Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 39 of 39

Thread: You're the GM...

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Chandler
    Posts
    105

    cardinals Well said

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    1. Trade up to select Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield in the draft. I will give up 2 first round picks and a third to draft Rosen or Darnold. I will give up a first round pick and a second to trade up for Mayfield. You either have to tank and finish in the bottom 3 or get lucky and land one in a later round. We are unwilling to do the first option and the second option has a remote chance of happening. If you want a QB, you have to pay the price and trade up. That's the reality. The best teams have done it: Atlanta, NY Giants, Rams, and Eagles are all examples. Target Rosen or Darnold first and likely sit them for the first year to allow them to learn and keep them healthy. Let Drew Stanton or another veteran start this next year

    2. Hire Pat Schurmur, Josh McDaniel, or Matt LaFleur as head coach. No defensive minded coaches. When hiring a coach, I will interview to make certain the coach is willing to adjust his scheme around the talent and not vice versa. If we have Baker Mayfield, I need a system that will suit his strengths. The most flexible of these coaches is who I would hire.

    3. In the draft and free agency, fill needs at Wide Receiver, Cornerback, Center and Guard. I will completely overhaul the interior of the offensive line at center and both guard spots.

    4. Draft needs to focus on players with an emphasis on the SEC for interior lineman, and defense. Small schools should be avoided with rare exception

    5. Retain James Bettcher as DC and give him a raise. Keep the defense intact.
    Excellent
    Thank you

    Offensive minded head coach, Yes because defense is covered.
    And Yes run the offense to the next QB strengths, if heís a scrambler then go with it and we will win..
    I donít like it when they try to change guys and it never works.
    Anyways you say it better than me.
    Thanks

  2. #32
    Raze's Avatar
    Raze is online now You cant handle the truth
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skipper1111 View Post
    Excellent
    Thank you

    Offensive minded head coach, Yes because defense is covered.
    And Yes run the offense to the next QB strengths, if heís a scrambler then go with it and we will win..
    I donít like it when they try to change guys and it never works.
    Anyways you say it better than me.
    Thanks
    I don't see why it matters if he's offensive or defensive. Don't we just want a coach who is a leader?

    Shurmur is currently the OC for a "D minded" HC in Zimmer. So if we had a choice between Zimmer and Shurmur we should take Shurmur because he's an Offensive minded HC? That makes no sense.

    How bout we just hire the guy who is going to inspire and delegate to coordinators to do their job. Shurmur may be the best choice to do that, but it should have nothing to do with his current position.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    7,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    I don't see why it matters if he's offensive or defensive. Don't we just want a coach who is a leader?

    Shurmur is currently the OC for a "D minded" HC in Zimmer. So if we had a choice between Zimmer and Shurmur we should take Shurmur because he's an Offensive minded HC? That makes no sense.

    How bout we just hire the guy who is going to inspire and delegate to coordinators to do their job. Shurmur may be the best choice to do that, but it should have nothing to do with his current position.
    Exactly. My only worry with Shurmur is he may be a better OC than HC. NFL history is littered with guys like that. I just want the guys in place to evaluate and then develop young QB talent and themfreedom to do it, be they scouts, QB coaches, OCís, etc.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    I don't see why it matters if he's offensive or defensive. Don't we just want a coach who is a leader?

    Shurmur is currently the OC for a "D minded" HC in Zimmer. So if we had a choice between Zimmer and Shurmur we should take Shurmur because he's an Offensive minded HC? That makes no sense.

    How bout we just hire the guy who is going to inspire and delegate to coordinators to do their job. Shurmur may be the best choice to do that, but it should have nothing to do with his current position.
    nail on head.

    I don't care if the new HC is a ST specialist, what I do care about is that he can get the right coordinators in and lead a group of men to success.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    If Zimmer is unhappy in Minny, I'd do everything necessary to make him perfectly happy here. Bring over Shurmur and Case and pay them just above fair.

    The thing about Keenum is that Shurmur (as an OC) has gotten 3 different QBs to solid efficiency levels each of the last 3 years: Case (98.3), Sam (99.3), Teddy (88.7). I think it's more likely that it's more Shurmur than it is Case.

    Edit: Sorry, Teddy was before Pat I believe.
    Shurmur developed McNabb - Bradford - Keenum and unbelievably Nick Foles and Colt McCoy (the latter almost had 3,000 yds passing for the downtrodden Cleveland Browns under Shurmur). The Browns drafted Colt McCoy in the 3rd round and was the starting QB starting in Week 6 of his rookie year and started Game 1 in the following year... as you can see the Browns didn't give Shurmur too much help when he was the HC.... what else is new?
    Last edited by SurpriseCardFan; 01-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,266

    Default

    Its a foregone conclusion its Shurmur.


    The only reason they havent announced it is because the Vikings are still playing and they dont want this to be a distraction.

    I guaran-darn-tee if the Vikings lose Sunday, Shurmur will be announced Cards HC Monday
    Last edited by Zaz; 01-12-2018 at 10:48 AM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    7,383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Its a foregone conclusion its Shurmur.


    The only reason they havent announced it is because the Vikings are still playing and they dont want this to be a distraction.

    I guaran-darn-tee if the Vikings lose Sunday, Shurmur will be announced Cards HC Monday
    I think we can discern he is our number one choice at the moment, but 2nd interviews are now occurring for other candidates while Shurmur has other things to focus on. I do believe there are other teams as options. Has anyone credible suggested the Cardinals are Shurmurís number one choice?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Its a foregone conclusion its Shurmur.


    The only reason they havent announced it is because the Vikings are still playing and they dont want this to be a distraction.

    I guaran-darn-tee if the Vikings lose Sunday, Shurmur will be announced Cards HC Monday
    Yea -- just heard a voice clip from Michael Bidwill on 98.7 and he mentioned about a coach being able to bring a player with him that is not under contract -- there is no doubt this is Case Keenum. Somehow SK must be assured that Vikings are not going to franchise tag Keenum --

    On the other hand Wilks left AZ and did NOT go interview with either the Lions or the Colts so did either Giants or AZ indicate to him he was the leader ???????????

    Whoa -- just heard on 98.7 that Wilks is OUT of the running in NY for the Giants HC job but Shurmur is still being considered there.
    Last edited by SurpriseCardFan; 01-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Yea -- just heard a voice clip from Michael Bidwill on 98.7 and he mentioned about a coach being able to bring a player with him that is not under contract -- there is no doubt this is Case Keenum. Somehow SK must be assured that Vikings are not going to franchise tag Keenum --

    On the other hand Wilks left AZ and did NOT go interview with either the Lions or the Colts so did either Giants or AZ indicate to him he was the leader ???????????

    Whoa -- just heard on 98.7 that Wilks is OUT of the running in NY for the Giants HC job but Shurmur is still being considered there.
    Either way we get a decent OC ?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •