Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

Don't know how you can extend someone after you missed the playoffs in back to back years after making the NFC championship game. This is the problem with MB, loyal to a fault. I'm fine extending Keim but let him prove himself first. I'm like any fan. I want to see how this new regime does. And I want to see what Keim does in this draft. His last two drafts were bad. The reason we missed the playoffs is primarily on him for failing to address weak areas on the team such as cornerback, wide receiver, center, guard, punter and kicker.

Hate to say this but this is very similar to Jerry Jones and his love for Jason Garrett. Jones loves Garrett like a son and it's the same with MB and Keim. There is a level of nepotism at play here. Both Garrett and Keim have been part of the "family" and with the organization so long that their owners are blind and can't see hiring or going with anyone else. I don't see things changing for a while unfortunately. If we have another bad draft and season, we might as well be the Jets because we won't improve for a long time.
    Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    The reason we missed the playoffs is primarily on him for failing to address weak areas on the team such as cornerback, wide receiver, center, guard, punter and kicker
    Wrong.

The reason Arizona missed the playoffs in 2017 was:

David Johnson
    Carson Palmer
    DJ Humphries
    Mike Iupati
    Markus Golden
    Tyvon Branch
    Deone Bucannon
    Jared Veldheer
    Adrain Peterson
    John Brown
    Corey Peters
    Antoine Bethea
    Jermaine Gresham
    Josh Mauro

That's 13 starters (when season began), plus AP who became the RB1 who either ended the year on IR or missed multiple games with injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    I guess he is free to be aggressive as he needs to be without the threat of being fired. No telling what his plans are now.
    Since when was Keim ever limited from being aggressive? Most owners would be appalled or question his draft picks with his emphasis on small school boom/bust selections. He has the longest leash of any GM I know. He doesn't deal with a meddling owner. In fact his owner does the opposite and drinks any Kool Aid Keim gives him
    Last edited by cardinalsDO; 02-13-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Thank god you're here to straighten everyone up with your pom pom charade.
    Nah. Just here to straighten out the fools like you, who know absolutely nothing about the game. All you know how to do is troll, and you're not even good at that.

My one regret is that, because I am the respectful type of person I am, I respond to you, which means the 75% of the forum who has you on ignore has to see what I quote.

To them I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    But the evidence points to him just doing what you claim a long term contract prevents.

He has not secured a young QB in the draft at all . And this is going against exactly what he claimed was most important when he was hired. His philosophy was to draft one "every year because good ones are so hard to find".

So what happened here? He got too caught up in the NOW to look at the long term. You really cant say otherwise.

Maybe now with his extension and old Bruce out of here he will do a 180 . But until I see that actually happen you're post is purely theoretical.
    Not disputing that he missed on drafting a QB along the way, but it's a lot easier said than done to use a high pick on a QB when you have a Vet QB playing at close to an All pro level and a team that you feel is ready to compete for the SB every year, which was certainly the case in most years. It's very tempting in that seat to add a Deone Buchanon or a DJ Humphries that fills an immediate need. Last year was the ideal year to do it, but they weren't aggressive enough for whatever reason.

I just think regardless of the QB missed opportunity, Keim has been a very good GM overall and the W/L numbers prove it out. He's certainly the best we've had by a longshot. And he's also young. You'd have to assume that his next 5 years will be better than his first 5 from the experience gained alone. That's typical of any business. And when the first 5 have you top 5 in the league in wins, it's probably a solid bet to an outright no brainer to go with him for another 5. So why wait?

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    Most owners would be appalled or question his draft picks with his emphasis on small school boom/bust selections.
    Most owners would be THRILLED to have a GM with the draft record of Keim, who has consistently drafted well above the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Congrats Keim. One of the best young GMs in the business. We are stronger from a national perspective, as a destination for free agents, in current roster, and in cap management than when he took over five years ago.

Was he as perfect as all the arm chair GMs imagine they would be? Of course not.

The positives since the Rod Graves years are numerous. He had a plan and it moved us from five wins to ten, twelve and thirteen his first three years. We got within a game of the Super Bowl. We were hit unusually hard by injuries two of his five years. He found us a miracle in Palmer for a mere sixth rounder, but attempts to find a successor through low cost, low risk young QBs like Gabbert and Barkley ultimately failed. I expect his one regret is not ensuring he got Mahomes or Watson last draft, and I bet he learned from that mistake.

This extension ties him to contract Wilks received:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-m-steve-keim/
    Keim is the reason we've had success but he is also the reason we've had failure. Keim's success in free agency/off season acquisitions have been oustanding and that helped us achieve success. But his poor drafts have also caused us to decline. The problem with the Church of Keim followers is they only recognize the former and pretend the latter was just due to "bad luck"
    Go Cardinals!

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    LOL. My feelings are definitely not hurt. It's just comical to see so many unrealistic "fans" who obviously know nothing about football and even less about the BUSINESS of football.

Locking up talent is 101 stuff.

Arizona won 8 games with 14 key players on IR. Think about that for a second. How many wins would David Johnson (2100 yards and 20 TD in 2016), Carson Palmer, Markus Golden (team leader is sacks and pressures in '16,) Tyvon Branch (top-5 Safety per PFF), and the entire left side of the Offensive Line have been worth? 2-3 is conservative. Using 2017 as a negative mark on Keim is patently absurd. It might have been the best job Keim and Arians did. Most teams would have imploded and pulled a 4-12 like the Texans after they lost just 2 key players. Or Dallas and Seattle (two teams so many of you guys gush over constantly,) who both missed the playoffs after losing 3 key guys. Not 14. Three.

The past 2 years ended with a record worse than the previous 3 years because of ridiculous outlier ST disasters in 2016 and a cascade of unfathomable injuries in 2017. It happens. Sports is not a perfect science. Especially the NFL, where the sample size is so small and fluke plays can turn games/seasons so easily.

The roster is deep. The team is set up to win for a long time. The cap situation is the best it's EVER been in the salary cap era.

There, of course, is a massive elephant in the room. The team needs a QB. No doubt. But Steve Keim has done nothing in his 5 years as GM to make any reasonable person think he won't have a good QB ready to start by August. The negativity and pessimism is mind boggling and completely devoid of any logic or reason.

Stop excusing injuries as if no other team goes through injuries. A top GM builds depth and a team that can deal with them. A LOT of the injuries are because Keim chooses injury prone players. The fact that he chose undersized WR like Brown and Nelson is his fault because they are injury prone. The fact that he actually thought John Brown would stay healthy and did nothing to address the position but drafting Chad Williams in the 3rd round is his fault. The fact you announce DJ will get 30 touches a game and overuse him because you managed to have so few offensive weapons because you overpaid Gresham and drafted Chad Williams contributes to injuries. The fact that he chose a statue QB with a torn ACL history is his fault. The fact that the O-Line he put together for that statue QB that got him injured is his fault. Add that on top of the usual injuries every teams faces and the depth they should have well that falls on Keim no excuses (except from the mediocrity delusional homer crew). We had no depth and our team is filled with injury prone old washed up Keim specials. All your arguments are woulda coulda shoulda. What if we had this guy, only if this didnt happen. I have news for you we are going to suffer more injuries next year and the year after that. Its up to Keim to make sure we have the depth to handle it, so sorry thats not an excuse. Keim didnt get it done when we had a healthy super bowl team, he didnt get it done when we didnt. The common denominator is he has FAILED TO GET THE JOB DONE.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-13-2018 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    Stop excusing injuries as if no other team goes through injuries. A top GM builds depth and a team that can deal with them. A LOT of the injuries are because Keim chooses injury prone players. The fact that he chose undersized WR like Brown and Nelson is his fault because they are injury prone. The fact that he actually thought John Brown would stay healthy and did nothing to address the position but drafting Chad Williams in the 3rd round is his fault. The fact that he chose a statue QB with a torn ACL history is his fault. The fact that the O-Line he put together for that statue QB is his fault. Add that on top of the usual injuries every teams faces and the depth they should have well that falls on Keim no excuses (except from the mediocrity delusional homer crew). We had no depth and our team is filled with injury prone old washed up Keim specials. All your arguments are woulda coulda shoulda. What if we had this guy, only if this didnt happen. I have news for you we are going to suffer more injuries next year and the year after that. Its up to Keim to make sure we have the depth to handle it, so sorry thats not an excuse. Keim didnt get it done when we had a healthy super bowl team, he didnt get it done when we didnt. The common denominator is he has FAILED TO GET THE JOB DONE.
    The fact that you actually believe every team dealt with the same amount/type of injuries that Arizona did is seriously frightening. Do you even pay attention? Ever? The only team that came close was Washington, but they had their starting QB (pretty big deal) all year and still finished with a worse record than the Cardinals.

Yeah, Keim should've TOTALLY seen Brown's sickle cell diagnosis 3 years in advance. What a dummy.

So you would never draft, sign, or trade for any player who had ever had an injury. Seems rational.

Arizona has one of the DEEPEST rosters in the NFL (mostly because Keim has been so good at drafting contributors.)

He has SUCCEEDED at being one of the best GM's in the NFL for his 5 years.

It's on him now to get a QB. His past should give everyone optimism that he will get it done.

All my arguments are factual and backed with empirical evidence. All of your arguments are delusional and filled with sky-is-falling nonsense built on emotion and unrealistic comparisons.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 02-13-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    The fact that you actually believe every team dealt with the same amount/type of injuries that Arizona did is seriously frightening. Do you even pay attention? Ever? The only team that came close was Washington, but they had their starting QB (pretty big deal) all year and still finished with a worse record than the Cardinals.

Yeah, Keim should've TOTALLY seen Brown's sickle cell diagnosis 3 years in advance. What a dummy.

So you would never draft, sign, or trade for any player who had ever had an injury. Seems rational.

Arizona has one of the DEEPEST rosters in the NFL (mostly because Keim has been so good at drafting contributors.)

He has SUCCEEDED at being one of the best GM's in the NFL for his 5 years.

It's on him now to get a QB. His past should give everyone optimism that he will get it done.

All my arguments are factual and backed with empirical evidence. All of your arguments are delusional and filled with sky-is-falling nonsense built on emotion and unrealistic comparisons.

The difference is I look at what matters and the product on the field, sorry to say its 2 years of horrible football and not met expectations, and thats how I base my assumptions. A top 5 GM means your team is competing for a super and is a top team. Since Keims Tenure that happened 1 year. Since then its been downhill. You have no legitimate evidence to suggest he is a top GM (Wins, competitiveness, Division Wins, Playoff Success, Super Bowl, Cap Situation, Depth, Future Outlook). All your going off of is fluff, moves you think have been great but havent translated to real substance. You make excuses and try to think up some expert analysis from your couch and fail to recognize the state of the franchise and the situation we are in at this time. Out of all the praise and award you have given Keim the fact is he HAS NOT GOT THE JOB DONE THAT HE HAS BEEN GIVEN TO DO, and that my friend is the facts. I tell it how it is and I call it how I see it. You make excuses on what could of been. Your like a Seattle fan saying we technically won 2 super bowls , it was just that one bad play. Well you didnt you made that play and lost sorry that does not count you did not win 2 super bowls. Or a pats fan well we didnt have edelman and if we did we would have won that super bowl, well tough break injuries suck but you didnt sorry you lost to the Eagles. Or Seattle, well we would have made the playoffs had Sherman and Chancellor not gotten injured, well you didnt sorry everyone deals with them you missed the playoffs thats the cold hard truth. Here you come in... Well Keim is technically a top 5 GM that hasnt accomplished anything because if (enter your excuse here).. Then a realist comes in and brings you down to earth and tells you well no hes not, he hasnt accomplished anything compared to his peers so no Im sorry these are the reasons he arent. You go and cry and your toddler has to cheer you up.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-13-2018 at 02:44 PM.