Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **Hidden Gems of the 2018 Draft**

Default **Hidden Gems of the 2018 Draft**

I always enjoy this topic. Theres so many studs out there that we miss them due to the sheer volume of prospects. Share some of your personal favorites.

- Poona Ford, DT. Texas. 5'11 303. Talk about a little compact car of a guy. Built like a boulder. Poona is the Drew Brees/Russ Wilson/Baker Mayfield of DT's, in that hes utterly dominant, but all scouts see is that 5'11. Im not alone, he has lots of fans. BR wrote a good article on him: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-2018-combine

- Josey Jewel, LB. Iowa. 6'2, 240. Well rounded. Hes like a poor mans Luke Kuechly (and we now have Lukes LB coach and DC). Tackling machine. Great in run D. Very good in coverage. Has pass rush ability. Leadership. He's a plug-and-play day 1 type guy. He doesnt have Riddicks athleticism, but hes 100 miles more developed and ready for the NFL.

- Mo Hurst, DT. Michigan. 6'2, 280. Slightly cheating. Hes not a hidden gem, because hes a 1st rounder, but I think he is a massively underrated gem. Hes a top 5 talent in this draft. He is a lighting fast interior penetrator. We havent had that since Dockett. PFF loves this guy.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...t-gerald-mccoy

- Anthony Miller, WR. Memphis. Not big or fast and yet dominates. Hes the opposite of Chad Williams. Chad is physically gifted, but mentally aloof. He doesnt seem like he cares. Anthony lives, eats, sleeps football. Not physical like Boldin was, but they dominate because of effort.

- Frank Ragnow, C. Arkansas. Lots of good C's in this draft but Frank is my favorite from a personality standpoint. Nick Saban, whos had more access to 5 star Olinemen than anyone whos ever lived, raved about Frank as an opponent. Frank is already a great player, but his physical mass (6'5 310, which is huge for a Center) gives him a very high ceiling for more growth.

- Tarvarious Moore, S. Southern Miss. As a small school guy, he made the All-American team, which is impressive. Meaning he was one of the 4 best S in the country. Athletically, hes like Brandon Williams, which is top 1%. Except he doesnt suck at football, unlike BW.

- Jake Weineke, WR. South Dakota St. I was a HUUUGE fan of Cooper Cupp a couple years ago. This guys almost a clone. Tall white boy who has 3 years of consistent, dominant play. Big yards, Alot of TDs.
    Last edited by Zaz; 04-12-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    I always enjoy this topic. Theres so many studs out there that we miss them due to the sheer volume of prospects. Share some of your personal favorites.

- Poona Ford, DT. Texas. 5'11 303. Talk about a little compact car of a guy. Built like a boulder. Poona is the Drew Brees/Russ Wilson/Baker Mayfield of DT's, in that hes utterly dominant, but all scouts see is that 5'11. Im not alone, he has lots of fans. BR wrote a good article on him: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...e-2018-combine

- Josey Jewel, LB. Iowa. 6'2, 240. Well rounded. Hes like a poor mans Luke Kuechly (and we now have Lukes LB coach and DC). Tackling machine. Great in run D. Very good in coverage. Has pass rush ability. Leadership. He's a plug-and-play day 1 type guy. He doesnt have Riddicks athleticism, but hes 100 miles more developed and ready for the NFL.

- Mo Hurst, DT. Michigan. 6'2, 280. Slightly cheating. Hes not a hidden gem, because hes a 1st rounder, but I think he is a massively underrated gem. Hes a top 5 talent in this draft. He is a lighting fast interior penetrator. We havent had that since Dockett. PFF loves this guy.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...t-gerald-mccoy

- Anthony Miller, WR. Memphis. Not big or fast and yet dominates. Hes the opposite of Chad Williams. Chad is physically gifted, but mentally aloof. He doesnt seem like he cares. Anthony lives, eats, sleeps football. Not physical like Boldin was, but they dominate because of effort.

- Frank Ragnow, C. Arkansas. Lots of good C's in this draft but Frank is my favorite from a personality standpoint. Nick Saban, whos had more access to 5 star Olinemen than anyone whos ever lived, raved about Frank as an opponent. Frank is already a great player, but his physical mass (6'5 310, which is huge for a Center) gives him a very high ceiling for more growth.

- Tarvarious Moore, S. Southern Miss. As a small school guy, he made the All-American team, which is impressive. Meaning he was one of the 4 best S in the country. Athletically, hes like Brandon Williams, which is top 1%. Except he doesnt suck at football, unlike BW.

- Jake Weineke, WR. South Dakota St. I was a HUUUGE fan of Cooper Cupp a couple years ago. This guys almost a clone. Tall white boy who has 3 years of consistent, dominant play. Big yards, Alot of TDs.
    I'm with you on Hurst, Ragnow and Moore. I like all 3 of those guys more than most do.

Mark Walton RB Miami - Don't know if he is a hidden gem or not, but because of injury and depth of the class is projected to be a round 3 or 4 guy. He is a do it all back, which is something we are rumoured to be interested in.

Martez Carter RB Grambling - This one I picked up from Matt Miller but watch a few videos of him and he is great fun to watch. On the stick to football podcast they likened him to a poor mans Tarik Cohen which is a great comp.

Cedric Wilson, WR, Boise State & Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami are fun receivers in this class too.

Michael Gallup WR Colorado State

Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa
    Parry Nickerson CB Tulane
    Braxton Berrios WR Miami
    Last edited by Hank Hill; 04-12-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Big fan of Ragnow. Still struggling to understand why he isn't mocked higher. Maybe the actual draft will see him go far ahead of what the draftniks seem to think?

Another guy, who admittedly I saw less of this year than last is Royce Freeman. In 2016 he looked a really exciting prospect. I understand that the focus has been on Barkley and the SEC RBs. But unless he progressed markedly, I think he has round 2 talent.
    You guys in the Western Time zone will have seen more of him. Am I wrong?
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

Cedric Wilson, WR, Boise State. Very Smooth looking WR in everything he does. Would make a great 2.
    Last edited by McCollum,Travis; 04-13-2018 at 06:12 AM.

I would double up on some names mentioned already but no need to. Great names thus far. Here are a few more that have stood out to me at some point.

WR from Penn State has potential in later rounds, decent size and runs great routes.

Nick Deluca LB North Dakota State 6’3 245lbs great in coverage, good instincts

Allen Lazard WR Iowa State 6’5 229lbs

Brian O’neil OL PItt - may not be hidden, should go in 2nd

Fumagali TE Wisc always seems to be there in 5th round of similator. Would be all for him later

Quote Originally Posted by Belac44 View Post
    WR from Penn State has potential in later rounds, decent size and runs great routes.

Allen Lazard WR Iowa State 6’5 229lbs
    I really like Hamilton, like you say he runs really nice routes, one of the best in the class.

Lazard I have been super disappointed with since the end of the season, I thought he was really disappointing at the senior bowl and his combine/pro days weren't great either.

Agree with Northern Soul with regards to Ragnow, he is more favourite interior linemen in the class.

6'4" 213 and ran a 4.67 at combine. Will still be available in the 5th and probably the 6th rds. Good Red Zone target, likes to go up and fight for the ball. Not a fast break off the line type WR though.

I would like to see this young man getting picked by the Cards in the 6th rd, with the pick we got from Denver with the Veldheer trade, the #8th pick of the 6th.