Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Larry's decision create unnecessary drama?

Default Will Larry's decision create unnecessary drama?

Look, i hope I'm over thinking this but in his latest interview he stated that he's in no rush to make a decision, and that also Bidwill and Keim are in the middle of a coaching search and he'll wait to see how everything plays out before he makes a decision.

I'm not saying that his decision on whether or not to come back will be solely based on what coach we hire, but we all know that sometimes perception is reality especially when it comes to the media/fans.

Let's say the Cardinals hire a coach and then a few days, or a few weeks later, Larry decides to retire.

Do you think we'll hear headlines, rumors or the dreaded "sources" that state that Larry was unhappy with the coaching hire and decided to hang em up?

How would it look that the most iconic player in Cardinals history decided to retire than play underneath the new Head Coach(one that will be in charge along with Keim for rebuilding this team)?
    Last edited by KerryRhodes26; 01-13-2018 at 01:48 PM.
    I was gonna post a pic, but honey badger don't give a dang.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryRhodes26 View Post
    Look, i hope I'm over thinking this but in his latest interview he stated that he's in no rush to make a decision, and that also Bidwill and Keim are in the middle of a coaching search and he'll wait to see how everything plays out before he makes a decision.

I'm not saying that his decision on whether or not to come back will be solely based on what coach we hire, but we all know that sometimes perception is reality especially when it comes to the media/fans.

Let's say the Cardinals hire a coach and then a few days, or a few weeks later, Larry decides to retire.

Do you think we'll hear headlines, rumors or the dreaded "sources" that state that Larry was unhappy with the coaching hire and decided to hang em up?

How would it look that the most iconic player in Cardinals history decided to retire than play underneath the new Head Coach(one that will be in charge along with Keim for rebuilding this team)?
    I think it really depends who is behind center most. I think if we sign a decent Qb he will return if we don't he calls it quits. The coach in my opinion probably is not the major factor. I also think that SK and MB want Fitz back so I think they will listen to his input. I think they are all on the same page I will just be glad when a coach is hired and we can move on with the changes that need to be made as well as the players that get traded for or signed to fill the 2018 roster.

The Cardinal FO is well acquainted with Larry's post-season process of declaring whether he is in or out. A new HC will likely be hired before Larry makes his own decision. Remember that he has signed a one-year contract which only placates Valley fans and the media to give Larry some breathing room til that announcement day. It's obvious the Cardinals want him back and Larry only needs to commit to returning which is likely based on him being able to compete at the level he alone is comfortable with.

Whoever is chosen by MBSK to lead the team must be a coach for the next phase of the franchise's development. Larry is no more connected to this choice than any other primo roster player. Yes, he is the alpha primo player in terms of contribution and PR value, but, I am sure even Larry would not consider his presence on the roster as any more critical than, say, Patrick's or Chandler's or DJ. The likelihood of MBSK having broached the subject of Larry with all the coaching interviews is high which gives both parties a comfortable beginning in any second interview to take place. MBSK must pursue whomever they are most confident with going forward and are hoping that coach sees high value in playing Larry in their offense. Maybe Larry will be part of the eleventh hour discussions, MB likely respects him that much. Why? Because the production Larry would have in his last season can both be a contribution to a successful offense and a distraction for the coach's first year leading the team.

There are so many questions and scenerios to this coaching search that I will wait into next week before allowing myself to speculate on what kind of team we will be. The coach, the OC and DC and, of course, the QB may take many weeks to sort out and paint us fans a new picture. Remembering how BA's hiring process went and then the QB decisions worked out and the eventual on-field success the team accomplished gives me confidence in a repeat performance by MBSK. The roster is much better than it was following the '12 season and we may not be as far from playoff contention as most fans fear at this time, so...enjoy the weekend games see how their outcomes affects your thoughts about how this will all work out.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryRhodes26 View Post

Blip in the screen.

As great as Larry is as the season goes on people will forget about him. He's relevant because he's playing.

And I think larry will be very articulate when given the reasons.

I see ZERO issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Blip in the screen.

As great as Larry is as the season goes on people will forget about him. He's relevant because he's playing.

And I think larry will be very articulate when given the reasons.

I see ZERO issue here.
    Agree. He will handle his eventual retirement with class and professionalism whenever it does occur. He will be complimentary to the organization, the fans and all the players and coaches and people his career allowed him to interact with. And the Valley will mourn, and move on, and wait for his induction in the Ring of Honor.

Larry is the highest blessed figure in Cardinals history, even eclipsing Pat Tillman. Without Larry, ticket sales plummet and fans lose hope. Larry is calling the shots, and will select the next HC. The Bidwill/Keim coach search you are seeing is just a charade. Do not despair, for once Larry selects a HC agreeable to him, he will be back. In 2019, he will retire as a Cardinal, and we can witness the ascension of his name to the Ring of Honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Eickhorn View Post
    Larry is the highest blessed figure in Cardinals history, even eclipsing Pat Tillman. Without Larry, ticket sales plummet and fans lose hope. Larry is calling the shots, and will select the next HC. The Bidwill/Keim coach search you are seeing is just a charade. Do not despair, for once Larry selects a HC agreeable to him, he will be back. In 2019, he will retire as a Cardinal, and we can witness the ascension of his name to the Ring of Honor.
    Larry picked the last 3 QB`s as well...he did alright with CP but Korn Kolb and DA were slight misses
    The Big A era begins..../ends on.1/1/2018..Thanks for the memories

Can Larry lure Shurmur away from New York? That is the question. I think Shurmur goes to the NYG and the Cardinals pick between Brian Flores and Steve Wilks.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Eickhorn View Post
    Silly to think they would be so short-sited to allow 1) a player, 2) who very realistically could be around just one more year before retirement, to “select” the next head coach.

I see Larry as Superman in this situation. He is the only thing we have going for us. Anyone Larry would want is someone we should want. Quite frankly, we need a good QB and an offensive minded coach. I'm glad we have Larry there to put pressure on the organization to do what is right otherwise you will have Steve Keim doing whatever he wants and that spells trouble. A major reason the organization has failed to progress is Keim does not believe in trading up and doing what is necessary to acquire a top QB.

I don't blame Larry one bit. Hiring someone like Munchak is a disaster and I don't blame him if he doesn't want to stick around for the rest of it.
    Go Cardinals!