Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    HAHA wow are you seriously saying that because of the Chandler Jones trade Keim somehow outsmarted Belichick and is a better GM. Might be the stupidest thing I have heard on this thread. He is the GM. He drafted Tom Brady in the 6th round. He has kept his team the super bowl favorite going on like 8 years now. 5 super bowl rings? 8 super bowl appearances to Keims NFC west champs T shirt? Belichick overcomes injury every year and never over pays players. His draft players may not have made the team because they were trying to make a super team in the patriots and not a patched up Cardinal declining team who finished 3rd in the NFC WEST. You clearly are delusional bathing in MB and Keim excuse koolaid. Keim cant hold a candle in any aspect to Belichick.
    He's the biggest Cardinal koolaid drinker on this site , he has a lot of fans too in that regard. Just like KEim not having the balls to get us a QB this VW doesn't have the balls to look at the cards with any impartiality.

Have you gotten the "my three year old can do a better analysis yet?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Keim took a five win team with years of no competent QBs and won 50 games the last five years. There are only a few guys on that list with a better five year record.

As a rookie GM he got us our competent QB and won GM of the Year.

He got us one game away from the Super Bowl.

He’s one of the youngest, most successful young guys in the NFL at the GM level. He clearly has a lot of respect and a great working relationship with the owner above him and past coaches below. BA marveled at how he continually churned the roster and got him players when he needed them.

Aris mentioned the two things that are black marks I’d agree with...the 2016 draft and not finding a successor to Palmer. Both are somewhat to be determined. The case can be made that C Jones is here at least partially due to that draft, and we don’t know who our QB is yet. His five years as a GM he did in fact have a competent QB, and he got him for a steal. I think he got surprised in last year’s draft, but I suspect he wanted Mahomes and wasn’t too interested in Watson, who many suggest he should have jumped a spot for somehow. I think they saw Watson as good but an injury risk...and in his rookie year he’s already hurt.
    What makes him better than Thomas Dmitroff, Newsome, Gettleman, Brown, Jones, Elway, Quinn, Ted Thompson, David Caldwell, John Dorsey who was canned for being more successful, Speilman, Belicheck, Roseman, Loomis or Colbert.

The Cardinals had a good, not great run. We won 1 playoff game in 5 years. We don't have a QB and we have a crappy cap situation after 2 years where we didn't make the playoffs. Had we gone into this year with tons of cap room after 2 crappy years and could make some real moves I could see calling SK a very good GM. I certainly don't advocate firing him. I do think he has hired his second head coach and after two essentially losing seasons and no QB he should not be in position to have 5 free years or if things go south pick the next HC.

The Cardinals have a history of being a very cheap organization. Of course the NFL forces them to spend but that doesn't mean that if things don't go well they will fire a HC and GM under contract. That's an expensive off the cap proposition that has no benefit to the owner unless he's losing fan base in the stands. There's something to be said for continuity but you can have that without making your personal feel as if they don't have to compete every day to have a job. SK has been handed the keys to the car for another 5 years.

My experience in watching the NFL for about 50 years is teams generally ascend under a single management once. There are very few legacy guys who rebuild to championship caliber multiple times. SK came close but he didn't get it done. The chances of him doing it again are very slim. SK record is very similar to the Bengals record with the exception that we actually won 1 playoff game.
    Last edited by Biggs; 02-13-2018 at 07:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    The timing of this would have never happened with a winning organization.
    Worst hot take of the year. What are your factual justifications for this opinion? He took over a train wreck that lost a game 50-0 to our rival and has since amassed 50 wins in 5 years. That's 5th in the league over that time. The 4 better include Bill B who already had Brady and Elway who already had Peyton. Seattle had also already built their roster. Any business owner seeing Keim's results would be a fool to gamble that they could fire him and do better than those results. Would be a poor risk/reward proposition.

The "fire Keim" crowd is likely a group of people who deliver cleaning supplies for a living. Anyone who actually runs a business and makes these type of personnel decisions would never consider firing keim. Business owners would consider where we started and where we rank in wins during his regime. They don't take things like how a particular 2nd round pick worked out poorly and extrapolate that make their decision.

Quote Originally Posted by 1988CARD View Post
    Worst hot take of the year. What are your factual justifications for this opinion? He took over a train wreck that lost a game 50-0 to our rival and has since amassed 50 wins in 5 years. That's 5th in the league over that time. The 4 better include Bill B who already had Brady and Elway who already had Peyton. Seattle had also already built their roster. Any business owner seeing Keim's results would be a fool to gamble that they could fire him and do better than those results. Would be a poor risk/reward proposition.

The "fire Keim" crowd is likely a group of people who deliver cleaning supplies for a living. Anyone who actually runs a business and makes these type of personnel decisions would never consider firing keim. Business owners would consider where we started and where we rank in wins during his regime. They don't take things like how a particular 2nd round pick worked out poorly and extrapolate that make their decision.
    There's a difference between fire him and extending him for 5 years before it's necessary. He's young why not give him a 10 year deal like Oakland? I happen to think he took over a train wreck put it on track and he has a train wreck right now. He has 2 years on his deal. What's wrong with seeing if he can get the train on track before extending him? I own a business I wouldn't fire him. I also wouldn't extend him a year before I needed to.

Personally I don't think it matters. The odds are that ownership may do much worse than SK. It's a complete crap shoot to think Bidwill can identify someone better. It's probably cheaper to extend a guy you know and like who lives here than to bring a new guy in. The reason to move on is if you think you can identify someone who will be better. The reason to stick with him is you don't think you can do better. Based on the Cardinals ownership extending him makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Biggs; 02-13-2018 at 07:47 AM.

You had time to extend him why do it now ? You are right he did an amazing job from the beginning but lately he did not do what was necessary to avoid this bad situation we find ourselves in right now. He has to weather this storm his lack of action put us in. Maybe MB decided to give him a piece of mind to do whatever he has to do to right the ship and that might not be popular with the fans but it gives him assurance that he can do whatever he needs to do no matter how drastic it is without having to be worried about being fired. That is the only reason in my opinion he earned the right to this contract but there is a huge thing that has many upset with this extension because him ignoring the gorilla in the room as the new coach said.

I do believe he did a good job with having enough talent on the team to go 500 with all the injuries and the major losses in the last two seasons. Let's face it though the salary cap situation is not good and and no Qb on the roster was a huge failure on his part. He has to right the ship and he has to do that at the Qb position first not the oline. he still needs to put an adequate oline on the field for both David Johnson and the new Qb. He has his work cut out for him and I wish him luck he is gonna need it but I also believe good gm's make their luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    What makes him better than Thomas Dmitroff, Newsome, Gettleman, Brown, Jones, Elway, Quinn, Ted Thompson, David Caldwell, John Dorsey who was canned for being more successful, Speilman, Belicheck, Roseman, Loomis or Colbert.

The Cardinals had a good, not great run. We won 1 playoff game in 5 years. We don't have a QB and we have a crappy cap situation after 2 years where we didn't make the playoffs. Had we gone into this year with tons of cap room after 2 crappy years and could make some real moves I could see calling SK a very good GM. I certainly don't advocate firing him. I do think he has hired his second head coach and after two essentially losing seasons and no QB he should not be in position to have 5 free years or if things go south pick the next HC.

The Cardinals have a history of being a very cheap organization. Of course the NFL forces them to spend but that doesn't mean that if things don't go well they will fire a HC and GM under contract. That's an expensive off the cap proposition that has no benefit to the owner unless he's losing fan base in the stands. There's something to be said for continuity but you can have that without making your personal feel as if they don't have to compete every day to have a job. SK has been handed the keys to the car for another 5 years.

My experience in watching the NFL for about 50 years is teams generally ascend under a single management once. There are very few legacy guys who rebuild to championship caliber multiple times. SK came close but he didn't get it done. The chances of him doing it again are very slim. SK record is very similar to the Bengals record with the exception that we actually won 1 playoff game.
    The Cardinals did have a reputation of being cheap but that changed when old Bill handed the reins over and we got a stadium. Itís simply not true weíve been cheap. Our facilities are top notch, we added coaching staff positions, pay them well, and now have solid cap and salary management. The 49ers were cheap the last few years which is why they are able to roll over $60 million in cap from last year to this and make Bradyís backup the highest paid player in the NFL. Their second highest paid player is Pierre GarÁon at $9 million. Weíd all be screaming if our Cardinals left $60 million on the table any of the last five years, and thatís because Keim had us a good team and we were shooting for playoffs every year.

You say in a later post Keim inherited a train wreck, merely got it on track, and now itís a train wreck. Well his train wreck is a .500 team at the end of its run and despite losing its QB1, QB2, LT, LG, RT, stud RB and 10 sack OLB couldnít manage to lose enough games to get a top 10 draft pick. He won a GM of the year for getting a team on track? I guess the NFL should strip him of it.

BTW Iím not one of the guys saying Keim is ďtop 5Ē. But looking at the names above and other organizations, if Iím a new NFL owner and the NFL gave me any GM I wanted, Keim would be on my shortlist for interviews. Some of that has to do with his success so far, and some his age and future potential. Iíd say heís top 10. Would you not lock down a young, top 10 QB for five more years? Thatís how I look at GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    The Cardinals did have a reputation of being cheap but that changed when old Bill handed the reins over and we got a stadium. Itís simply not true weíve been cheap. Our facilities are top notch, we added coaching staff positions, pay them well, and now have solid cap and salary management. The 49ers were cheap the last few years which is why they are able to roll over $60 million in cap from last year to this and make Bradyís backup the highest paid player in the NFL. Their second highest paid player is Pierre GarÁon at $9 million. Weíd all be screaming if our Cardinals left $60 million on the table any of the last five years, and thatís because Keim had us a good team and we were shooting for playoffs every year.

You say in a later post Keim inherited a train wreck, merely got it on track, and now itís a train wreck. Well his train wreck is a .500 team at the end of its run and despite losing its QB1, QB2, LT, LG, RT, stud RB and 10 sack OLB couldnít manage to lose enough games to get a top 10 draft pick. He won a GM of the year for getting a team on track? I guess the NFL should strip him of it.

BTW Iím not one of the guys saying Keim is ďtop 5Ē. But looking at the names above and other organizations, if Iím a new NFL owner and the NFL gave me any GM I wanted, Keim would be on my shortlist for interviews. Some of that has to do with his success so far, and some his age and future potential. Iíd say heís top 10. Would you not lock down a young, top 10 QB for five more years? Thatís how I look at GM.
    I wouldn't lock down anyone before I needed to. Potential NFL GM's isn't a static situation. Opportunities may arise and there is no reason to limit them. KC could have extended AS and not drafted a QB. No risk it no biscuit. They may have made a mistake?

A 500 team that is out of the playoffs for 2 years and doesn't have a QB, OL or decent WR corp and a lousy cap situation after 2 years out of the playoffs is a train wreck in today's NFL.

The stadium was a heist. 75% of it was put up by Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority and the city of Glendale. Almost all NFL stadiums with a few exceptions have been a transfer of public money to team owners. There is nothing about the Stadium that makes our owner a big spender or not.

Lets see what we do in the offseason. I'm just going to say that if Shipley is our starting center for the third year in a row I would stop with SK is a top 5 GM and the Cardinals are trying to put a playoff team on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    It's not smart or dumb. There's an argument for having his contract tied to the Head coach. On the other hand if things go South and you want to fire the HC you might want a new GM to make that hire. I think all this really says is Bidwill loves SK and wants him to run the football operations for at least the next 5 years. If SK is the right guy and the fan base is willing to give him a pass on trying to sell us on all in the last 2 years he has 5 years to build a team that competes for the playoffs, makes the playoff and advances in the playoffs. You hope he's great, he's young and he learned something. If he's mediocre and was a bit lucky and stubborn we probably are going to be having a ***** fest. He's a fairly young guy who had very mixed results. I think this offseason is big but the truth is we aren't drafting in a great spot and don't have a lot of cash. How we clear cash and build through the next 2 drafts is really going to show who SK is.

I'm in the minority on this board who feels that BA carried a team as far as it could possibly go with great coaching on the O side of the ball. To be continued...
    Pretty much this. The two guys are a team, and if one's contract is winding down it could create conflicts. Plus, it's just a contract. It doesn't mean Keim can't be fired for non-performance in say year three of his deal. What this really means is that if Mike wants to kick Keim to the curb he needs to write a big check. I'm in favor of the move, just more evidence that Mike is on top of it. Let's see what happens from here.

Never did I say Fire Keim. This is about giving him a not needed and earned extension at this time. Go back and actually read what I said before you blindly defend the mediocrity crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    He's the biggest Cardinal koolaid drinker on this site , he has a lot of fans too in that regard. Just like KEim not having the balls to get us a QB this VW doesn't have the balls to look at the cards with any impartiality.

Have you gotten the "my three year old can do a better analysis yet?"
    Yeah based on his "expert analysis" im starting to think he is the 3 year old.