Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Draft Review

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

It was an outstanding draft. I thought every selection had merit. No reaches. While I had guys I would have liked to take, it's very hollow since I've never scouted guys like Edmonds.

I believe Mo Hurst belongs in the same category as Dorian Johnson, Tiny Richardson, etc... Since we don't have access to the doctor reports it seems like our assessment of him wisely belongs in a holding pattern. That report might say something that would make us all relent on saying we would have taken him. Don't know. May never know.

FWIW, here's who I would have drafted (Minus Mo Hurst):

#10 QB Josh Rosen
    #47 OL Connor Williams
    #97 OL Mason Cole (I would've taken Hurst here depending on the report)
    #134 TE Dalton Schultz
    #182 WR Equanimeous St. Brown
    #254 CB Kevin Toliver

UDFA:

QB Riley Ferguson
    DT Poona Ford
    LB Skai Moore
    CB Holton Hill
    LS Mitch Fraboni
    10 JRosen 47 CWilliams 97 MCole 134 DSchultz 182 EBrown 254 CToliver

Even though the 4th round pick was not a need. That HB had a great productive career he looks like a gem.

The only crappy part is, David Johnson is a elite HB and you want him on the field like 75-80% of the game.
    And I still have high hopes for tj Logan too so idk how you realistically split all that. Cuz we all
    Know HBs need consistent touches to get rolling

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson21 View Post
    Even though the 4th round pick was not a need. That HB had a great productive career he looks like a gem.

The only crappy part is, David Johnson is a elite HB and you want him on the field like 75-80% of the game.
    And I still have high hopes for tj Logan too so idk how you realistically split all that. Cuz we all
    Know HBs need consistent touches to get rolling
    Logan, Edwards and of course DJ can be used as receiving threats as well. Along with the TEs, and now Kirk, it makes me feel much better about our WR depth.

Raze is offline You cant handle the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
    Logan, Edwards and of course DJ can be used as receiving threats as well. Along with the TEs, and now Kirk, it makes me feel much better about our WR depth.
    Plus Logan and DJ are coming off injury years. Hopefully Edmonds won't get a ton of field time (unless it's garbage time). We can only hope DJ and Logan stay healthy. If they don't, Edmonds will be a valuable piece going forward.
    10 JRosen 47 CWilliams 97 MCole 134 DSchultz 182 EBrown 254 CToliver

Lets face it. Anyone past the 3rd round who makes it is an added bonus. It's pretty much a crap shoot on any player past the 3rd round.

Hopefully you want.

1st rounder to be an immediate starter and be a perenall pro bowler.

2nd rounder is a rotational guy his first couple years. Then works his way into a starting position. maybe a couple of bowls.

3rd rounder is a sub package guy and good special teamer. Starter down the road.

4th round on. Is a special team guy and maybe a sub package guy. If he becomes a starter so much the better. More like a depth guy who fills in for someone injured and you don't loos a lot with him in for a game or two.

Scratching my head as to why anyone thinks we didn't need a running back, as soon as DJ went down we were appalling at running the ball, also pretty sure we nearly broke a record for worst YPG running the ball. Being honest I didn't know much about him prior to us selecting him but there is a nice little docu-series on YouTube and his same tape looks excellent. Yeah he wasn't playing against the best competition but he dominated them, and that is what you have to do at that level.

Love Rosen, he was the best QB in the draft. Yeah he has has had injuries and it is going to be fun watching him in interviews as he doesn't tow the company line, so to speak, but to get a franchise QB with the 10th pick is the steal of the draft. A+

Will be interested to see if Kirk can play outside, but I think he can come in and be our no.2 receiver pretty quickly, potentially being our no.1 when Fitz retires. Also good to see that him and Rosen have a pretty good relationship already, with his catching ability he will be a great safety blanket for Rosen. I've seen Stefon Diggs being thrown around as a comparison for him, which I would be more than happy with. B+

I really really really hope the Cardinals plan for Cole to be our starting centre to grow with Rosen. At the end of the day, when Michigan as a program are so high on him and he shown how selfless he is by playing tackle even though he knew it would hurt his draft stock, it shows you what kind of guy he is. B

Edmunds I've spoken about above. Super productive, can mirror what we have in DJ, superb game tape and he appears to be a fantastic person to boot. B

Christian Campbell, has the traits what Wilks wants with his size and aggressiveness. He is a project but we have one of the best guys in the NFL to coach up these projects. C

Korey Cunningham I have no idea about but he tested well athletically and has a good record against his level of competition. Again we have a guy in Ray Brown who has shown he can coach guys up who have traits, he would of had to pass his seal of approval so it is good enough for me. C

My hot take, we see Rosen, Kirk and Cole as starters in the league by Thanks Giving.

I probably would have tried to trade back up into the 4th and taken Hurst from Michigan, though there are clearly potential legal and financial ramifications that are murky at best should he have a serious medical incident while playing for the team.

Beyond that, I heard a radio host last week...Cowherd, I think...say that he's had several GMs tell him the general public doesn't value players in the same way teams do. The general public likes skill players and athletic bells and whistles and tends to over-value positions like WR and RB.

The question, IMO, becomes how much does need influence how you grade a player to begin with? I'm sure they try to grade as blindly as possible to the current team needs, but it almost has to seep in on some level, right?

And how much do you adjust your approach as you get deeper into the draft? It's not a stretch to think that if picking 19th and you have a player rated at 18 and one at 22 but the 22 guy fits your roster "need" better, you don't follow your board to the choose the 18th player. I think teams probably make tinkering adjustments like that as the draft progresses. Or, you have just picked a TE in round 2 and in round 3 your pick us up and the next two BPAs on your board happen to be TEs. Don't you go off script a little at that point and go to the next BPA not a TE?

With all of that said, I like Rosen...Kirk is being hailed as a solid pick and he may be a very good pro, but may be a little out of position as he learns the non-slot spots. I would have like to have gotten the TE from Penn State in the 2nd, but he was gone. Ditto for Sutton, who was my first WR choice. So I hope Kirk really develops.

One more nugget I'll throw out for thought...I'd seriously consider, as a GM, doing everything I could to package lower picks to get in the 4th round our higher. IOW, if I had a 5, 6 and 7, I'd try to trade those for a 3 or 4. Statistically there has to be a mathematical point at which more picks doesn't correlate into more success in lower rounds. Yes, there are guys from lower rounds that make it. But, the vast majority of NFL rosters are almost certainly round 1-4 guys. Scrap the bottom of the draft as often as possible and get up to the middle.
    If I didn't say it, it didn't need to be said.

The drafting of a RB was necessary and the fact that he is 'undersized' is ridiculous. At around 5'9" but playing at 200 lbs. with his reported shiftiness and production he will do just fine. His ability to catch out of the backfield and turn the corner will allow McCoy to playcall like the Bears did last season with Howard, their thunder back, and mix in rookie Cohen, their lightning edge threat. The Bear fans fell in love with Cohen just like Cardinals fans of yesteryear were thrilled with Stump Mitchell who came out of the Citadel. This small school back will play with a lot heart to go along with his talent.

The need for a quality backup at RB when DJ went down forced us into a makeshift solution that appeared satisfactory but fizzled under the cloud of continued injuries to an already dinged up O-line. He will be thrown into the mix of competition with Foster and Logan. Sorting out their skills and seeing their enthusiasm will be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    The question, IMO, becomes how much does need influence how you grade a player to begin with? I'm sure they try to grade as blindly as possible to the current team needs, but it almost has to seep in on some level, right? Need is worked into the equation.

And how much do you adjust your approach as you get deeper into the draft? It's not a stretch to think that if picking 19th and you have a player rated at 18 and one at 22 but the 22 guy fits your roster "need" better, you don't follow your board to the choose the 18th player. I think teams probably make tinkering adjustments like that as the draft progresses. Or, you have just picked a TE in round 2 and in round 3 your pick us up and the next two BPAs on your board happen to be TEs. Don't you go off script a little at that point and go to the next BPA not a TE? Teams reset their boards each day, so yes adjustments and tinkering are happening.

One more nugget I'll throw out for thought...I'd seriously consider, as a GM, doing everything I could to package lower picks to get in the 4th round our higher. IOW, if I had a 5, 6 and 7, I'd try to trade those for a 3 or 4. Statistically there has to be a mathematical point at which more picks doesn't correlate into more success in lower rounds. Yes, there are guys from lower rounds that make it. But, the vast majority of NFL rosters are almost certainly round 1-4 guys. Scrap the bottom of the draft as often as possible and get up to the middle. Actually, it's the reverse. Once you hit Round 4, the rest of the draft is a crap shoot, so teams are wanting more darts. Now, in Round 4, you will occasionally find a trade partner who has a guy so much higher on their list (with say a Round 2 or even low Round 1 grade) that they will be willing to package picks to come up. But once you get to Round 5, you don't see as many trades because everyone wants to trade down (and get more picks) and nobody wants to come up.
    Responses in bold.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 04-30-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Well we see how the Cardinals decided on each pick:

Thus far, “we didn’t veer because of grades or because of positional need,” Keim said. “We stuck to value and we stuck to the person.”