Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The mass exit to the door has begun....

I thought I would put my 2 cents worth here.

Even though I've been a fan for almost 50 years, I have only seen 2 games in person and that was in St Louis at Busch Stadium.

The first time was fabulous, the second time was a nightmare. The difference was where my seat was and how cold it was the second time.

The bad time was cold. That I could deal with, but the seat was so bad, I couldn't see what was going on. I was in the first row, sounds good, but it was so low, I couldn't see for the players on the sidelines blocking my view.

The time it was fabulous. Good weather and was high enough without being too far away to really enjoy it. The thing I will never forget is the emotion of the crowd. I'm generally a very reserved person, but I was yelling, cursing, and cheering at the top of my lungs...... lol...it was exhilarating. There is nothing like 50,000 people all cheering for the same thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say, if I lived in a reasonable distance and had decent seats......I would be there.

The live experience cannot be duplicated even on the biggest, baddest home screen.

Believe me....appreciate that you can go to a live game and in good weather and experience the spectacle with thousands of people.
    Last edited by thomas cat; 02-11-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    I thought I would put my 2 cents worth here.

Even though I've been a fan for almost 50 years, I have only seen 2 games in person and that was in St Louis at Busch Stadium.

The first time was fabulous, the second time was a nightmare. The difference was where my seat was and how cold it was the second time.

The bad time was cold. That I could deal with, but the seat was so bad, I couldn't see what was going on. I was in the first row, sounds good, but it was so low, I couldn't see for the players on the sidelines blocking my view.

The time it was fabulous. Good weather and was high enough without being too far away to really enjoy it. The thing I will never forget is the emotion of the crowd. I'm generally a very reserved person, but I was yelling, cursing, and cheering at the top of my lungs...... lol...it was exhilarating. There is nothing like 50,000 people all cheering for the same thing.

I guess what I'm trying to say, if I lived in a reasonable distance and had decent seats......I would be there.

The live experience cannot be duplicated even on the biggest, baddest home screen.

Believe me....appreciate that you can go to a live game and in good weather and experience the spectacle with thousands of people.
    Trust me when I say...It ain't FREE
    Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post
    I think Thomas cat knows this.

I do think his point is this, If you have the Money to be a STH, then enjoy it. It is after all your money to spend.

For those of us out of state DirecTv Sunday Ticket is our cost If we want to see most of the Cards games.

Wife and I did fly out to AZ in 2013 a year after my retirement to see a live AZ Cardinals game. It was the Oct 27th match up against matty Ice and the Falcs. I bought 4 Tickets in section 19 row L iirc for just under $500. Then we bought tickets from Illinois thru Chicago to Tucson round trip. An Army buddy and his wife live in Green valley. We stayed with them and that is why I bought 4 tickets. All totaled up the trip cost us over $2500 to see that 1 game.

By the middle of the 2nd qtr i had no voice left, AE had already made his rookie 80 yd TD run down the side line almost straight at us. Fitz caught a TD almost in front of us. The Cards won that day over the Falcs. It was a great retirement vacation. In fact it was the Mrs. and I's 1st vacation with just us 2 in over 40 years.

Would I like to do it again, heck yeah! But it cost me $2500 to do so. So yes it " ain't free", but if I had another $2500 to spend on a vacation like that I would do it again! But a S.S. retirement for a blue collar worker just says no.

Unfortunately those that do have the money lose sight of this. If the discretionary money disappears and you could no longer afford the STs would you miss it? If you answer is No, then you need to rethink why you are doing it now, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill11 View Post
    You have never been there. They have two nice hotels right across the parking lot. Nice short walk. Westgate is a good time after the game too. I have seen a few fights after the game. If you're not the type to smart off at or back at some drunk fan you have zero concerns.
    Thanks for the insights, all of them. The Missus and I will spend wisely and nearby. I am always careful when Mike Tyson talks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinals View Post
    That's a valid point. What it cost today and what it cost back then is probably a tenfold difference. I'm going from memory, but I don't think I spent more than 60$ for two. That would include tickets, parking and even gas money to get there. ( I lived 80 miles away )

Even when you consider for inflation, it does seem like the price to going to a NFL game is maybe 3 times or more what it was back then.....so I get what you are saying.

I'm more or less in JosEPh_II shoes. Retired and on a fixed income. Not poor, but I do have to be careful where I spend money for non essential things.

So your point is well taken. The cost of going to a game is obviously a big part of the equation.

Maybe I should have added....if you can afford it...Believe me....appreciate that you can go to a live game and in good weather and experience the spectacle with thousands of people.

Just for reference. The game that I had a great time at was 1975 Cards vs Patriots. We won 24-17. It was a close game and Terry Metcalf returned a punt for a 69yrd touchdown. I couldn't hear myself think.

I will treasure that moment forever. You don't get those kind of memories from watching tv. If you have the means to see it live....do it.....
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    That's a valid point. What it cost today and what it cost back then is probably a tenfold difference. I'm going from memory, but I don't think I spent more than 60$ for two. That would include tickets, parking and even gas money to get there. ( I lived 80 miles away )

Even when you consider for inflation, it does seem like the price to going to a NFL game is maybe 3 times or more what it was back then.....so I get what you are saying.

I'm more or less in JosEPh_II shoes. Retired and on a fixed income. Not poor, but I do have to be careful where I spend money for non essential things.

So your point is well taken. The cost of going to a game is obviously a big part of the equation.

Maybe I should have added....if you can afford it...Believe me....appreciate that you can go to a live game and in good weather and experience the spectacle with thousands of people.

Just for reference. The game that I had a great time at was 1975 Cards vs Patriots. We won 24-17. It was a close game and Terry Metcalf returned a punt for a 69yrd touchdown. I couldn't hear myself think.

I will treasure that moment forever. You don't get those kind of memories from watching tv. If you have the means to see it live....do it.....
    You got that right. I was watching from the end zone when Tim Hightower scored the winning TD in the NFC Championship Game against the Eagles. It was incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Heartbeat View Post
    You got that right. I was watching from the end zone when Tim Hightower scored the winning TD in the NFC Championship Game against the Eagles. It was incredible.
    I grew up mainly a hockey fan and saw some pretty incredible stanley cup playoff games. I became a Cards fan when i moved here in 1996.

I paid 300 dollars and a couple of buddies and I went to the game. Had great club seats. EVeryone stood the whole game and it seemed like years of suffering were about to be exorcised with a win. It was tense the whole game but probably the greatest sporting even I have ever attended. The outcrying of emotion post win was something. else.

The other "thing" that really stood out was Anquan Boldin being a big sourpuss even after the game. His contract issues overrided his ability to be a team player.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    I paid 300 dollars and a couple of buddies and I went to the game. Had great club seats. EVeryone stood the whole game and it seemed like years of suffering were about to be exorcised with a win. It was tense the whole game but probably the greatest sporting even I have ever attended. The outcrying of emotion post win was something. else.
    An unbelievable moment. To this day, I don't regret spending way too much money to fly out for the Atlanta and Philadelphia games and then to the Super Bowl in Tampa. If only one more play had been made in those last 2 minutes...

I cannot speak for the true warrior fans on this board who have followed the franchise through 3 cities, but personally, as an Arizona fan, the most cathartic moment for me that exorcised the ghosts of losing continues to be sitting in the upper deck bleachers just after Christmas in '98, and watching Chris Jacke's 52-yard FG barely clear that cross bar-- knowing at that instant that the Cardinals were going to the playoffs. And then running onto the field and helping tear down the goal post. (Anyone know what the statute of limitations for vandalism is in Arizona?)

The win the next week at Dallas was icing.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    An unbelievable moment. To this day, I don't regret spending way too much money to fly out for the Atlanta and Philadelphia games and then to the Super Bowl in Tampa. If only one more play had been made in those last 2 minutes...

I cannot speak for the true warrior fans on this board who have followed the franchise through 3 cities, but personally, as an Arizona fan, the most cathartic moment for me that exorcised the ghosts of losing continues to be sitting in the upper deck bleachers just after Christmas in '98, and watching Chris Jacke's 52-yard FG barely clear that cross bar-- knowing at that instant that the Cardinals were going to the playoffs. And then running onto the field and helping tear down the goal post. (Anyone know what the statute of limitations for vandalism is in Arizona?)

Thanks for the rich memories, WV. All agree that we need more Cardinals post-season memories. I look forward to the day when all Cardinals tickets sell for a premium because the team is that exciting again.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post

I was at that game and my then 10 year old daughter wanted me to take her on the field and help with the goal posts..lol...told her ..maybe in a few years..
    in hindsight...had i known it was the last time that would ever happen ...i might have taken her out on the field
    Last edited by RimrockCard; 02-14-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    Adios Compadres ...Its been a HOOT!