Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gambo reporting on the Cardinals trading up

Quote Originally Posted by Drachir View Post
    What I don't understand is the fact that SK has never drafted a QBOF while placing all his eggs in one basket with retread QB's and lightning might strike a bottle once in a blue moon (aka-Warner) however we are back to square one again. Even with Palmer we never drafted a QBOF. We must always have a QBOF and a QBON (Quarterback of Now) just invented that term. There is NO better year than this year to draft a QBOF.

I might just jump on that bandwagon if Bradford is injured after the first few weeks of the regular season and we rely on career backup QB's.
    It's self preservation. It's risky to draft and develop a rookie. From a GM standpoint, it's better to find a proven or somewhat of a proven QB in free agency to win enough games to keep your job. If you look at organizations, the GM who often drafts and develops the rookies are typically newly hired GM's because they were just hired and are given a longer leash. These are GM's who inherit a team that in decline and they've been hired to rebuild. But established GM's want to keep their job so they don't want to rebuild.

Fans are naive. We assume GM's think like we do. Fans think GM's want what is in the best interest of the organization in the long term. This is not merely a hobby like it is for us. It is their livelihood and job security matters. This applies to all sports. A GM often does what is in his best interest. They are judged by wins and losses. Think about it. If you draft a rookie with a weak offensive line, it could be 2-3 years before he plays well and has the surrounding talent to succeed. As a fan, we don't care. We will deal with losses if it gives our team a chance to win a championship in the near future. GM's don't think that way. They need to win now. It is much easier to sign a couple of yeoman free agents like Bradford and Mike Glennon who give your team a chance to reach 0.500 or slightly above this year. Then he can use that pick to draft other positions.

There is absolutely no way Keim trades up. And like Gambo said, I can see him not taking a QB or taking a project in a late round which requires no sacrifice.
    Last edited by cardinalsDO; 04-13-2018 at 01:17 AM.
    Go Cardinals!

This talk of the Cardinals "maybe not even taking a QB at all" is ridiculous. It's based on nothing.

Will we take one in the 1st round? Who knows, maybe not.

But we have plenty of time to take a QB and I think they surely will. There's no excuse not to.

I think people that freak out about that are just taking things way too far and they really have no basis for it.

Default silly season

imho sk will not trade up...a gm who mortgages the farm for a qb loses his job if qb doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    It's self preservation. It's risky to draft and develop a rookie. From a GM standpoint, it's better to find a proven or somewhat of a proven QB in free agency to win enough games to keep your job. If you look at organizations, the GM who often drafts and develops the rookies are typically newly hired GM's because they were just hired and are given a longer leash. These are GM's who inherit a team that in decline and they've been hired to rebuild. But established GM's want to keep their job so they don't want to rebuild.

Fans are naive. We assume GM's think like we do. Fans think GM's want what is in the best interest of the organization in the long term. This is not merely a hobby like it is for us. It is their livelihood and job security matters. This applies to all sports. A GM often does what is in his best interest. They are judged by wins and losses. Think about it. If you draft a rookie with a weak offensive line, it could be 2-3 years before he plays well and has the surrounding talent to succeed. As a fan, we don't care. We will deal with losses if it gives our team a chance to win a championship in the near future. GM's don't think that way. They need to win now. It is much easier to sign a couple of yeoman free agents like Bradford and Mike Glennon who give your team a chance to reach 0.500 or slightly above this year. Then he can use that pick to draft other positions.

There is absolutely no way Keim trades up. And like Gambo said, I can see him not taking a QB or taking a project in a late round which requires no sacrifice.
    Yes indeed everything you say is truth.

Keim would rather go 8-8 and have guys like VW say on the fan board "If only Bradford didn't get hurt we would have won the super bowl".

Bradford is pure public relations. Gets the fan base slightly excited about the possibility of him actually playing well and not be injured. That chance is very very remote. But he might play enough to get us to that coveted .500 mark where we can all drown in "what if's".

It takes massive balls to make a big trade for a rookie elite college QB. You give up a lot of future stock and if it doesn't work out your pretty well cooked.

But if it does work out your Philly and the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

Keim would rather go 8-8 and have guys like VW say on the fan board "If only Bradford didn't get hurt we would have won the super bowl".

Bradford is pure public relations. Gets the fan base slightly excited about the possibility of him actually playing well and not be injured. That chance is very very remote. But he might play enough to get us to that coveted .500 mark where we can all drown in "what if's".

It takes massive balls to make a big trade for a rookie elite college QB. You give up a lot of future stock and if it doesn't work out your pretty well cooked.

But if it does work out your Philly and the Rams
    Philly's gamble, so far, has added up to good in season stats.

The RAMS gamble, so far, has added up to one and out in the playoffs.
    Time travellers are making being a fan hard for the rest of us.

Could it possibly be the cards org are using gambo to drive down the possibility of them trading up? I mean he is the one main guy i have heard who has remained steadfast on the cards trading down. Whereas a lot of articles cite the general consensus of many execs that it very possible the cards will move up for someone like a rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by CardzDownUnder View Post
    Could it possibly be the cards org are using gambo to drive down the possibility of them trading up? I mean he is the one main guy i have heard who has remained steadfast on the cards trading down. Whereas a lot of articles cite the general consensus of many execs that it very possible the cards will move up for someone like a rosen.
    Yes that is possible. Teams play that game every year. Silly season.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post

Very well thought out response and I couldn't agree with you more on this.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post

But if it does work out your Philly and the Rams.
    You might want to change that to current Philly and the Rams. As the Eagles tried the "Dream Team" and it 100% backfired on them which is where I think the Rams are headed as I am not impressed with the "egos" of the team on the Rams. Too many clashes with continuity as EVERYONE is going to want to be a leader and NO one is going to want to be a follower.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-Canuck View Post
    Philly's gamble, so far, has added up to good in season stats.

The RAMS gamble, so far, has added up to one and out in the playoffs.
    The Rams are headed for disaster after this season when they have to manage the cap and they have all the dead cap space along with having to renew contracts of multiple prima donnas which never work.
    "Let's Shock The World" - Kurt Warner Jan 10, 2009 after defeating Carolina Panthers 33-13

Also if we do plan on trading any picks to move up, then i sincerely hope we trade next years picks, so that we can use our massive cap space to address our other concerns via FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachir View Post
    The Rams are headed for disaster after this season when they have to manage the cap and they have all the dead cap space along with having to renew contracts of multiple prima donnas which never work.
    But They know they are loaded for SB and they are going to throw everything they have it..much like the 2001 Diamondbacks and just like the Diamondbacks they will have a garage sale next year or the next(AZ Only Gold)
    as much as i hate the Rams(hate is such a strong work) as much as i Hate the Rams i envy them going for the gold..and they already won a SB
    The Wilks era begin