Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Free Agency 2018

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    You pay them less the first year and make it up the next two years for Coussins because the 90 guaranteed. Not sure how long they scatter the guaranteed money for Norwell. He will keep enough space for 2019 and 2020 to sign guys we will keep.
    And David? And Golden? And Patrick?

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    And David? And Golden? And Patrick?
    Do you think Keim is seriously going to offer FA money this year with the thought that he would then have to cut Johnson, Golden, and Peterson....our core guys?

    You guys can bash Keim all you want but one of his main strengths has been getting us out of the cap hell we were in under Graves. He understands the cap a lot better than anyone on these boards....so if they are making offers to guys, it's because they know how it will impact the cap and have a plan on how to make it work. Keim is not going to make an offer to Norwell, have him accept it, and then go "Oh crap, I hadn't thought about how this would impact the salary cap!!".

    The cap is able to be manipulated in a variety of ways. If we make offers to guys its because we can afford them. If we don't make offers its because we can't. Simple as that.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    And David? And Golden? And Patrick?
    Patrick Peterson won't be up til 2020, David Johnson 2020 I imagine David Johnson will get a deal next year or they have the option WV brought up. Golden is up in 2019 cash will be there if they keep him. Needs to come back strong but by the end of the year I can see him getting extended.
    Last edited by Redbirdfan62; 03-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    459

    Default

    [QUOTE=Zaz;1201512]Everybody going after our targets have more money than us. Gonna be a rough week


    I concur.. But unfortunately that's the reality theirs 32 other teams in the league and when FA hits theirs always going to be some other team that has more Cap room to sign the big names

    Cardinals would be smart to stray away from the FA that are going to break the bank.. Just go after the FA that are an sure upgrade over what you already have

    You do this followed by good drafts, You'll provide a better roster every season.. As long as you keep doing that season after season you'll eventually win a SB

    But you have to be disciplined in your FA signing, know where you sit every season in the draft and who you'll need to target..

    I would even take it one step further by saying 4-6 round draft picks should always be used for FA trade or trade up in the draft options to acquire what you need as team

    Acquiring 2-3 FA and 2-3 draft picks every season that are upgrades for that current roster position is always placing your team towards a more successful season

    But for some reason alot of the NFL teams dont have these type of systems in place.. They don't draft right.. over spend in FA.. Injury bug.. But i digress

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamcardsfan View Post
    You guys can bash Keim all you want but one of his main strengths has been getting us out of the cap hell we were in under Graves. He understands the cap a lot better than anyone on these boards....so if they are making offers to guys, it's because they know how it will impact the cap and have a plan on how to make it work. Keim is not going to make an offer to Norwell, have him accept it, and then go "Oh crap, I hadn't thought about how this would impact the salary cap!!".

    The cap is able to be manipulated in a variety of ways. If we make offers to guys its because we can afford them. If we don't make offers its because we can't. Simple as that.
    O'rly?

    Keims failure to manage Tyranns known risky deal is the reason:

    1. We are now in a position where we lose Tyrann
    and
    2. will have 9M of dead cap as a result


    Everybody knew giving Tyrann a huge extension was a risk. Thus we all expected certain protections be installed for diminished play/injury/suspension, etc.

    Apparently no protections were written. Now we lose Tyrann and 9M dead cap.


    And if all that doesnt convince you, I got 1 word: Gresham
    Last edited by Zaz; 03-12-2018 at 12:17 PM.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    And where would that money come from?

    You sign both cousins and norwell and you will be cutting guys like Golden. Only so much money in the pot.
    Cards have over $100M in cap next year; Jurecki states the Cousins 2018 cap hit would be around $19M this year and $37M next year but only $19M for 2018. Norwell @ $13M/APY probably is $9M cap hit for 2018 and Iupati cut saves you $6.3M

    I've detailed this before but -- (Below are savings for 2018 cap)
    1) Cut Iupati - save $6.3M
    2) Cut AP - Save $3M
    3) Extend Buc to LT deal and save about $4M on 2018 cap.
    4) HB CUT AFTER 6/1 - Save $11M
    5) Veldheer Pay Cut - Save approx. $3M or more.
    5) Cut J. Muaro - Save $2.8M
    6) Cut Phil Dawson - Save $3M

    Total Savings from above -- right near $33M plus current cap space of $20M MINUS the Cousins-Norwell Cap hit of $28M -- still leaves you $25M and resigning Bynes - T. Williams - K. Williams - K. Martin would still leave you about $18M left for draft picks and a few targeted remaining FA's including maybe WR Moncrief and TE Dickson (probably can get Dickson to sign after 6/1 when HB's money is loosened up since there is trust with the present coaching staff).

    Don't worry about Golden and DJ since the Cards have a lot of cap space in 2019.
    Last edited by SurpriseCardFan; 03-12-2018 at 12:56 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    O'rly?

    Keims failure to manage Tyranns known risky deal is the reason:

    1. We are now in a position where we lose Tyrann
    and
    2. will have 9M of dead cap as a result


    Everybody knew giving Tyrann a huge extension was a risk. Thus we all expected certain protections be installed for diminished play/injury/suspension, etc.

    Apparently no protections were written. Now we lose Tyrann and 9M dead cap.


    And if all that doesnt convince you, I got 1 word: Gresham

    There were absolutely protections put into Tyrann's deal...that is why we are able to get out of his deal right now and not pay him 19 million bucks!! This shows you know nothing about the cap. One of the dumbest things Ive heard on this board in a while!!

    He have a 5 million dollar cap savings by cutting him, AND save 19 million actual dollars. His play has declined, and we can get out of his contract. That is the definition of protection. We get a 5 million cap savings this year, and 14 million next year!!

    Gresham looks like a bad deal now, but we got him on the cheap the year before and then paid him the year after. The fact that Keim is even able to get players to agree to take less money to play for us is a positive. Gresham turned down a 23 million dollar deal with 12 guaranteed in 2016 to play for the Cardinals in 2016 at 3.5 million. We can cut him next year with a minimal dead cap hit, and will have gotten him for 3 years at 14.4 million...or 4.8 million a year. It's still high for his production, but its not a reason to think Keim doesn't know how to manage the cap.

    You have done nothing with your examples except prove that you are ignorant about the cap, and that Keim has done a pretty darn good job.

    We have 20 million in cap space, and the ability to create another 30 million in cap space by cutting under-performing/aging players if we cannot renegotiate their deals. next year we will have over 90 million in cap space. We got this cap space at exactly the time when our roster would need to be turned...Palmer/Fitz/Arians retiring within a couple years of each other. That is pretty good planning.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Cards have over $100M in cap next year; Jurecki states the Cousins 2018 cap hit would be around $19M this year and $37M next year but only $19M for 2018. Norwell @ $13M/APY probably is $9M cap hit for 2018 and Iupati cut saves you $6.3M

    I've detailed this before but -- (Below are savings for 2018 cap)
    1) Cut Iupati - save $6.3M
    2) Cut AP - Save $3M
    3) Extend Buc to LT deal and save about $4M on 2018 cap.
    4) HB CUT AFTER 6/1 - Save $11M
    5) Veldheer Pay Cut - Save approx. $3M or more.
    5) Cut J. Muaro - Save $2.8M
    6) Cut Phil Dawson - Save $3M

    Total Savings from above -- right near $33M plus current cap space of $20M MINUS the Cousins-Norwell Cap hit of $28M -- still leaves you $25M and resigning Bynes - T. Williams - K. Williams - K. Martin would still leave you about $18M left for draft picks and a few targeted remaining FA's including maybe WR Moncrief and TE Dickson

    Don't worry about Golden and DJ since the Cards have a lot of cap space in 2019.
    BUT BUT BUT.....The experts on the board make their livings dealing with the NFL salary cap, and are paid millions of dollars to understand these things better than anyone else on the planet....and THEY say that we would have to cut 6 of our core players in order to sign anyone!!!!

    It gets ridiculous. I guess people don't understand that if and when Keim makes an offer to someone....it is done because he KNOWS we can afford the cap hit, and has a plan for how it will impact the team in the future. Keim is not sitting here planning out 2018 Free Agency, while completely blocking out the future cap situation!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    8,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Cards have over $100M in cap next year; Jurecki states the Cousins 2018 cap hit would be around $19M this year and $37M next year but only $19M for 2018. Norwell @ $13M/APY probably is $9M cap hit for 2018 and Iupati cut saves you $6.3M

    I've detailed this before but -- (Below are savings for 2018 cap)
    1) Cut Iupati - save $6.3M
    2) Cut AP - Save $3M
    3) Extend Buc to LT deal and save about $4M on 2018 cap.
    4) HB CUT AFTER 6/1 - Save $11M
    5) Veldheer Pay Cut - Save approx. $3M or more.
    5) Cut J. Muaro - Save $2.8M
    6) Cut Phil Dawson - Save $3M

    Total Savings from above -- right near $33M plus current cap space of $20M MINUS the Cousins-Norwell Cap hit of $28M -- still leaves you $25M and resigning Bynes - T. Williams - K. Williams - K. Martin would still leave you about $18M left for draft picks and a few targeted remaining FA's including maybe WR Moncrief and TE Dickson (probably can get Dickson to sign after 6/1 when HB's money is loosened up since there is trust with the present coaching staff).

    Don't worry about Golden and DJ since the Cards have a lot of cap space in 2019.
    If Mathieu is designated as a post 6/1 cut, Arizona would still have to carry the entire dead hit until that date. It does not save $11M until that time, and only IF Keim spreads it out $3.1/$6.2, which means it then creates a big dead hit for '19. It saves $4.9M for all intents and purposes (FA period.)
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 03-12-2018 at 01:27 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adamcardsfan View Post
    There were absolutely protections put into Tyrann's deal...that is why we are able to get out of his deal right now and not pay him 19 million bucks!! This shows you know nothing about the cap. One of the dumbest things Ive heard on this board in a while!!

    He have a 5 million dollar cap savings by cutting him, AND save 19 million actual dollars. His play has declined, and we can get out of his contract. That is the definition of protection. We get a 5 million cap savings this year, and 14 million next year!!

    Gresham looks like a bad deal now, but we got him on the cheap the year before and then paid him the year after. The fact that Keim is even able to get players to agree to take less money to play for us is a positive. Gresham turned down a 23 million dollar deal with 12 guaranteed in 2016 to play for the Cardinals in 2016 at 3.5 million. We can cut him next year with a minimal dead cap hit, and will have gotten him for 3 years at 14.4 million...or 4.8 million a year. It's still high for his production, but its not a reason to think Keim doesn't know how to manage the cap.

    You have done nothing with your examples except prove that you are ignorant about the cap, and that Keim has done a pretty darn good job.

    We have 20 million in cap space, and the ability to create another 30 million in cap space by cutting under-performing/aging players if we cannot renegotiate their deals. next year we will have over 90 million in cap space. We got this cap space at exactly the time when our roster would need to be turned...Palmer/Fitz/Arians retiring within a couple years of each other. That is pretty good planning.
    Your !!! usage is very Trumpish

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •