Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Lamar jackson

LJ is growing on me. Not sure why that is. He is not perfect. But he may well be the right QB for the new NFL era.

My first pick is still BM. I think he can win and lead.

Geez, 1 week to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    You can blame me for the Foles talk. I will start another thread because Foles stands a better chance of joining the Cardinals over LJ.
    If you had been telling us to get Foles last year with the same gusto that you are now, I would be more inclined to think it through. Right now it sounds like you want to ignore the fact that we already have 2 QBs on the roster eating up 25 million in cap space, the fact that we need to draft a young QB at some point who will take the 3rd QB spot, the fact that trading for Foles right now at the top of his hype will cost at least a couple of picks and we have massive holes in several areas....and oh yea...Foles had one good playoff run! Where his team had home field advantage. The Foles you saw last year in Philly may or may not ever be the Foles you see again because of the circumstances around him. You mentioned how Foles was a total flop under Jeff Fischer, and was only a backup under Andy Reid. What the heck to we know about Steve Wilkes?? The guy has never been a HC before? How are we to know that Foles would thrive here in McCoys offense?

If Foles had been a Free Agent this summer, I would have been more than fine with signing him...even if we overpaid because of his hype after the SB. But trading for him and then resigning him to a new starter's deal is out the window now. At best it could happen next offseason, and I have the sneaking suspicion that Foles will do some things to quiet his own hype by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbirdfan62 View Post
    You can blame me for the Foles talk. I will start another thread because Foles stands a better chance of joining the Cardinals over LJ.
    Another thread LOL.

I don't know what's going to happen, but of the top 5 QB's, I think LJ is the most likely to end up on our team. I just don't see us getting one of the top four.
    C:\Users\Tom\Desktop\cat A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by cardsfan68 View Post
    If you had been telling us to get Foles last year with the same gusto that you are now, I would be more inclined to think it through. Right now it sounds like you want to ignore the fact that we already have 2 QBs on the roster eating up 25 million in cap space, the fact that we need to draft a young QB at some point who will take the 3rd QB spot, the fact that trading for Foles right now at the top of his hype will cost at least a couple of picks and we have massive holes in several areas....and oh yea...Foles had one good playoff run! Where his team had home field advantage. The Foles you saw last year in Philly may or may not ever be the Foles you see again because of the circumstances around him. You mentioned how Foles was a total flop under Jeff Fischer, and was only a backup under Andy Reid. What the heck to we know about Steve Wilkes?? The guy has never been a HC before? How are we to know that Foles would thrive here in McCoys offense?

If Foles had been a Free Agent this summer, I would have been more than fine with signing him...even if we overpaid because of his hype after the SB. But trading for him and then resigning him to a new starter's deal is out the window now. At best it could happen next offseason, and I have the sneaking suspicion that Foles will do some things to quiet his own hype by then.
    I have been on the cousins train and Foles once we found out Palmer was retiring and knowing where we would be drafting from. Well we hired McCoy to build an offense around our Qb and the same offense would be good for Foles but that is why they wanted him as a coordinator. Bradford and glen on both have contracts we can get out of and that was purposely done for protection. There is no way they are gonna pay Bradford 25 million next year unless he has his best season ever and stays healthy. Either way the chances of Bradford being here next year is slim to none. They tried to get both Cousins and Foles but the price was too high mainly because the eagles needed insurance. So I figure they will shop him mid season like jag was dealt so they get something for him. If Arizona donít deal they will pursue him in free agency. The only way they donít get Foles in my opinion or try their best is if they trade up for one of the top four prospects and that donít seem likely.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Another thread LOL.
    I rather talk about something that is more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by PUTMEIN View Post
    LJ is growing on me. Not sure why that is. He is not perfect. But he may well be the right QB for the new NFL era.

My first pick is still BM. I think he can win and lead.

Geez, 1 week to go.
    The athletic QB is not a new phenomenon. It's actually a previous era. Akili Smith, Michael Vick, Tim Tebow etc.

The new era QB is the opposite. Now it requires QB's to be more accurate. They have to be smarter and memorize large playbooks and break down defenses quicker. They are encouraged to run less because defenders are bigger and faster which leads to more injuries. So the quicker your release, the more you slide, the more you run out of bounds, the more you stay within the pocket...the more success you will have as QB and have a longer career.

The problem with athletic QB's is they are tempted by their athleticism. Why wait for a play to develop when you can run and get the first down? Why throw it out of bounds or check down when you can fit that ball between two defenders because you know you have a gun for an arm.

15 years ago, Lamar Jackson goes 1st overall. Not today
    Last edited by cardinalsDO; 04-19-2018 at 10:44 PM.
    Go Cardinals!

I think cards need to swing for the fences at this point rams and maybe even 49ers with Jimmy G our creating a talent gap.

Cards need to draft players that can close that gap quickly. If Lamar can play any where near the level he did in college the cards can compete with more talented teams. Similar to the way the Texans where whem Watson played.

Cards need a franchise QB rarely if ever do you draft a franchise QB without that QB having franchise QB talent.

Not only does Lamar have franchise QB talent but he could become a NFL record setting QB with his legs and arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    The athletic QB is not a new phenomenon. It's actually a previous era. Akili Smith, Michael Vick, Tim Tebow etc.

The new era QB is the opposite. Now it requires QB's to be more accurate. They have to be smarter and memorize large playbooks and break down defenses quicker. They are encouraged to run less because defenders are bigger and faster which leads to more injuries. So the quicker your release, the more you slide, the more you run out of bounds, the more you stay within the pocket...the more success you will have as QB and have a longer career.

The problem with athletic QB's is they are tempted by their athleticism. Why wait for a play to develop when you can run and get the first down? Why throw it out of bounds or check down when you can fit that ball between two defenders because you know you have a gun for an arm.

15 years ago, Lamar Jackson goes 1st overall. Not today

I should have defined 'new NFL era'. I did not mean athletism. New rules benefit QBs more and more. Example, in the old days Harrison drove the crown of his helmet thru Tebow's facemask. Suh body slammed Vick. Alonso decapitated Flaco. Etc. Defenders can be tossed for those tactics today. For a fleet-footed QB moving around outside the pocket, the new rules reduce risks. Even statue-like QBs are helped by new rules. I think Jackson will be working outside the pocket a lot with his new offense.

That's what I meant by new NFL era.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas cat View Post
    I don't know what's going to happen, but of the top 5 QB's, I think LJ is the most likely to end up on our team. I just don't see us getting one of the top four.
    I have also thought of this because LJ will likely be there at #15.
    Last edited by BulldogsCards; 04-20-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    GA Bulldogs Cards Fan