Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    I wouldn't lock down anyone before I needed to. Potential NFL GM's isn't a static situation. Opportunities may arise and there is no reason to limit them. KC could have extended AS and not drafted a QB. No risk it no biscuit. They may have made a mistake?

A 500 team that is out of the playoffs for 2 years and doesn't have a QB, OL or decent WR corp and a lousy cap situation after 2 years out of the playoffs is a train wreck in today's NFL.

The stadium was a heist. 75% of it was put up by Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority and the city of Glendale. Almost all NFL stadiums with a few exceptions have been a transfer of public money to team owners. There is nothing about the Stadium that makes our owner a big spender or not.

Lets see what we do in the offseason. I'm just going to say that if Shipley is our starting center for the third year in a row I would stop with SK is a top 5 GM and the Cardinals are trying to put a playoff team on the field.
    Well there are our opinions and then there is the guy who hangs with Steve Keim on a daily basis, sees him work up close, chats with him in the ownerís box watching every play together on the field, and pays his hefty salary:

ďThis is about creating stability in the organization and making sure we take care of the folks who really deserve an extension, and Steve really did. You want to reward success and, back to that word, stability. You want stability in our leadership around our organization. This isnít the first time Iíve come to him early. Again, heís one of the best in the National Football League.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Well there are our opinions and then there is the guy who hangs with Steve Keim on a daily basis, sees him work up close, chats with him in the ownerís box watching every play together on the field, and pays his hefty salary:

ďThis is about creating stability in the organization and making sure we take care of the folks who really deserve an extension, and Steve really did. You want to reward success and, back to that word, stability. You want stability in our leadership around our organization. This isnít the first time Iíve come to him early. Again, heís one of the best in the National Football League.Ē
    "Stability is only worth so much if the team isnít challenging for Super Bowls" that was another quote from the story.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    "Stability is only worth so much if the team isnít challenging for Super Bowls" that was another quote from the story.
    We get it.

You would fire 31 GMs every year.

Seems reasonable.

The koolaid pom pom cheering crowd equates any criticism of Keim like we want him fired.

the guy has done enough to warrant more time.

The extension actually means little. He can be fired at any time and his contract doesnt count against the cap. And it puts to rest any speculation which could hurt the team.

Keim has been trained to be a yes man in this organization. Based on what happened with the ST's here i'm pretty sure whatever BA wanted Keim acquiesced.

The ST debacle, the lack of ANY viable QB at the moment and a spotty draft record has him IMO in a position where he needs to step up big time. But he pretty well told us this recently with his "massive changes comment".

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    We get it.

You would fire 31 GMs every year.

Seems reasonable.
    Never said fired just not extended. Go back and read what I actually said. Sorry your feelings are hurt , being realistic rather than cheerleaders. The GMs who are competitive and have shown they can win in the post season and are doing a good job are the ones I would extend. The past 2 years of Cardinal football is some of the worse I have seen in a while which doesnt equate to an extension. I would only fire you and your 3 year old sending both of you back to pre school.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Never said fired just not extended. Go back and read what I actually said. Sorry your feelings are hurt , being realistic rather than cheerleaders. The GMs who are competitive and have shown they can win in the post season and are doing a good job are the ones I would extend. The past 2 years of Cardinal football is some of the worse I have seen in a while which doesnt equate to an extension. I would only fire you and your 3 year old sending both of you back to pre school.
    There's a counter here though. Let's say Keim has 2 years left. He is a human being with a family and bills to pay. Do you want him doing what's best for the long term interest of the franchise or do you want him trying to make short term moves to secure an extension? This is reality especially for someone who controls the roster. You either think his overall track record of 50 wins in 5 years and 5th in the league is good enough and buy in with a deal equivalent to the coach he just hired, or else you risk Keim doing things to improve the short term rather than the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988CARD View Post
    There's a counter here though. Let's say Keim has 2 years left. He is a human being with a family and bills to pay. Do you want him doing what's best for the long term interest of the franchise or do you want him trying to make short term moves to secure an extension? This is reality especially for someone who controls the roster. You either think his overall track record of 50 wins in 5 years and 5th in the league is good enough and buy in with a deal equivalent to the coach he just hired, or else you risk Keim doing things to improve the short term rather than the long term.
    But the evidence points to him just doing what you claim a long term contract prevents.

He has not secured a young QB in the draft at all . And this is going against exactly what he claimed was most important when he was hired. His philosophy was to draft one "every year because good ones are so hard to find".

So what happened here? He got too caught up in the NOW to look at the long term. You really cant say otherwise.

Maybe now with his extension and old Bruce out of here he will do a 180 . But until I see that actually happen you're post is purely theoretical.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988CARD View Post
    Considering he went Veteran QB and FA's all over the place he clearly built his short term team and after he started purging it before last season got an extension this season. You could argue he's short term moves got him the extension.

This wasn't about security or winning a SB. This was about management continuity that ownership was comfortable with. Nothing wrong with it. I would prefer we didn't do it. I personally like the idea of the GM and HC on a different schedule in case it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Biggs; 02-13-2018 at 12:09 PM.

LOL. My feelings are definitely not hurt. It's just comical to see so many unrealistic "fans" who obviously know nothing about football and even less about the BUSINESS of football.

Locking up talent is 101 stuff.

Arizona won 8 games with 14 key players on IR. Think about that for a second. How many wins would David Johnson (2100 yards and 20 TD in 2016), Carson Palmer, Markus Golden (team leader is sacks and pressures in '16,) Tyvon Branch (top-5 Safety per PFF), and the entire left side of the Offensive Line have been worth? 2-3 is conservative. Using 2017 as a negative mark on Keim is patently absurd. It might have been the best job Keim and Arians did. Most teams would have imploded and pulled a 4-12 like the Texans after they lost just 2 key players. Or Dallas and Seattle (two teams so many of you guys gush over constantly,) who both missed the playoffs after losing 3 key guys. Not 14. Three.

The past 2 years ended with a record worse than the previous 3 years because of ridiculous outlier ST disasters in 2016 and a cascade of unfathomable injuries in 2017. It happens. Sports is not a perfect science. Especially the NFL, where the sample size is so small and fluke plays can turn games/seasons so easily.

The roster is deep. The team is set up to win for a long time. The cap situation is the best it's EVER been in the salary cap era.

There, of course, is a massive elephant in the room. The team needs a QB. No doubt. But Steve Keim has done nothing in his 5 years as GM to make any reasonable person think he won't have a good QB ready to start by August. The negativity and pessimism is mind boggling and completely devoid of any logic or reason.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    LOL. My feelings are definitely not hurt. It's just comical to see so many unrealistic "fans" who obviously know nothing about football and even less about the BUSINESS of football.

Thank god you're here to straighten everyone up with your pom pom charade.