Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The focus of the Cardinals is still the same

Default The focus of the Cardinals is still the same

They need a long term answer at Qb and they have to fix the oline nothing has changed. Right now we stand a very good chance of wasting one of the best talents on the team and that is David Johnson. Look the chances of answering the Qb dilemma in the draft is almost so unrealistic. If this team does not shift their attention to the oline and make it priority 1 they will be considered failures in my opinion. Yes we have needs at other positions but unless we can prove we can protect a Qb and run the ball this team is wasting their time and I am serious about blowing it up and getting what you can for players and completely rebuild this team. This non ending circle of putting band aids on things doesn't work eventually that band aid comes off.

We see the answer for some on here is to trade back and take a Qb in a later round. That is not the answer and should not be their intention, if they trade back they take a chance of missing on a Legit starter that could help that oline this year. They have to go oline until this problem is fixed. Next years draft oh we will get a Qb then lol what a joke. That crop looks like maybe a few backups in it. The Wr crop in this draft is not that good either so our best chances of replacing fitz next year is gonna be in free agency although there will be some wr talent in the draft next year. I hope SK's plan for the draft is much better then his plan so far. I am very glad we signed Pugh I think that will prove to be a great move by him but the rest of his decisions were horrible. One Qb I am not sure he is worthy to be a back up and the other is so brittle with one hit you can have the guy that might not be worthy of a back up in the league playing Qb. I am beginning to see that while SK makes some good decisions he then turns and makes several bad decisions. When there is more bad decisions being made then good it's pretty easy to see how that will turn out.

If they don't fix this oline and get a guy like Foles this team is gonna go down that deep black hole. There is no other answer at Qb in sight going forward. I think most of us know Bradfords chances of staying healthy and SK paying him 25 million next year. I am sorry about this rant but the more I sit back and take a look the less I like what is going on with this team. I can see guy's wanting out if SK don't make good decisions in this draft and the next off season. This slapping band aids on things and saying we are not rebuilding is kinda comical and points to people that are either in denial or dishonest. I hope Smith can prove me wrong I just don't think the Qb's can.
    Last edited by Redbirdfan62; 03-31-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Another thread by the same guy talking about the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Another thread by the same guy talking about the same things.
    Not really, I am coming out of the closet and am Losing faith in SK. The players he added most to me was a waste and a mistake. The oline got better temporarily under SK but is back to being very poor in my opinion. SK missing on Qb's in the last two drafts and now 3 is a bit too much for me to defend. I am not saying SK can't fix it the team but he is giving reasons not to believe he will.

My views of course on how to improve the team has not changed that is correct.

Red.Red .Red...whata we gonna do with you getting a QB is not unrealistic and is gonna happen...just wait you will see....the final days of uncle kenny were dark as they get for modern day Card football,,,looked impossible with the likes of kolb,red skelton,mad max,etc....but in came a change of the guard and a 5 yr plan and we roared to within 1 game!!! then the lights got to hot and melted the 5 yr plan ,the remains of that plan lay beneath the Carolina tundra..(this is where i wanted to start the new Plan!! the morning after the CG..Enough seen ...but for whatever the new plan remained shelved for 2 more years
    Now its Time to do it again...maybe it will work as fast again and maybe it wont..but one things for certain there`s a NEW plan in town...it got us to where we needed to be last time...it will again
    The Wilks era begin

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    Red.Red .Red...whata we gonna do with you getting a QB is not unrealistic and is gonna happen...just wait you will see....the final days of uncle kenny were dark as they get for modern day Card football,,,looked impossible with the likes of kolb,red skelton,mad max,etc....but in came a change of the guard and a 5 yr plan and we roared to within 1 game!!! then the lights got to hot and melted the 5 yr plan ,the remains of that plan lay beneath the Carolina tundra..(this is where i wanted to start the new Plan!! the morning after the CG..Enough seen ...but for whatever the new plan remained shelved for 2 more years
    Now its Time to do it again...maybe it will work as fast again and maybe it wont..but one things for certain there`s a NEW plan in town...it got us to where we needed to be last time...it will again
    Rock I needed to hear that, I am blowing bubbles in my coffee this morning. I am just bummed because I felt so good that we were gonna get that Qb this year and then the jet's knowing SK got it done. Left me soul searching about this guy making decisions. I tell ya looking at next years college Qb class has me so disappointed and we might actually have a top 5 pick in next years draft

A day late and a dollar short.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    They need a long term answer at Qb and they have to fix the oline nothing has changed. Right now we stand a very good chance of wasting one of the best talents on the team and that is David Johnson. Look the chances of answering the Qb dilemma in the draft is almost so unrealistic. If this team does not shift their attention to the oline and make it priority 1 they will be considered failures in my opinion. Yes we have needs at other positions but unless we can prove we can protect a Qb and run the ball this team is wasting their time and I am serious about blowing it up and getting what you can for players and completely rebuild this team. This non ending circle of putting band aids on things doesn't work eventually that band aid comes off.

We see the answer for some on here is to trade back and take a Qb in a later round. That is not the answer and should not be their intention, if they trade back they take a chance of missing on a Legit starter that could help that oline this year. They have to go oline until this problem is fixed. Next years draft oh we will get a Qb then lol what a joke. That crop looks like maybe a few backups in it. The Wr crop in this draft is not that good either so our best chances of replacing fitz next year is gonna be in free agency although there will be some wr talent in the draft next year. I hope SK's plan for the draft is much better then his plan so far. I am very glad we signed Pugh I think that will prove to be a great move by him but the rest of his decisions were horrible. One Qb I am not sure he is worthy to be a back up and the other is so brittle with one hit you can have the guy that might not be worthy of a back up in the league playing Qb. I am beginning to see that while SK makes some good decisions he then turns and makes several bad decisions. When there is more bad decisions being made then good it's pretty easy to see how that will turn out.

If they don't fix this oline and get a guy like Foles this team is gonna go down that deep black hole. There is no other answer at Qb in sight going forward. I think most of us know Bradfords chances of staying healthy and SK paying him 25 million next year. I am sorry about this rant but the more I sit back and take a look the less I like what is going on with this team. I can see guy's wanting out if SK don't make good decisions in this draft and the next off season. This slapping band aids on things and saying we are not rebuilding is kinda comical and points to people that are either in denial or dishonest. I hope Smith can prove me wrong I just don't think the Qb's can.
    Technically, we don't even know how drafts do until 2-3 years later, we haven't seen any FAs from this year play, and we don't know what the draft will bring. I think the only place I would take a qb in this draft is round 2. And that's after trading down once or twice. No doubt I go defense in round 1. I believe a great player will fall to the Cards in round 1 mostly because of reaching for qbs and rbs. Maybe even reaches for wrs who I see as a lot of 2nd, 3rd round guys. Reaching for o-line as I see a lot of great interior o-line available in round 2. Keim in free agency had to do what he did. Blame it on the past. Whether it was BA holding onto guys too long, or was too loyal, mismanagement, or whatever. They got to this point where they had to sign high risk, high upside players in FA. Now we will soon see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if the Cards come storming out of the gate early and are ahead early on. To me, the draft is going to determine it all. They bust out and bomb this draft, there could be a big slide. But if they ace it, they take this division.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan

Pro Football Reference put together a metric called “draft value” which attempts to rate the draft value of players at different positions to arrive at a measure of how well teams have drafted. It ranges from 0-160, with only 1% scoring 80 or higher. It weighs factors such as number of games started, individual stats, team performance and all-pro honors. It also does not include a player’s career after he was traded from the team that drafted him.

BREAKING DOWN NFL DRAFT SUCCESS
    Based on this metric, here is how all draft picks over the past 20 years (not including last year) have fared overall:

16.7% Didn’t Play for the Team that Drafted Them.
    Most of these are draft picks that didn’t make the team.

37% Were Considered “Useless”
    Also known as busts. These are players that rarely or never saw the field. These are players that basically did nothing to help the team at all - and represent over a third of all draft picks over the past 20 years.

15.3% Were Considered “Poor”
    Still pretty clearly in bust territory. These are players that had underwhelming careers.

So, if you add up these first three categories of bust (excluding a few draft pick trades that worked out), you come up with just over 68% of all draft picks over the past 20 years have been busts - over two-thirds of all draft picks.

10.5% Were Considered “Average”
    This is also not a category that most would consider a successful draft pick, except perhaps a late round pick. These are journeymen that filled a role, but were otherwise undistinguished.

12.3% - Were Considered “Good”
    These are solid bread-and-butter players generally, who started many games, did reasonably well but not many accolades.

6.9% Were Considered “Great”
    These were picks that started for many years and were also at least above average, but not necessarily elite, at their position.
    For many people, this is the expectation for any 1st round pick, and probably most other rounds too. But the fact remains that staggeringly few draft picks ever reach this level.

1% Were Considered “Legendary”
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Pro Football Reference put together a metric called “draft value” which attempts to rate the draft value of players at different positions to arrive at a measure of how well teams have drafted. It ranges from 0-160, with only 1% scoring 80 or higher. It weighs factors such as number of games started, individual stats, team performance and all-pro honors. It also does not include a player’s career after he was traded from the team that drafted him.

BREAKING DOWN NFL DRAFT SUCCESS
    Based on this metric, here is how all draft picks over the past 20 years (not including last year) have fared overall:

16.7% Didn’t Play for the Team that Drafted Them.
    Most of these are draft picks that didn’t make the team.

37% Were Considered “Useless”
    Also known as busts. These are players that rarely or never saw the field. These are players that basically did nothing to help the team at all - and represent over a third of all draft picks over the past 20 years.

15.3% Were Considered “Poor”
    Still pretty clearly in bust territory. These are players that had underwhelming careers.

So, if you add up these first three categories of bust (excluding a few draft pick trades that worked out), you come up with just over 68% of all draft picks over the past 20 years have been busts - over two-thirds of all draft picks.

10.5% Were Considered “Average”
    This is also not a category that most would consider a successful draft pick, except perhaps a late round pick. These are journeymen that filled a role, but were otherwise undistinguished.

12.3% - Were Considered “Good”
    These are solid bread-and-butter players generally, who started many games, did reasonably well but not many accolades.

6.9% Were Considered “Great”
    These were picks that started for many years and were also at least above average, but not necessarily elite, at their position.
    For many people, this is the expectation for any 1st round pick, and probably most other rounds too. But the fact remains that staggeringly few draft picks ever reach this level.

1% Were Considered “Legendary”
    8% Great or Legendary, and I’d put Larry and Pat P in those categories, with D Johnson having potential.

Foles isn't the answer.

Wilks has made it real clear that his focus and priority is to be able to run the ball. He stated it as "demoralizing" to the opposition to be able to do that, and that's why he wants to be able to accomplish that. That makes it pretty clear he recognizes DJ as a huge part of the puzzle. Surely he knows he has to have an above average O line to accomplish that. I think they already showed in FA that's the focus....they just have to continue with the plan. An actual RT and a G/C would be on the agenda in the draft, or in FA afterward.
    It's telling that a "D" coach has this philosophy and wants to build that. If it's not lip service, they'll build the lines on BOTH sides and set the foundation best they can for the 2018 season. Maybe SK can snag a QB they like in the draft, but if I was Wilks I'd chomp the sandwich and start building my base. He's in his first year. If he could put an O line together good enough to protect Bradford or a rookie? That's the way to go. He better have some good line coaches.