Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gm ranking list see where SK is now

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

It's a pretty good ranking. Obviously it's subjective. But I'm not sure what criteria you'd have to have to make it objective.

I'm fine with the top 5 on his list. Those guys have done a heck of a job keeping their teams competitive. I have very little argument for Roseman bumping Keim in the top 5.

However the next 5 have a ton of question marks. Both Schneider and Elway are living off the memory of two fantastic runs at the SB (with one championship apiece.) But how long do they get to ride that train?

6. Yes, Schneider won 5 years ago, but has had 6 horrific years in office from drafts to trades. He better whip up another draft like 2012 or he won't be top 20 next year. He belongs at #15 trending down.
    7. Elway has bad drafts and one remarkable year of FA pickups. Now everyone is old and gone. He has no talent in the cupboard and he just won 5 games. Dude's in trouble. He belongs at #16 trending down.
    8. Spielman has done a great job. I don't have much of a problem placing him ahead of Keim. He should be #6.
    9. Snead has one good season (11 wins), no playoff victorys, 5 outrageously mediocre seasons, a slew of questionable drafts, and he's ahead of Keim? Yeah, I don't think so. Keim has one playoff win, a 13 win season, better drafts, and a lot more wins in the same period of time. Snead should be behind Loomis and Jones, and a bit ahead of Jon Robinson. Around #11-12.

I'd put Keim at a solid #7.
    10 JRosen 47 CWilliams 97 MCole 134 DSchultz 182 EBrown 254 CToliver

Steve Keim thread.............zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Top 5 winningest GM.............

Best GM Cards ever had.............

Dudes a total coward.
    New board come join us. http://arizonacardinals.freeforums.net/

SK to me is an average at best GM. He has some some good things. Like sign vets to 1 year prove it deals. He has done some poor things. His drafts as a whole suck. Especially in the 1st round. His best he can claim in the 1st is Humph, and that isn't setting the world a fire. Their is a lot of room for improvement for SK. Question is can he improve ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    And then he promptly won GM of the year...
    in consecutive years per profootballtalk...

The talk that he's not good at his job is just idiotic. Perfect, no. Very good compared to his piers, yes.

And to the poster that opined that he wasn't good because nobody hired or offered him when we did, that's absurd. He was unproven and had no track record and was with a lousy organization. More of a statement on his mentor (Graves) and the team than him. The fact that we're now viewed better than we were and he's produced a GM in Light and another probable in McDonough should answer your question as to how good Keim is. If he was a FA now, he'd have multiple offers immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    He did and deserved. Did a great job in free agency. No so much with the draft
    Can you provide some actual data to base this on? For example, what's his hit rate vs the league average? I'm sure you have that info or you wouldn't have made a blanket statement like this. Look forward to understanding this better.

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    So Rosenthal has him 10th. OG has him 35th. Biggs has him 26th.

Who cares?

Here are the facts:

Arizona has the 5th most wins over the period where Keim has been GM.

Steve Keim has drafted better than almost any other GM when yo
    u compare him to his peers (rather than to perfection.)

The team has underperformed compared to its talent over the last two years (most reasonable people understand why, the alarmists will shout "no excuses!!!")

Any "ranking" is entirely irrelevant and subjective.
    Where is your evidence of this.

Months ago I brought out the drafting record of the Carolina Panthers GM. It had stud after stud on it.

We'll wait.......

Quote Originally Posted by cardinalsDO View Post
    What did they base this on? If you want to argue he is the 10th best or whatever, I can accept that. I don't agree with it but you can't argue with success and his first 3 years in the league were successful and he is responsible for that. He has done an amazing job in free agency. But he has done a pretty lousy job in the draft and that's why we declined so suddenly because when those free agents we relied upon aged (Palmer, Veldheer, Iupati) and we were left with the guys we drafted, the team has declined. Even his so called good draft picks declined like Honey Badger, John Brown, and Deone Buchanon. He has not been successful in the draft and teams are build on the draft.
    He blew the entire 2016 draft. all sucked. But he did trade the second pick for chandler Jones so the cheer leading squad will say he hit a home run.

Interesting article on Keim on az central. He said he was "probably mistaken not taking a QB in the first couple of round the last couple of years". DUH.
    Last edited by AriS.; 04-19-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    He blew the entire 2016 draft. all sucked. But he did trade the second pick for chandler Jones so the cheer leading squad will say he hit a home run.
    Ill never get into this argument again. It takes years off my life.

Trading a draft pick for an established NFL superstar is not the same thing as drafting a kid and him turning into a superstar. Chandler has nothing to do with the 2016 draft class because he wasnt a draft pick.
    Last edited by Zaz; 04-19-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Where is your evidence of this.

Months ago I brought out the drafting record of the Carolina Panthers GM. It had stud after stud on it.

We'll wait.......
    You mean the former Carolina Panthers GM. Gettleman ticked everyone off and got fired in spite of his great drafting record. If we only evaluated the man on one aspect than he'd be outstanding. However a GM does far more than just draft. He is the visionary leader of the FO and has to keep all parties on board. Keim is incredible at that. Gettleman was/is not. For the record, I like Gettleman. Just not better than Keim.

I think he'll restock NY right before he gets fired for annoying everyone to death.

And another aspect that goes completely missed is WHERE a team drafts every year. If a team continually draft in the late 20's like NE, you wouldn't expect them to hit as much as Cleveland who picks top 10 every year (including the subsequent rounds). In order to fully evaluate a GM's drafting prowess you have to consider the value of the pick in relation to the average value of that draft number. Context is everything. There are a myriad of other factors that go into evaluating him. Something we aren't fully versed in.
    10 JRosen 47 CWilliams 97 MCole 134 DSchultz 182 EBrown 254 CToliver

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    You mean the former Carolina Panthers GM. Gettleman ticked everyone off and got fired in spite of his great drafting record. If we only evaluated the man on one aspect than he'd be outstanding. However a GM does far more than just draft. He is the visionary leader of the FO and has to keep all parties on board. Keim is incredible at that. Gettleman was/is not. For the record, I like Gettleman. Just not better than Keim.

I think he'll restock NY right before he gets fired for annoying everyone to death.

And another aspect that goes completely missed is WHERE a team drafts every year. If a team continually draft in the late 20's like NE, you wouldn't expect them to hit as much as Cleveland who picks top 10 every year (including the subsequent rounds). In order to fully evaluate a GM's drafting prowess you have to consider the value of the pick in relation to the average value of that draft number. Context is everything. There are a myriad of other factors that go into evaluating him. Something we aren't fully versed in.
    But I was specifically referring to drafting . That was my question.

So I will wait while he gives me concrete answers about how Keim has drafted as well as anyone.