getting his preferred veteran QB or Mike Munchak because he will get us a high-caliber O-line. Either coach will have a number of coach options for DC any of which or OK with me. The QBOTF issue can be drafted and developed and plugged-in a couple of years down the road. I am about winning now and avoiding a rebuild.

1. Get Shurmur or Defillipo

2. Draft Lamar Jackson (ideally you can trade down a bit in the first round and get another pick out of it)

3. Draft OL and WRs

4. Throw all your money at free agent o-linemen and sign a cheap journeyman QB like Cutler
    Last edited by longimanus; 01-09-2018 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    But you could renegotiate with him. If faced with being cut would he make his salary someplace else? Maybe they can find a go between number that satisfies them both.

I could see him leaving this summer. He really was a nothing player again this season.
    Ummm...his agent and the NFLPA and PP21 and all his other NFL buddies would advise him to answer that negotiation with a simple ďNoĒ.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    But you could renegotiate with him. If faced with being cut would he make his salary someplace else? Maybe they can find a go between number that satisfies them both.

I could see him leaving this summer. He really was a nothing player again this season.
    Tough calls for SK but you have to renegotiate with some of the guys that are performing under what they are being paid,if they are unwilling you cut them the way I see it.

As Ive said in previous threads Iím not ready to do this until we have a new coach. And Iím just not able to choose a coach as I think there is so much more to hiring one of these guys being mentioned than their previous jobs and stats. None of them are old coach, known quantity big name coaches. Only Gruden was one of those this year.

There are a few general things I would do regardless of coaching.

1) I quickly get the best guard and if possible center as possible. Guys just past their rookie contracts. Or even via trade. Once done the writing is on the wall for a post June cut of Iupati. No matter the coach or QB our success will depend on a young, NFL class Oline. The vet QBs being mentioned, a rookie QBOF, and David Johnson all need this to succeed. Dream G right now is Norwell. A few possible centers, including the guy from the Giants. I think Veldheer and Boone should stay, but we need to quickly plan for life without them and hopefully Boone moves to RG with Norwell at LG. Boehm Iíd like to see at C before I decide.

2) I want FA dollars to go to Oline first and foremost, but we have a WR need as well and I see flexibility in several FA WRs or using a second or third pick on one. Which depends on coach and offensive scheme but Iím mostly looking at big guys who donít have the dropsies. There are a lot of big receivers in this draft.

3) I want them to hire a coach and/or staff who has a primary strength of identifying AND developing young QB talent and the freedom to be aggressive going after the guy they want. If it doesnít work out this draft, go aggressive again next year. However, I still think we also need a bridge vet willing to develop a rookie, be a good leader and teammate, and ideally and eventually go back to being a #2. You all know Iím not a Stanton fan but even he could be this. I think Gabbert or Keenum could too. I donít know the guys, so donít know if the leader, team mate, mentor, willingness is there. The skill in any is QB2 to me. Smith would be my most expensive vet option, but if he could be had for a year for a third that would be intriguing. We donít have a perfect, obvious option at QB, unfortunately.

4) sign T Williams at CB but bring in a younger CB2 as well via draft or FA or trade.

5) whoever coach is, use TEs as receivers more. It creates opportunities for D Johnson and worked well whenever stubborn BA finally did it. Johnson is critical to our success.

6) Keep feeding Fitz for as long as weíve got him. Once in a lifetime talent.

7) Golden back at OLB, I want to see them figure out the best way to use Reddickís abilities and athleticism. Buddha Iím convinced is a young HB. As for HB, we keep hoping he progresses back towards the one we love and know. I donít think heís as far off as some others think. Overall our defense is young and talented and a new coach should be excited with the tools in the defensive toolbox.

8) please make us not have to discuss special teams in 2018 game day threads. It canít be this difficult.

I'm writing this relatively quick so I reserve the right to change my plan once I have more time to review

1. I hire the DC from Carolina Steve wilks. He's a no nonsense kind of guy but I also think the players can relate to him.

2. If Kirk Cousins becomes a free agent, I go after him hard. I'm not in the mood for a full rebuild. If I don't get him I either go after Teddy Bridgewater and bring in a QB guru to help bring him back to form or I mortgage the future to move up into the top 3 in the draft.

3. If I get Kirk Cousins or Teddy, I go BPA in the draft but I'm hoping for an offensive linemen. I'm well known for not valuing WRs so I would be disappointed if we took one here. I'd be hoping for OL or CB(Tramon Williams is a good fill in, but he's not the future)

4. Depending on if we get Cousins, sign a veteran WR via free agency. If we can no longer afford the WR due to Cousins contract, draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round

5. Can't think of a 5th right now, i'll revisit later
    I was gonna post a pic, but honey badger don't give a dang.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    Alright MB know-it-alls, here is your chance to be GM. There is not a coach or QB yet and the draft hasn't happened. So, instead of throwing salt on my brilliant and bulletproof suggestions, let's hear yours. For this thread, no dissing other poster's list...we'll do that later. So, SK calls you and tells you he will follow 5 of your demands. List your top 5 decisions or approaches to the choices the Cardinals have to make. Remember, only your ideas...no comments on other posts.

1. Hire either Shurmur, Wilkes, McDaniels or Munchak. I'm not dead set on any of them, but there are 4 jobs available and 4 top tier, IMO, candidates, so we should get one of them. I would, at this point lean 1A. Wilkes and 1B. McDaniels. 3. Shurmur. 4. Munchak. Our D is likely going to have to carry the team some, so if you go McDaniels, he'd better have a very good DC. I'd coin toss he and Wilkes.

2. Trade a 3rd for Alex Smith . Sign him to a 3 year deal and draft a QB in round 2 or 3...If LJack or Rudolph are available in round 2, that's my pick. I don't think they will be, however.

3. Go BPA in the draft with special consideration for WR or OG. I'm good reaching slightly on either of these. For example, we have a big, strong WR at #22 on the internal board, I'd be good choosing him at 15 just to be sure. Those 2 positions will have a lot of say in how next season goes. For the most part, though, stick to BPA.

4. Renegotiate or cut HB. Yes, it's drastic (perception-wise) and yes there will be some dead money, but he is due $19 XTRA LARGE this year. That is unfathomable and cannot happen. That's QB money for an average S. NO NO NO. Same with Iupati...he's perhaps a depth G at this point due to injuries.

5. Address the TE position. It's going to be much more important in 2018 because of the WR deficiency. I'd try to release Holding on #84 Gresham on an injury settlement and inquire about Jimmy G from Seattle. This position room has to get better.
    1. I like Shurmur, I think he did an amazing job with the Qb carousel.

2. Give a 2nd or 3rd whatever it takes to get a deal done for Smith or sign Cousins. Do draft a Qb where there might be a little value.

3. BPA

4. Renegotiate or cut guy's that are over paid if they are not willing to renegotiate. use maybe both draft and free agency for oline.

5. I would like to bring in a Te that can be effective in the passing game. I would also like to see Seal-Jones with a better Qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    Tough calls for SK but you have to renegotiate with some of the guys that are performing under what they are being paid,if they are unwilling you cut them the way I see it.
    Bethal was faced with the same dilemma and put on a prove it contract. cards saved money and bethal just proved he's not good.