Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Other Trade Options at QB" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    In the many pages of this thread many names have been bounced around, from young misfires like DeSaun Kizer or yet to be trusted A.J.McCarron to even quality starter, Philip Rivers. But, one name not mentioned yet is, Andy Dalton?

In other threads I have speculated SK revisiting his type of acquisition with Oakland five years ago when CP came aboard. It was a pretty good one wasn't it? Carson Palmer's matching up with BA provided a franchise record setting HC/QB tandem. SK would be foolish not to consider catching lightning in a bottle again so I expect him to be doing his homework in this direction again, wouldn't you?

It wasn't too long ago that the 'bridesmaid' Dalton was being touted for success. The Bengals and Marvin Lewis were seen as the latest 'can't miss' team, right on the cusp of displacing the Ravens and Steelers. But, it did not happen and Andy Dalton is nobody's 'pretty boy' anymore.

In a way, he is in the same place as CP was five years ago and itching for a serious chance. But, how does Marvin Lewis and Mike Brown view him? Do they trust him still or are they ready to give McCarron the car keys? Is this scenerio of CP 2.0 just what the doctor ordered, acquiring a battered and bruised starter itching to succeed after crashing and burning? The trading price might be very affordable and still allow SK to draft a QBOF who needn't be rushed while watching Dalton lead our team in a very competitive division? Thoughts?
    Its an interesting idea, but the Bengals aren't handing anything over to McCarron. They tried to trade him during the season but the Browns messed it up somehow...that is why McCarron is filing this grievance to become a UFA this year.

If the Bengals cut Dalton, then I would absolutely add him to the list of strong possibility

Quote Originally Posted by adamcardsfan View Post
    Its an interesting idea, but the Bengals aren't handing anything over to McCarron. They tried to trade him during the season but the Browns messed it up somehow...that is why McCarron is filing this grievance to become a UFA this year.

If the Bengals cut Dalton, then I would absolutely add him to the list of strong possibility
    The one thing that worries me most about McCarron is how the Bengals seemed willing to deal him across state to the Browns and stick with Dalton, who seems to be one of those guys too good to lose his job but too bad to win. I liked Garopolo in his draft as a developmental guy and in old draft threads youll find several of mine with him in the 2nd round and later. I liked McCarron too, and it seems like hes played as well or better than Dalton when given a shot. Id love to get a look at him, if not too pricey. Dalton seems like hed be pricey, and I think would be uninspiring. Capable, but not exciting. Im ready to sink or swim with some young blood.

I have absolutely no interest in A.J. and I see him as a waste of time. The cardinals can't afford to get distracted. Foles and Cousins should be their main targets and if that don't work out who you need to draft for Qb. Then you decide on a bridge Qb and that is not A.J. I think all the bridge Qb's that have been mentioned should be in play.

We have players we don't want to go to waste so who gives the cardinals their best chance of winning this year ? If we trade for any Qb in my opinion that should be foles.

I forgot there is one other Qb I would go after in a trade or at least kick the tires on and he was mentioned before and that is Tannehill not saying Miami would trade him but they are known for taking gambles. Hmm another that was mentioned was Rivers but we have to be proactive in this search.
    Last edited by Redbirdfan62; 02-15-2018 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    I forgot there is one other Qb I would go after in a trade or at least kick the tires on and he was mentioned before and that is Tannehill not saying Miami would trade him but they are known for taking gambles. Hmm another that was mentioned was Rivers but we have to be proactive in this search.
    Either one of them would cost us about 20 million on the cap including giving up picks for and trying to sign them to a longer term deal would add to that. I don't think either of them could operate behind our OL. If you take that cap hit and give up picks how do you fix the WR, TE and OL issues? We have to draft a QB and sign a relatively cheap second tier QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    Either one of them would cost us about 20 million on the cap including giving up picks for and trying to sign them to a longer term deal would add to that. I don't think either of them could operate behind our OL. If you take that cap hit and give up picks how do you fix the WR, TE and OL issues? We have to draft a QB and sign a relatively cheap second tier QB.
    The draft and who we have or someone cheap. I rather be cheap on another position not the Qb and I dont see us making a splash in free agency unless it is a Qb.

I dont understand the concept of Veteran Starter + Rookie Draft Pick

You dont learn how to play in an NFL football game while on the bench. Everyone points to Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Favre as the example. Is that why ARod is great? Because he sat? Please. Arod wouldve been Arod had he started day 1 or day 100. Its Arod. Hes extremely talented, thats why hes great.

Sitting on the bench just prolongs your rookie-ness. Id rather a rookie play, fail and learn his 1st year rather than his 3rd year.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post

You dont learn how to play in an NFL football game while on the bench. Everyone points to Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Favre as the example. Is that why ARod is great? Because he sat? Please. Arod wouldve been Arod had he started day 1 or day 100. Its Arod. Hes extremely talented, thats why hes great.

Sitting on the bench just prolongs your rookie-ness. Id rather a rookie play, fail and learn his 1st year rather than his 3rd year.
    Maybe they are not planning on a young Qb until later rounds which needs time learning the pro game. Not too many college kids come out and are ready their first season for the nfl.

For one thing we have zero QBs and free agency for capable QBs will be over before the draft. The draft is an unknown, no matter how much you plan for it. Free agency is more controllable and sooner. It would be wise to have at least one of those QB spots filled with someone youd be comfortable with tomstart games.

I also think an NFL vet whos seen the league, been around, has football and life experience, etc is invaluable for a younger guy. Coaches can do a bit but a guy whos been in your shoes and succeeded for 10 or so years will have a great impact on a 22 year old new millionaire with the leadership of a billion dollar team soon on his shoulders.

In all my posts about retaining a mentor type vet, Ive never said the rookie needs to sit. I agree you should play them as soon as theyre ready, even if they arent yet quite as good/polished as the vet.

ARod was drafted by the Mariners in 1993. He didn't start for the Mariners until 1996. He also admitted to using Steroids. It's possible if all those home runs were fly outs he wouldn't have been Arod?