Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gm ranking list see where SK is now

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    But I was specifically referring to drafting . That was my question.

So I will wait while he gives me concrete answers about how Keim has drafted as well as anyone.
    Gil Brandt can sum it up better than me:

draftbrandt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Gil Brandt can sum it up better than me:

draftbrandt.jpg
    Gee that was informative.

Indeed.

The fact that the same GM has poached the best player in the NFL available at the end of Round One in THREE OF HIS FIVE drafts, at picks 69, 86, and 36, absolutely ends any talk of Keim being a bad drafter.

That actually is quite impressive.

The only real draft arguments I can see someone making with Keim is first round success and taking shots at small school guys mid-draft. First round Cooper was hurt and is still in the NFL starting, and our other 4 first rounders will be starting for us this year. As fo small school guys, there have been hits and misses, as there are in mid rounds of every teamís drafts.

So Rosenthal has him 10th. OG has him 35th. Biggs has him 26th.

Who cares?

Here are the facts:

Arizona has the 5th most wins over the period where Keim has been GM.

Steve Keim has drafted better than almost any other GM when you compare him to his peers (rather than to perfection.)

The team has underperformed compared to its talent over the last two years (most reasonable people understand why, the alarmists will shout "no excuses!!!")

Any "ranking" is entirely irrelevant and subjective.
    Indeed.

The fact that the same GM has poached the best player in the NFL available at the end of Round One in THREE OF HIS FIVE drafts, at picks 69, 86, and 36, absolutely ends any talk of Keim being a bad drafter.
    Gil's opinion that's all regarding a narrow outlook.

Not proof in any way Keim has "drafted better than almost any other GM".

Just because their starting doesn't mean their all that good. Who of his 1st rounder have made the pro bowl yet or become all pro ? Golden so far is the best of his 1st or 2nd rounder picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Raze View Post
    You mean the former Carolina Panthers GM. Gettleman ticked everyone off and got fired in spite of his great drafting record. If we only evaluated the man on one aspect than he'd be outstanding. However a GM does far more than just draft. He is the visionary leader of the FO and has to keep all parties on board. Keim is incredible at that. Gettleman was/is not. For the record, I like Gettleman. Just not better than Keim.

I think he'll restock NY right before he gets fired for annoying everyone to death.

And another aspect that goes completely missed is WHERE a team drafts every year. If a team continually draft in the late 20's like NE, you wouldn't expect them to hit as much as Cleveland who picks top 10 every year (including the subsequent rounds). In order to fully evaluate a GM's drafting prowess you have to consider the value of the pick in relation to the average value of that draft number. Context is everything. There are a myriad of other factors that go into evaluating him. Something we aren't fully versed in.
    He got fired because he was playing hardball on a couple of contracts with the owners favorite players. You know the owner who had to sell his team because he was chasing women around the hall ways and the NFL forced him out. Gettleman landed one of the best jobs in the NFL in 10 minutes. He's head and shoulders better than SK.

Quote Originally Posted by Itancan View Post
    Just because their starting doesn't mean their all that good. Who of his 1st rounder have made the pro bowl yet or become all pro ? Golden so far is the best of his 1st or 2nd rounder picks.
    Yeah SK needs to definitely focus on the safest picks in the first round. we need more production from the first round picks. I hope the diche takes off in the 4-3 but we need someone there next to him that will limit double teams. I think he has a solid year. I am hoping we get a OT or DT in the first.

SK started off hot but some of the luster is wearing off. He doesn't draft QB's (only 1 I think), he doesn't draft linemen very well, he has drafted defensive reasonably well but missed huge on Robert Nkemdiche and reached on Haason Reddick. He let Houston jump ahead of him and grab Deshaun Watson. He wins the trade war just based on Chandler Jones alone. His 1 year Keim specials perform well but then usually leave. His wins are front loaded and this year figures to be lean in that regard. He isn't top five and I think it is fair where they ranked him. If Steve Wilks does not work out they will both be fired.

Seattle- Wilson
    LA Goff
    SF Garaopolo
    AZ Sam Bradford on a 1 year deal

He's easily the 4th best GM in our division