Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 95 of 95

Thread: The Official "Other Trade Options at QB" Thread

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Whats "ready"? You dont learn how to play in an NFL football game by not playing in NFL football games.

    Do you mean "learn the playbook"? Your rookie QB drafted in March has 5 months to learn the playbook. Then you come in and practice it (I.E. throw the routes, call the plays....play football). If you cant learn a playbook then you are a bust. Period.

    Learning the playbook is the most basic thing a QB does. If he cant do that, then all else is irrelevant.
    While I mostly agree with your position, I would say that it is not as absolute or black and white as you make it out to be.

    If you are investing a high pick in a guy, I agree the best move is to play him right away. You find out right away what you have, which gives you an advantage either way. If he stinks, you can cut bait quicker, and if he's good, you maximize his cheap contract.

    However, I do believe there are instances where playing a guy too early can ruin him, with most of those instances happening in Cleveland. Joking. Kind of.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    3,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post

    However, I do believe there are instances where playing a guy too early can ruin him, with most of those instances happening in Cleveland. Joking. Kind of.
    What youre talking about is the system/team can ruin a guy, not "he played too early". I agree that a guy playing in the wrong system can ruin him.

    If you start or sit in a bad team/system, youll bust either way.

    If you start or sit in a great team/system, youll probably succeed. But if its a great system for you then why sit? Get out there and play/learn/grow.


    I see absolutely zero benefit to sitting. And remember, these kids have been playing football all their lives. Theres a transition to the NFL, but its not like learning chinese. Its still football. And if they were dominant enough to get drafted round 1, then they should be capable to start day 1. Doesnt mean theyll succeed. But we'll find out if they are a bust faster this way. Its better than having a guy sit for 3 years and find out hes a bust (Osweiller)
    Last edited by Zaz; 02-16-2018 at 02:44 PM.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,143

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    And if they were dominant enough to get drafted round 1, then they should be capable to start day 1.
    I agree.

    Plus, if they do succeed, you have the huge advantage of five full seasons of a cheap QB.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,730

    Default

    If we can't get a veteran QB with experience of having led a team to postseason then I say count on the draft where you are gonna need to draft a QB anyway.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    4,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    What youre talking about is the system/team can ruin a guy, not "he played too early". I agree that a guy playing in the wrong system can ruin him.

    If you start or sit in a bad team/system, youll bust either way.

    If you start or sit in a great team/system, youll probably succeed. But if its a great system for you then why sit? Get out there and play/learn/grow.


    I see absolutely zero benefit to sitting. And remember, these kids have been playing football all their lives. Theres a transition to the NFL, but its not like learning chinese. Its still football. And if they were dominant enough to get drafted round 1, then they should be capable to start day 1. Doesnt mean theyll succeed. But we'll find out if they are a bust faster this way. Its better than having a guy sit for 3 years and find out hes a bust (Osweiller)
    I see a massive benefit to sitting. In fact, I’d have them sitting in a box with the OC trying to do a Romo, and read the D and make the right call.
    The vast majority of college QBs don’t have to read a defence and adjust. Most will have at best a go to guy on a pass play, and the outlet guy. Both may involve at best scanning half the field after the snap.
    Real time game action might help, and in many cases it will. But throwing in guys before they can do the above, sees a good college QB like say Johnny Football, flounder. So limiting their time in their first year has massive benefits imo.
    Then again a guy like Trubisky is likely to come on leaps and bounds from his experience. Like Goff and Wentz last year I expect him to improve going into his sophomore season. So it’s swings and roundabouts. And that’s where the coaching comes into it. Setting up a guy to fail like David Carr, or assessing they are mentally ready to enter a game is on the coaches.

    Specifically in relation to the Cards in 2018. On the plus side there will be one of the top running backs, and a hall of fame receiver to help any rookie QB. Against that is a very suspect line, no obvious number one WR, and not the greatest group of tight ends. Then there is a new group of coaches, and probably a new scheme for everyone to learn, and ST group where giving teams good field position heaps more pressure on the offence.

    So it will be a real baptism of fire should the Cards start a rookie this year. I’ve been wavering for a good while now. With all the obvious negatives, and the fact the Cards will either have to mortgage future drafts to get one of the top rated QBs, I will be more ok with getting a journeyman in free agency and putting off taking a QB until day two, or even next year. Getting o line guys, and a number one WR in this draft might help whoever is drafted next year.
    The Cards missed on Derek Carr and DeShaun Watson, and have snookered themselves when it comes to this class (unless one falls unexpectedly). So long term closing some gaping holes on the roster in the line and war groups, might be the best way to go.
    Had the Cards been picking top ten, then my strategy would be go all in for the QB.
    Last edited by Northern Soul; 02-18-2018 at 03:29 AM.
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •