Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

Hybrid View

Default BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-...f-ee61f5f269ab

All I can say is UGH.

Get ready for 5 more years of big talk, no action and busty drafts.

Keim talked about his "5 year plan" when he was hired in 2013. So, what was the plan? To start the 2018 season without a single QB on the roster? If Larry retires, we'd have no WRs as well. And still, forevermore, a turnstile OL.

*Ill extend an olive branch...to be fair, this now gives him the opportunity to attack one of the top QBs in the draft, and not get fired if he busts (so long as its not Josh Allen. If he picks Allen at 4pm he should be fired by 4:06).
    Last edited by Zaz; 02-12-2018 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-...f-ee61f5f269ab

All I can say is UGH.

Get ready for 5 more years of big talk, no action and busty drafts.

Keim talked about his "5 year plan" when he was hired in 2013. So, what was the plan? To start the 2018 season without a single QB on the roster? If Larry retires, we'd have no WRs as well. And still, forevermore, a turnstile OL.

*Ill extend an olive branch...to be fair, this now gives him the opportunity to attack one of the top QBs in the draft, and not get fired if he busts (so long as its not Josh Allen. If he picks Allen at 4pm he should be fired by 4:06).
    I guess he is free to be aggressive as he needs to be without the threat of being fired. No telling what his plans are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    I guess he is free to be aggressive as he needs to be without the threat of being fired. No telling what his plans are now.
    Disneyland!

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    Most owners would be appalled or question his draft picks with his emphasis on small school boom/bust selections.
    Most owners would be THRILLED to have a GM with the draft record of Keim, who has consistently drafted well above the curve.

Default Why now?

Since Keim was already under contract through 2018 plus an option for 2019, why a new contract NOW?

Wouldn't it have been more sensible and businesslike to wait until later this year? After all, this is a make or break time for him when it comes to solving the QB problem, and how he succeeds or fails will have great impact on the near future for the organization. MB may have done the same as was done with Badger - rewarding for past performance and expecting the same thereafter.

Yes, Mathieu's subsequent physical impairment problem and Keim's GM future performance is different in that sense, but the impact will be far more critical, be it positive or negative.

Maybe there are things happening we have no way of knowing, like more coaches with high capability being added or secret negotiations for a killer QB solution... hopefully.

Mike B must be feeling very positive - and absent some visible and obvious reason, one has to wonder why.

The timing of this would have never happened with a winning organization.

5th in wins during his tenure, one of the best drafters in the NFL (WELL ahead of the curve) and got Cards out of cap hell while building one of the deepest rosters in the league.

Well deserved.

Excellent points,'WVcardsFan,' and I'll add one to your list. MB extends SK tenure to put it in line with the deal given HC Wilks. This is important so there's harmony and stability for the franchise going forward, especially for Wilks.

Congrats Keim. One of the best young GMs in the business. We are stronger from a national perspective, as a destination for free agents, in current roster, and in cap management than when he took over five years ago.

Was he as perfect as all the arm chair GMs imagine they would be? Of course not.

The positives since the Rod Graves years are numerous. He had a plan and it moved us from five wins to ten, twelve and thirteen his first three years. We got within a game of the Super Bowl. We were hit unusually hard by injuries two of his five years. He found us a miracle in Palmer for a mere sixth rounder, but attempts to find a successor through low cost, low risk young QBs like Gabbert and Barkley ultimately failed. I expect his one regret is not ensuring he got Mahomes or Watson last draft, and I bet he learned from that mistake.

This extension ties him to contract Wilks received:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-m-steve-keim/

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    Keim is the reason we've had success but he is also the reason we've had failure. But his poor drafts have also caused us to decline."
    This narrative that Keim has been poor in the draft is so insane I don't even know how to respond. Do you know what the league average is as far as players from a given draft succeeding? I guarantee Keim is in the top 3rd. Even guys that he gets nailed for like DJ now look good. Reddick is still a question. Nkemdiche is trending poorly. The guy has killed in rounds 3-7. Golden was a great 2nd rounder. You need to check your facts. Nobody hits on the 1st rounder EVERY year. Nobody has 6 -7 guys from each draft turn out well. Your standard is flawed and not realistic. As WV points out, the reason we can still win 8 games despite massive injuries was due to the deep roster Keim has put together.