Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    Saying that GMs have done good things is not nearly the same as doing a comprehensive analysis on which one has done a better job. Anyone can cherry pick good things someone else has done and call them "better". It's like ONLY watching a highlight reel to evaluate a prospect.

Even though there's no way to have a comprehensive discussion on how every single one of these guys compares to Keim; in honor of the fact that you actually named GMs (most don't) and for the sake of the discussion:

1. Lynch just gave up about $28M in cap space for 3 years to a guy who had a great 6 game run. Lynch is praying Jimmy can play AND stay healthy long enough to earn being paid that kind of money. If he's average it's a horrible signing. He'll also have to answer for Foster. A great player on the field, however it looks like his off field issues will keep him off the field. Tough to compare him to Keim after only 1 year of going 6-10.

2. Howie's done himself well recently, obviously. However he essentially demoted himself when he hired Chip Kelly. Seriously, anyone who hires Chip Kelly as an NFL HC is begging to be fired. But, he won a SB so he gets full props.

3. Micky Loomis? You mean the guy who went 7-9 in 3 out of the last 4 years? Keim wins 7 games in his WORST season and you guys call for his head.

4. Umm... Brian Gaine was hired 30 days ago. He was in Buffalo when they drafted Watson. Rick Smith just stepped aside to tend to his ailing wife. Take a look at their record since Smith has been GM. It's not very good.

5. Les Snead did right by his new HC hire. However, he was utterly incompetent just before that hire with Jeff Fisher as HC. Last year was the first time they cleared .500 in 6 years. He also TRADED UP for Tavon Austin, gross. He's an awful GM by most standards. If you exhibited the same patience with Snead that you do with Keim he would have been fired 4 years ago.

6. Schneider had a great draft... 6 years ago! 6 Years! He's been utterly awful since that epic draft. He's saved by his great hire at HC and his 2012 haul. That's it. His time is in peril.

7. Jerry Jones hasn't won much in a while. However, I respect the way he's built the team through the Oline. I give him tons of credit for his recent work.

8. Dmitroff deserves even more credit than Jones. They certainly win a lot.

9. Elway signed a lot of great FAs. However, he's had a rather awful run at drafting. Now that his FAs are all old...?

10. Colbert gets hot and cold credit. Personally I'm cool with him.

11. Belichick wins SBs. Not gonna argue this one, even though no one bothers to look at his draft record. (He cut almost his entire draft this year).

12. I really like what McKenzie has done. He had a horrid start but had a phenomenal 2015 draft. He's made some good signings but had to fire a HC. Gruden certainly gives him more credence.

Without going into tons of details on draft picks, FA signings, trades, and HC hires I'd say:

Belichick and Roseman are better than Keim. (I'd add Newsome, and Thompson even though he just shifted roles)
    McKenzie, Colbert, and Dmitroff are in the discussion with Keim. (I'd add Gettleman even though he just got fired)
    Elway and Schneider's needles are clearly pointing down.
    Lynch is to young into the job.
    NO WAY are Jones, Snead, Smith, or Loomis better than Keim.

The sad part is I listed about 4 or 5 GM’s that have put together super bowl winning teams and you and WVcard are sitting here trying to discredit them and prove that Keim is better than them. Homer mediocrity is one hell of a drug.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    The sad part is I listed about 4 or 5 GM’s that have put together super bowl winning teams and you and WVcard are sitting here trying to discredit them and prove that Keim is better than them. Homer mediocrity is one hell of a drug.
    The Cardinals are in the middle of their best 5-year stretch in franchise history, and you are purposely being at best- obtuse, at worst- completely ignorant in trying to seriously cast doubt on the job Keim has done and the roster he has assembled.

Overreactionary alarmism is one hell of a drug.

To say an extension was ANYTHING other than well-deserved is patently absurd.

Since your SOLE criterium for being a great GM is winning a SB, I take it IF some Cardinal had made one more play at the end of SB 43 (just ONE play by ONE player- nothing to do with the GM) that Rod Graves would have suddenly become an amazing GM in your eyes? Take about overly simplistic.

Keim is a top-5 GM. By all accounts. It was smart to lock him up.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 02-12-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    And THIS is just WAAAYYY too easy. Seriously, like something my 3-year-old would post.

1. Lynch- His first draft consisted of an "OK" guy at 2 (Thomas) and a total bust he traded back up into the First Round for (Foster.) Just gave the richest QB contract in history to a guy with a 5-game sample size.
    2. Roseman- Foles? Funny. Great run by Eagles, but what about '13-'16??? Chip Kelly??? Last place finishes??? hanging your hat on ONE season is pretty comical. Again, Keim has 5th most wins in NFL during his tenure.
    3. Loomis- The hypocrisy of bagging on Keim for not having a QB "waiting in the wings" is rich if you are trying to say the GM of the Saints is better than Keim. Can you even name the Saints back-up? New Orleans looks to have had a great '17 draft. But that only came after a series of below the curve drafts.
    4. Gaine- they just went 4-12 and you are gonna come on here with THIS garbage? Please.
    5. Snead- He kept Fisher about 3 years too long. Enough said. Tell me what they ended up getting for the haul of picks they received in the RG3 trade (Hint: it's embarrassing for the Rams.)
    6. Schneider- probably THE worst drafts in the NFL from '13-'17. They had ELEVEN picks! in 2013. Only one is still on the team.
    7. Jones- OK this is funny. I apologize for saying Roseman was funny because this is actually way worse. Jones!!! Bwhahahahaha. Maybe the worst GM in the NFL.
    8. Dimitroff- he's not bad, but again, his drafts have NOT been as good as Keim's. He has FEWER wins from '13-'17, and those players you mentioned are nice but NOT "cornerstones." Matt Ryan is a cornerstone. Drafted in '08. Also has as many rings with ATL as Keim has with AZ.
    9. Elway- SECOND worst drafter in NFL behind Schneider. What's worse than waiting until you need a QB to bring one in? Bringing in awful choices for 3 straight years.
    10. Colbert- See Loomis, Mickey. What is Pittsburgh's "waiting in the wings" option if Ben retired tomorrow? I actually think Colbert is in the discussion though. His team is also top-5 in wins, and he's comparable to Keim as a drafter.
    11. Belichick- GREAT HC (best of all time.) Not a great GM. Traded Chandler Jones for peanuts. Routinely botches the draft, despite stockpiling picks. Zero players from last draft made the team.
    12. McKenzie- Please. I am not even going to dignify this with a remark. You do know that Arizona had a better record than Oakland last year, right? Even with half the starters on IR.

HAHA wow are you seriously saying that because of the Chandler Jones trade Keim somehow outsmarted Belichick and is a better GM. Might be the stupidest thing I have heard on this thread. He is the GM. He drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round. He has kept his team the super bowl favorite going on like 8 years now. 5 super bowl rings? 8 super bowl appearances to Keims NFC west champs T shirt? Belichick overcomes injury every year and never over pays players. His draft players may not have made the team because they were trying to make a super team in the patriots and not a patched up Cardinal declining team who finished 3rd in the NFC WEST. You clearly are delusional bathing in MB and Keim excuse koolaid. Keim cant hold a candle in any aspect to Belichick.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-12-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Belichick overcomes injury every year and never over pays players. You clearly are delusional bathing in MB and Keim excuse koolaid. Keim cant hold a candle in any aspect to Belichick.
    Belichick the GOAT Head Coach overcomes Belichick the average GM year after year. And just stop with the "drafted Brady" nonsense. If ANYONE (including BB) thought Brady was going to be anything, they wouldn't have risked waiting until Round 6 to take him.

NO COACH-- none-- can hold a candle to Belichick as a Head Coach. There are more than a few GM's who are better than Belichick the GM.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Keim took a five win team with years of no competent QBs and won 50 games the last five years. There are only a few guys on that list with a better five year record.

As a rookie GM he got us our competent QB and won GM of the Year.

He got us one game away from the Super Bowl.

He’s one of the youngest, most successful young guys in the NFL at the GM level. He clearly has a lot of respect and a great working relationship with the owner above him and past coaches below. BA marveled at how he continually churned the roster and got him players when he needed them.

Aris mentioned the two things that are black marks I’d agree with...the 2016 draft and not finding a successor to Palmer. Both are somewhat to be determined. The case can be made that C Jones is here at least partially due to that draft, and we don’t know who our QB is yet. His five years as a GM he did in fact have a competent QB, and he got him for a steal. I think he got surprised in last year’s draft, but I suspect he wanted Mahomes and wasn’t too interested in Watson, who many suggest he should have jumped a spot for somehow. I think they saw Watson as good but an injury risk...and in his rookie year he’s already hurt.
    You're exactly right. He wanted Mahomes and got stunned by KC. As a fan of Keim, this is a clear miss on his part. And I personally think it's a worse mistake than Logan Thomas. However, if we end up with a quality QBoF this year all will be forgiven. Unfortunately that will do nothing to make the nonsensical talk dissipate.

As we've talked ad nauseam for years now, with Palmer on board there was no pressing need to grab a QBoF before 2016. He would have sat the bench for years. Everyone keeps lamenting over Garrappolo but fail to realize that NE got nearly nothing out of him.

To date, Keim has never started a year without a legit QB. One year he even had an MVP candidate.

A couple more things on the 2016 draft:
    Everyone keeps forgetting about Boehm. That dude was a good C out of Missouri. I didn't like the fit with BA, but I see no reason he won't be successful with Wilks. The guy has never started at C for us. (I think)
    As you pointed out before, I'm curious to see what Wilks will be able to do with Brandon Williams... and Diche.
    13RFoster 36CGodwin 98RDouglas 115DJohnson 157CBrantley 179XWoods 208CKelly

HAHA wow are you seriously saying that because of the Chandler Jones trade Keim somehow outsmarted Belichick and is a better GM. Might be the stupidest thing I have heard on this thread. He is the GM. He drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round. He has kept his team the super bowl favorite going on like 8 years now. 5 super bowl rings? 8 super bowl appearances to Keims NFC west champs T shirt? Belichick overcomes injury every year and never over pays players. His draft players may not have made the team because they were trying to make a super team in the patriots and not a patched up Cardinal declining team who finished 3rd in the NFC WEST. You clearly are delusional bathing in MB and Keim excuse koolaid. Keim cant hold a candle in any aspect to Belichick.
    They can’t help themselves. Meaningless stats, and regular season accomplishments take the place of the ultimate goal. ‘Palmer was almost an MVP, Keim has a top 5 regular season record, BA is a top 5 coach.’

No Super Bowls, no QB to anchor the franchise, but he did get a 5 year extension after going 15-17 the last two years. That’s the Cardinals way.
    Still searching for our QBOF.

I literally lost IQ points reading this..."Trying to make a super team..."
    Last edited by SunDevil1999; 02-13-2018 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by native az View Post
    They can’t help themselves. Meaningless stats, and regular season accomplishments take the place of the ultimate goal. ‘Palmer was almost an MVP, Keim has a top 5 regular season record, BA is a top 5 coach.’

No Super Bowls, no QB to anchor the franchise, but he did get a 5 year extension after going 15-17 the last two years. That’s the Cardinals way.
    This is the point completely.

It is nothing short of insanity to claim that beating Tampa or Seattle in the regular season is better than getting to the Superbowl. I like WV's posts honestly I do. But the past five years were totally wasted. A few nice reg season wins followed by poor performances when it ultimately matters.
    The Cardinals had their window when Palmer wrangled his way out of Oakland, and they failed miserably. One post season win. ONE! Keim has been rewarded for failure. Failure to plan and failure to win in January. Its a cocktail for more dismal times ahead. The new HC has got a massive job on his hands. It isn't his fault. That lays at Keim's and Arians' doors.
    The best five years? Where were you for the previous five?
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

I think it's good they gave Keim an extension. With a new coach in place they can build the roster together. This won't be an overnight change and probably won't see the Cards good for another two seasons.He's still a young GM and he brought some pretty good players in over the last 5 years. This year hopefully he will draft a good QBOF for the team and build around him.Give him time and he should have another good Cardinals team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardsfan81 View Post
    I think it's good they gave Keim an extension. With a new coach in place they can build the roster together. This won't be an overnight change and probably won't see the Cards good for another two seasons.He's still a young GM and he brought some pretty good players in over the last 5 years. This year hopefully he will draft a good QBOF for the team and build around him.Give him time and he should have another good Cardinals team.
    If you don't have a legit Qb much longer.