Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: You're the GM...

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Bethal was faced with the same dilemma and put on a prove it contract. cards saved money and bethal just proved he's not good.
    He even struggled on ST.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

I haven't looked at the numbers but if this all would work here's what I'd do.

1. Hire Steve Wilks as HC. He has the right kind of temperament and poise to be a successful HC. My hope is that he has a great candidate lined up as an OC.

2. Trade a 2019 2nd for Alex Smith. I would't want to start any of the rookies anyway and Alex will give us a solid vet. Hopefully the resign isn't overpriced.

3. Take either Riley Ferguson or Logan Mayfield in the draft in the mid rounds. They can learn under Alex and will need time to do so like Jimmy G did in NE. (WF has Riley at 4-6, Logan UDFA. That will change.)

4. Sign Norwell. $$$$$$

5. Sign Jack Mewhort. He can play G and RT and might come cheap.

6. Sign Donte Moncrief. Also might come cheap.

7. Draft Mason Cole with a mid rounder. Right now he's a totally underrated Olineman who played T for Michigan. Is an interior lineman. (WF has him 3-5).

8. Trade back into the late first round and pick up some mid rounders or a future 1st. There's always just as much talent back there and there's usually a dance partner willing to jump for the right price.

9. Draft a serviceable blocking TE in the mid rounds. I'd be fine signing Luke Willson also.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

Sign Kapernick and draft best available QB who drops into the 2nd round. Draft OL and try and get a top FA WR. Get a defensive HC who is about discipline. Revamp the entire medical and training staff. FA TE, WR and OL.

If we can get Kap for the right price it will put us in position to both draft and sign FA's.

Bidwill lacks the guts to do it, but it's the fastest way to compete.
    Last edited by Biggs; 01-10-2018 at 08:47 AM.

Default Keenum

This article states MN is leaning to going back to Teddy ... hmmm - there was a rumor about a week ago that Zimmer would leave coaching so maybe there is some tension between management and the coaches on the vision for the future. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...igned-2017-nfl

Of course the article link above also thinks Keenum can be signed for $7M - $8M ... boy if the Cards could take Keenum's OC (Shurmur) and sign Keenum for $9M/APY to get him out of MN, I would surely rather have Keenum @ $9M/APY then Alex Smith's $19M or K. Cousins $24M/APY as the difference in $$ could get me 2 STUD OL or 1 STUD OL and a very good CB2.

Excerpt from a different article: "On Sunday, going against the equally-hot Los Angeles Rams, Keenum led the Vikings offense to 24 points while stymieing one of the league’s best defenses. That came a week after out-dueling Washington’s Kirk Cousins in a four-touchdown performance that helped establish the possibility of the Vikings being the first team to host a Super Bowl in its home stadium."

Here is an article from the Houston Press lamenting how Keenum was run out of Houston despite throwing more TD's than INT's behind a woeful OL and without any running attack - http://www.houstonpress.com/news/cas...again-10084748

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    I haven't looked at the numbers but if this all would work here's what I'd do.

1. Hire Steve Wilks as HC. He has the right kind of temperament and poise to be a successful HC. My hope is that he has a great candidate lined up as an OC.

2. Trade a 2019 2nd for Alex Smith. I would't want to start any of the rookies anyway and Alex will give us a solid vet. Hopefully the resign isn't overpriced.

3. Take either Riley Ferguson or Logan Mayfield in the draft in the mid rounds. They can learn under Alex and will need time to do so like Jimmy G did in NE. (WF has Riley at 4-6, Logan UDFA. That will change.)

4. Sign Norwell. $$$$$$

5. Sign Jack Mewhort. He can play G and RT and might come cheap.

6. Sign Donte Moncrief. Also might come cheap.

7. Draft Mason Cole with a mid rounder. Right now he's a totally underrated Olineman who played T for Michigan. Is an interior lineman. (WF has him 3-5).

8. Trade back into the late first round and pick up some mid rounders or a future 1st. There's always just as much talent back there and there's usually a dance partner willing to jump for the right price.

9. Draft a serviceable blocking TE in the mid rounds. I'd be fine signing Luke Willson also.
    Since we are in sync with raiding the Colts -- then another move is to hire the Indy ST coach and it now appears Pagano will also be available in case Boettcher either becomes coach or the latter leaves due to his being passed over upon hiring of either Shurmur or Wilks.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    This article states MN is leaning to going back to Teddy ... hmmm - there was a rumor about a week ago that Zimmer would leave coaching so maybe there is some tension between management and the coaches on the vision for the future. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...igned-2017-nfl

Of course the article link above also thinks Keenum can be signed for $7M - $8M ... boy if the Cards could take Keenum's OC (Shurmur) and sign Keenum for $9M/APY to get him out of MN, I would surely rather have Keenum @ $9M/APY then Alex Smith's $19M or K. Cousins $24M/APY as the difference in $$ could get me 2 STUD OL or 1 STUD OL and a very good CB2.

Excerpt from a different article: "On Sunday, going against the equally-hot Los Angeles Rams, Keenum led the Vikings offense to 24 points while stymieing one of the league’s best defenses. That came a week after out-dueling Washington’s Kirk Cousins in a four-touchdown performance that helped establish the possibility of the Vikings being the first team to host a Super Bowl in its home stadium."

Here is an article from the Houston Press lamenting how Keenum was run out of Houston despite throwing more TD's than INT's behind a woeful OL and without any running attack - http://www.houstonpress.com/news/cas...again-10084748
    If Zimmer is unhappy in Minny, I'd do everything necessary to make him perfectly happy here. Bring over Shurmur and Case and pay them just above fair.

The thing about Keenum is that Shurmur (as an OC) has gotten 3 different QBs to solid efficiency levels each of the last 3 years: Case (98.3), Sam (99.3), Teddy (88.7). I think it's more likely that it's more Shurmur than it is Case.

Edit: Sorry, Teddy was before Pat I believe.
    Last edited by Raze; 01-10-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...top_50_pl.html

Here’s a list of the top 50 free agents according to PFF, it’s obviously from the Browns website but that barely has any bearing on it. I was surprised to see Tramon Williams and Tyvon Branch in the top 10, I’d like to get them both back, at the right price of course, especially if Bettcher gets to stick around

Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutCard View Post
    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...top_50_pl.html

Here’s a list of the top 50 free agents according to PFF, it’s obviously from the Browns website but that barely has any bearing on it. I was surprised to see Tramon Williams and Tyvon Branch in the top 10, I’d like to get them both back, at the right price of course, especially if Bettcher gets to stick around
    Not thrilled with that list.
    I would resign Tramon Williams and branch as well. i would target norwell but i wouldnt expect getting him. I still think Iupati can come back and dominate next year. But we need another guard. I would go after Jarvis Landry, I think hes a sure thing, he like this generations anquan boldin. I wouldnt mind another powerful DE

Quote Originally Posted by rohinaz View Post
    Not thrilled with that list.
    I would resign Tramon Williams and branch as well. i would target norwell but i wouldnt expect getting him. I still think Iupati can come back and dominate next year. But we need another guard. I would go after Jarvis Landry, I think hes a sure thing, he like this generations anquan boldin. I wouldnt mind another powerful DE
    completely agree on Landry, he's got some of the best hands in the league like Fitz and he's still just 25 yrs old. Would be a really nice safety blanket for a young QB, if/when they go that route

hope they go all in on Norwell because he'd really help solidify the left side of the line. If they miss out on him, i'd look to get Pugh or Fulton. Fulton will probably cost less, and I like his versatility playing C as well as G

cardinals Ok

Ok...

1. My head coach is whoever will help us win, I don’t know any of our prospects so I can’t choose one.
    But I would choose Nick Saban

2. Re-negotiate honey badger cause he has lost a step in covering the pass, stop bulking up bro! It’s all about instincts and reaction times and speed.

3. Draft the best qb first round - a winner, someone who can play well under pressure, no chokers like kizer from last year and people wanted him, not me...if we can get Alex Smith then cool I wouldn’t even have to draft a qb this year, unless there is a winner in our spot....NO PROJECT QB’s no such thing and you waste a pick (the guy can either play well and win or not at this stage of life)

4. Let’s rebuild! Let go of attachments to celebrities...

5. We need O-Line, CB, WR
    Last edited by Skipper1111; 01-11-2018 at 06:02 AM.