Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 205

Thread: BREAKING: Keim Extended through 2022

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    The reason we missed the playoffs is primarily on him for failing to address weak areas on the team such as cornerback, wide receiver, center, guard, punter and kicker
    Wrong.

    The reason Arizona missed the playoffs in 2017 was:

    David Johnson
    Carson Palmer
    DJ Humphries
    Mike Iupati
    Markus Golden
    Tyvon Branch
    Deone Bucannon
    Jared Veldheer
    Adrain Peterson
    John Brown
    Corey Peters
    Antoine Bethea
    Jermaine Gresham
    Josh Mauro

    That's 13 starters (when season began), plus AP who became the RB1 who either ended the year on IR or missed multiple games with injury.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Thank god you're here to straighten everyone up with your pom pom charade.
    Nah. Just here to straighten out the fools like you, who know absolutely nothing about the game. All you know how to do is troll, and you're not even good at that.

    My one regret is that, because I am the respectful type of person I am, I respond to you, which means the 75% of the forum who has you on ignore has to see what I quote.

    To them I apologize.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    But the evidence points to him just doing what you claim a long term contract prevents.

    He has not secured a young QB in the draft at all . And this is going against exactly what he claimed was most important when he was hired. His philosophy was to draft one "every year because good ones are so hard to find".

    So what happened here? He got too caught up in the NOW to look at the long term. You really cant say otherwise.

    Maybe now with his extension and old Bruce out of here he will do a 180 . But until I see that actually happen you're post is purely theoretical.
    Not disputing that he missed on drafting a QB along the way, but it's a lot easier said than done to use a high pick on a QB when you have a Vet QB playing at close to an All pro level and a team that you feel is ready to compete for the SB every year, which was certainly the case in most years. It's very tempting in that seat to add a Deone Buchanon or a DJ Humphries that fills an immediate need. Last year was the ideal year to do it, but they weren't aggressive enough for whatever reason.

    I just think regardless of the QB missed opportunity, Keim has been a very good GM overall and the W/L numbers prove it out. He's certainly the best we've had by a longshot. And he's also young. You'd have to assume that his next 5 years will be better than his first 5 from the experience gained alone. That's typical of any business. And when the first 5 have you top 5 in the league in wins, it's probably a solid bet to an outright no brainer to go with him for another 5. So why wait?

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    Most owners would be appalled or question his draft picks with his emphasis on small school boom/bust selections.
    Most owners would be THRILLED to have a GM with the draft record of Keim, who has consistently drafted well above the curve.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    LOL. My feelings are definitely not hurt. It's just comical to see so many unrealistic "fans" who obviously know nothing about football and even less about the BUSINESS of football.

    Locking up talent is 101 stuff.

    Arizona won 8 games with 14 key players on IR. Think about that for a second. How many wins would David Johnson (2100 yards and 20 TD in 2016), Carson Palmer, Markus Golden (team leader is sacks and pressures in '16,) Tyvon Branch (top-5 Safety per PFF), and the entire left side of the Offensive Line have been worth? 2-3 is conservative. Using 2017 as a negative mark on Keim is patently absurd. It might have been the best job Keim and Arians did. Most teams would have imploded and pulled a 4-12 like the Texans after they lost just 2 key players. Or Dallas and Seattle (two teams so many of you guys gush over constantly,) who both missed the playoffs after losing 3 key guys. Not 14. Three.

    The past 2 years ended with a record worse than the previous 3 years because of ridiculous outlier ST disasters in 2016 and a cascade of unfathomable injuries in 2017. It happens. Sports is not a perfect science. Especially the NFL, where the sample size is so small and fluke plays can turn games/seasons so easily.

    The roster is deep. The team is set up to win for a long time. The cap situation is the best it's EVER been in the salary cap era.

    There, of course, is a massive elephant in the room. The team needs a QB. No doubt. But Steve Keim has done nothing in his 5 years as GM to make any reasonable person think he won't have a good QB ready to start by August. The negativity and pessimism is mind boggling and completely devoid of any logic or reason.

    Stop excusing injuries as if no other team goes through injuries. A top GM builds depth and a team that can deal with them. A LOT of the injuries are because Keim chooses injury prone players. The fact that he chose undersized WR like Brown and Nelson is his fault because they are injury prone. The fact that he actually thought John Brown would stay healthy and did nothing to address the position but drafting Chad Williams in the 3rd round is his fault. The fact you announce DJ will get 30 touches a game and overuse him because you managed to have so few offensive weapons because you overpaid Gresham and drafted Chad Williams contributes to injuries. The fact that he chose a statue QB with a torn ACL history is his fault. The fact that the O-Line he put together for that statue QB that got him injured is his fault. Add that on top of the usual injuries every teams faces and the depth they should have well that falls on Keim no excuses (except from the mediocrity delusional homer crew). We had no depth and our team is filled with injury prone old washed up Keim specials. All your arguments are woulda coulda shoulda. What if we had this guy, only if this didnt happen. I have news for you we are going to suffer more injuries next year and the year after that. Its up to Keim to make sure we have the depth to handle it, so sorry thats not an excuse. Keim didnt get it done when we had a healthy super bowl team, he didnt get it done when we didnt. The common denominator is he has FAILED TO GET THE JOB DONE.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-13-2018 at 01:21 PM.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    Stop excusing injuries as if no other team goes through injuries. A top GM builds depth and a team that can deal with them. A LOT of the injuries are because Keim chooses injury prone players. The fact that he chose undersized WR like Brown and Nelson is his fault because they are injury prone. The fact that he actually thought John Brown would stay healthy and did nothing to address the position but drafting Chad Williams in the 3rd round is his fault. The fact that he chose a statue QB with a torn ACL history is his fault. The fact that the O-Line he put together for that statue QB is his fault. Add that on top of the usual injuries every teams faces and the depth they should have well that falls on Keim no excuses (except from the mediocrity delusional homer crew). We had no depth and our team is filled with injury prone old washed up Keim specials. All your arguments are woulda coulda shoulda. What if we had this guy, only if this didnt happen. I have news for you we are going to suffer more injuries next year and the year after that. Its up to Keim to make sure we have the depth to handle it, so sorry thats not an excuse. Keim didnt get it done when we had a healthy super bowl team, he didnt get it done when we didnt. The common denominator is he has FAILED TO GET THE JOB DONE.
    The fact that you actually believe every team dealt with the same amount/type of injuries that Arizona did is seriously frightening. Do you even pay attention? Ever? The only team that came close was Washington, but they had their starting QB (pretty big deal) all year and still finished with a worse record than the Cardinals.

    Yeah, Keim should've TOTALLY seen Brown's sickle cell diagnosis 3 years in advance. What a dummy.

    So you would never draft, sign, or trade for any player who had ever had an injury. Seems rational.

    Arizona has one of the DEEPEST rosters in the NFL (mostly because Keim has been so good at drafting contributors.)

    He has SUCCEEDED at being one of the best GM's in the NFL for his 5 years.

    It's on him now to get a QB. His past should give everyone optimism that he will get it done.

    All my arguments are factual and backed with empirical evidence. All of your arguments are delusional and filled with sky-is-falling nonsense built on emotion and unrealistic comparisons.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 02-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    The fact that you actually believe every team dealt with the same amount/type of injuries that Arizona did is seriously frightening. Do you even pay attention? Ever? The only team that came close was Washington, but they had their starting QB (pretty big deal) all year and still finished with a worse record than the Cardinals.

    Yeah, Keim should've TOTALLY seen Brown's sickle cell diagnosis 3 years in advance. What a dummy.

    So you would never draft, sign, or trade for any player who had ever had an injury. Seems rational.

    Arizona has one of the DEEPEST rosters in the NFL (mostly because Keim has been so good at drafting contributors.)

    He has SUCCEEDED at being one of the best GM's in the NFL for his 5 years.

    It's on him now to get a QB. His past should give everyone optimism that he will get it done.

    All my arguments are factual and backed with empirical evidence. All of your arguments are delusional and filled with sky-is-falling nonsense built on emotion and unrealistic comparisons.

    The difference is I look at what matters and the product on the field, sorry to say its 2 years of horrible football and not met expectations, and thats how I base my assumptions. A top 5 GM means your team is competing for a super and is a top team. Since Keims Tenure that happened 1 year. Since then its been downhill. You have no legitimate evidence to suggest he is a top GM (Wins, competitiveness, Division Wins, Playoff Success, Super Bowl, Cap Situation, Depth, Future Outlook). All your going off of is fluff, moves you think have been great but havent translated to real substance. You make excuses and try to think up some expert analysis from your couch and fail to recognize the state of the franchise and the situation we are in at this time. Out of all the praise and award you have given Keim the fact is he HAS NOT GOT THE JOB DONE THAT HE HAS BEEN GIVEN TO DO, and that my friend is the facts. I tell it how it is and I call it how I see it. You make excuses on what could of been. Your like a Seattle fan saying we technically won 2 super bowls , it was just that one bad play. Well you didnt you made that play and lost sorry that does not count you did not win 2 super bowls. Or a pats fan well we didnt have edelman and if we did we would have won that super bowl, well tough break injuries suck but you didnt sorry you lost to the Eagles. Or Seattle, well we would have made the playoffs had Sherman and Chancellor not gotten injured, well you didnt sorry everyone deals with them you missed the playoffs thats the cold hard truth. Here you come in... Well Keim is technically a top 5 GM that hasnt accomplished anything because if (enter your excuse here).. Then a realist comes in and brings you down to earth and tells you well no hes not, he hasnt accomplished anything compared to his peers so no Im sorry these are the reasons he arent. You go and cry and your toddler has to cheer you up.
    Last edited by OG Card; 02-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OG Card View Post
    The difference is I look at what matters and the product on the field, sorry to say its 2 years of horrible football and not met expectations, and thats how I base my assumptions. You on the other hand make excuses and try to think up some expert analysis from your couch and fail to recognize the state of the franchise and the situation we are in at this time. Out of all the praise and award you have given Keim the fact is he HAS NOT GOT THE JOB DONE THAT HE HAS BEEN GIVEN TO DO, and that my friend is the facts. I tell it how it is and I call it how I see it. You make excuses.
    He is widely regarded in NFL circles as one of the best GM's in the business. And his record proves it. Enough said.

    You obviously haven't been a fan very long.

    Most of us who suffered through burned thighs on the metal bleachers at SDS have a keen understanding of what horrible football is.

    It's too bad none of us got to see what a (even just kind of) healthy team in 2017 could have done. They were absolutely decimated by an absurd cascade of crucial injuries and still finished one game behind "contenders" like Dallas and Seattle. Green Bay lost just one guy (THE most important guy, no doubt, but certainly they did not deal with the same injuries as Arizona) and caved. Houston lost their two most important players (not 14 starters, but yes two important pieces) and finished 4-12.

    Philadelphia and Doug Pederson deserve a TON of credit for keeping the ship afloat after losing their starting QB. And they certainly overcame the loss of their LT. That was very, very impressive. I believe we might have been able to see something similar in 2014 had the Rams not ruined Stanton's knee. But Philadelphia would have been hard pressed to do what they did had they had 14 starters missing multiple games or ending the year on IR.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    Keim is the reason we've had success but he is also the reason we've had failure. But his poor drafts have also caused us to decline."
    This narrative that Keim has been poor in the draft is so insane I don't even know how to respond. Do you know what the league average is as far as players from a given draft succeeding? I guarantee Keim is in the top 3rd. Even guys that he gets nailed for like DJ now look good. Reddick is still a question. Nkemdiche is trending poorly. The guy has killed in rounds 3-7. Golden was a great 2nd rounder. You need to check your facts. Nobody hits on the 1st rounder EVERY year. Nobody has 6 -7 guys from each draft turn out well. Your standard is flawed and not realistic. As WV points out, the reason we can still win 8 games despite massive injuries was due to the deep roster Keim has put together.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1988CARD View Post
    This narrative that Keim has been poor in the draft is so insane I don't even know how to respond. Do you know what the league average is as far as players from a given draft succeeding? I guarantee Keim is in the top 3rd. Even guys that he gets nailed for like DJ now look good. Reddick is still a question. Nkemdiche is trending poorly. The guy has killed in rounds 3-7. Golden was a great 2nd rounder. You need to check your facts. Nobody hits on the 1st rounder EVERY year. Nobody has 6 -7 guys from each draft turn out well. Your standard is flawed and not realistic. As WV points out, the reason we can still win 8 games despite massive injuries was due to the deep roster Keim has put together.
    Since 2013, fewer than 50% of First Round players are starters. Even if you buy the narrative that the First Round is Keim's worst, he is still ahead of the curve in that round (3 starters, maybe a 4th if Nkemdiche wins the job this year, and the 5th guy was flipped with a 2 for the dude who just led the league in sacks.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •