Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: How much do you trust this Qb class ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    If you extrapolated JG's stats over an entire season

* This really is a basic form of comparison, obviously the team they build around him, the quality of opposition and the circumstances of individual games, the tape they have on him etc etc affects it all.

Yards 4160
    TD's 19 (18.6 but I will round it up)
    INT 13 (13.3 but I will round it down)

Comparing it to stats produced here

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...alse&Submit=Go

He would be 6th in yards, joint 18th in TD's, joint 7th in INT (1 being the worst).

In conclusion, his numbers are ok, but not worth the contract they have given him. Could he improve on those stats with more knowledge of the play book, a full training camp, more talent around him? Absolutely. On the flip side could he stay at the same level/regress now teams have more tape on him, the fixtures aren't as favourable for him, still will have a lack of talent around him etc, of course.

But anyway it is a mute point, we were never ever in the race for Jimmy G (and neither were 30 other teams), he was never made available to the rest of the league.
    He would have been second in QBR. He had over a 67% completion percentage, he was second in YPC and I believe 1st in 1st down percentages. The TD to INT rate is directly related to the lack of talent and work with his receivers. He's an accurate QB and he's throwing into tight windows where he's receivers are the second or third best players in the area he's throwing to. If you think he was mediocre, you never watched a game he played in. I got a chance to see him in person against us last year. He couldn't hear a thing. He was the coolest, calmest player on the field. He absolutely torched us on third down all on silent snap counts. FYI no Gronkowksi.

It's one thing to make the argument that it was a high risk move to sign him. It's another thing to say he played mediocre. That's simply nonesense. We haven't had QB play as good as what he provided SF since a short patch in 2015 before Palmer got hurt. Palmer had a loaded O.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    He would have been second in QBR. He had over a 67% completion percentage, he was second in YPC and I believe 1st in 1st down percentages. The TD to INT rate is directly related to the lack of talent and work with his receivers. He's an accurate QB and he's throwing into tight windows where he's receivers are the second or third best players in the area he's throwing to. If you think he was mediocre, you never watched a game he played in. I got a chance to see him in person against us last year. He couldn't hear a thing. He was the coolest, calmest player on the field. He absolutely torched us on third down all on silent snap counts. FYI no Gronkowksi.

It's one thing to make the argument that it was a high risk move to sign him. It's another thing to say he played mediocre. That's simply nonesense. We haven't had QB play as good as what he provided SF since a short patch in 2015 before Palmer got hurt. Palmer had a loaded O.
    I can deal with homerism what I can’t deal with is people who turn around and bash great players as well. Or that Keim is some wonder GM while others win Super Bowls during the same tenure. Love our team but please stop telling me that guys like Wilson, and Jimmy G are average when they are absolutely carrying their teams to victory. It’s truly disgusting. Can’t wait till we have someone at QB that is exceptional again.
    Last edited by native az; 02-13-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post

I did put the caveat on there that this was a very basic exercise for a simple comparison, that's all.

It is hard to trust rookies but you have to swing for the fence. SK's let them fall to us strategy has failed big time (Reddick instead of Watson will be an all-time failure).

I like this QB class (bringing us back to the main topic)

- Sam Darnold has an "It" factor that few have. I think he's the most talented of all the QB's but currently isnt there yet. Highest ceiling of any QB.

- Josh Rosen has prototype mechanics and is extremely polished. His ceiling isnt high. I think hes close to maxed out right now. But that should still be enough to be a playoff caliber QB.

- Baker Mayfield has the longest, strongest resume of the bunch. Absolute elite football thrower. Deadly accurate with a strong arm and thrives under pressure.

- Lamar Jackson is a track star who can change the game with his legs. Would be a complete departure from the traditional pocket QB role in the NFL and would look more similar to the old Kaepernick/49er days. But Kap and the 49ers almost went to 3 superbowls, so sometimes this style works.

- Josh Allen is an absolute bust who will be a journeyman for awhile and eventually fall out of the NFL in 5 years. He is as accurate as you or me. Its unbelievable to watch him miss a wide open guy by 20 yards.

- Mason Rudolph is the forgotten guy who really put together an impressive college career. Hes got excellent size and tools. He might surprise everybody and be a good NFL QB, at worst I think hes a long term backup.

- Logan Woodside is the small school QB who has put together a nice little career. Reminds of Jimmy G. About the same size. Dominant at his small school. Somewhat similar numbers. Other than level of competition theres no real reason to doubt him. Solid option.

Other than Josh Allen, theres 6 QB's in this draft id be happy and interested if we drafted. I consider that a very good draft class.

I don't trust this qb class as much as I do Cousins or Foles but if we don't land either just throw darts at the board and hope you hit the bullseye with the draft for Qb.

I want no part of Jackson or Allen. Both those guys will set your team back 3 years. Neither are going to be good in the NFL.

On the other hand I fully expect Josh Allen to be one of the best of this bunch.

Wouldn't touch Jackson with a Pete Carrol stick.
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    On the other hand I fully expect Josh Allen to be one of the best of this bunch.
    why?

(too short of message)

wwwwhhhhyyyyy?

You can never trust a rookie or rookie class more than a proven vet like Cousins or Smith, but thatís why one costs a few million per year and the other $25-30 million.

I do like this class better than most years. None are perfect, no Andrew Lucks, all have development to do in some aspect of their game or leadership. But lots of potential in a variety of ways. Pocket passers, statues, deep ball guys, technique guys, run first guys, scrambling ability guys, freak athletes.