Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Draft Review

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    First of all, I have to exclude Mo Hurst otherwise every pick from round 3+ is going to be an F because we shouldve taken Mo Hurst. Im absolutely beside myself. The dude was the best DT in the entire draft and we passed on him over and over like Tom Brady.
    Hurst has a heart condition. A fifth round flyer would have been OK, but we didn't have 5th round pick. Taking Hurst any earlier was a huge risk. He may be OK, but Gathers died from a similar condition while Lotuleilui has flourished. I think there was just not enough time to evaluate whether Hurst will play and therefore most teams took him off their boards. Mayock reported that all but two teams had removed him from their draft boards. Obviously, Oakland was one of the teams. Not sure who the other team was.

Quote Originally Posted by LongTimeFan View Post
    Hurst has a heart condition. A fifth round flyer would have been OK, but we didn't have 5th round pick. Taking Hurst any earlier was a huge risk. He may be OK, but Gathers died from a similar condition while Lotuleilui has flourished. I think there was just not enough time to evaluate whether Hurst will play and therefore most teams took him off their boards. Mayock reported that all but two teams had removed him from their draft boards. Obviously, Oakland was one of the teams. Not sure who the other team was.
    Yea, Hurst probably would have been a reach based on the health issue. Dalton Schultz TE (Cowboys) and McIntosh DL (Giants) maybe could have been a pick in the 4th instead. I had mocked in 5th round Jaylen Samuels (Pitt) as a good value pick which is exactly where he was selected. I think Edmonds will be good but I also am a big believer in what TJ Logan might provide in 2018 so Schultz and McIntosh at need positions would have been my inclination.

Quote Originally Posted by SurpriseCardFan View Post
    Yea, Hurst probably would have been a reach based on the health issue. Dalton Schultz TE (Cowboys) and McIntosh DL (Giants) maybe could have been a pick in the 4th instead. I had mocked in 5th round Jaylen Samuels (Pitt) as a good value pick which is exactly where he was selected. I think Edmonds will be good but I also am a big believer in what TJ Logan might provide in 2018 so Schultz and McIntosh at need positions would have been my inclination.
    I agree with you that based on need, one could have considered Schultz and/or McIntosh; however, team needs in the spring do not always equate to team needs in the fall. This is the reason, most GMs select BPA, based on their draft board ranking. If your ranking differs from the team's ranking, that is a different argument. When BPA matches a need, that is the best "fit".

Quote Originally Posted by WVcardsFan View Post
    Responses in bold.
    One more nugget I'll throw out for thought...I'd seriously consider, as a GM, doing everything I could to package lower picks to get in the 4th round our higher. IOW, if I had a 5, 6 and 7, I'd try to trade those for a 3 or 4. Statistically there has to be a mathematical point at which more picks doesn't correlate into more success in lower rounds. Yes, there are guys from lower rounds that make it. But, the vast majority of NFL rosters are almost certainly round 1-4 guys. Scrap the bottom of the draft as often as possible and get up to the middle. Actually, it's the reverse. Once you hit Round 4, the rest of the draft is a crap shoot, so teams are wanting more darts. Now, in Round 4, you will occasionally find a trade partner who has a guy so much higher on their list (with say a Round 2 or even low Round 1 grade) that they will be willing to package picks to come up. But once you get to Round 5, you don't see as many trades because everyone wants to trade down (and get more picks) and nobody wants to come up.

I get that. But my question is why not take your lower picks and bundle them to come up to the 4th. IOW, I'd rather have another 4th rounder than a 5, 6 and 7 who are not likely (in most cases) to make the team or last more than a season. I don't want to participate in a crap shoot. No one does it this way, so with all of the analytics out there, it's not being done for a reason. But I'd like someone who is smarter than me to dig into it some and look at the statistics.

I guess the next question is, if you had a 5, 6 and 7, would you be able to trade those for a stand alone 4?
    If I didn't say it, it didn't need to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    I`m still pulling for Chad,it will be interesting to see all these guys Under Wilks....It`s gonna be an awesome season just watching all this come together...may or may not be many wins ..but it will be entertaining
    I'm looking forward to it, if for no other reason than to compare and contrast the Arians bluster with what Wilks brings. As for Keim and the draft, I'm on board with all of the NFL intelligensia giving him an A grade. I got my wish.... no QB projects later, no Allen earlier. Good day, good DAY!

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    One more nugget I'll throw out for thought...I'd seriously consider, as a GM, doing everything I could to package lower picks to get in the 4th round our higher. IOW, if I had a 5, 6 and 7, I'd try to trade those for a 3 or 4. Statistically there has to be a mathematical point at which more picks doesn't correlate into more success in lower rounds. Yes, there are guys from lower rounds that make it. But, the vast majority of NFL rosters are almost certainly round 1-4 guys. Scrap the bottom of the draft as often as possible and get up to the middle. Actually, it's the reverse. Once you hit Round 4, the rest of the draft is a crap shoot, so teams are wanting more darts. Now, in Round 4, you will occasionally find a trade partner who has a guy so much higher on their list (with say a Round 2 or even low Round 1 grade) that they will be willing to package picks to come up. But once you get to Round 5, you don't see as many trades because everyone wants to trade down (and get more picks) and nobody wants to come up.

I get that. But my question is why not take your lower picks and bundle them to come up to the 4th. IOW, I'd rather have another 4th rounder than a 5, 6 and 7 who are not likely (in most cases) to make the team or last more than a season. I don't want to participate in a crap shoot. No one does it this way, so with all of the analytics out there, it's not being done for a reason. But I'd like someone who is smarter than me to dig into it some and look at the statistics.

I guess the next question is, if you had a 5, 6 and 7, would you be able to trade those for a stand alone 4?
    There are plenty of UDFA who play in the NFL. A 5, 6 or 7th round pick gives you control of a player. In some cases it costs less than signing an in demand UDFA who may want to go to another team. Plenty of 5 and 6 picks can turn into good players. If you dumped all the 5,6 and 7 players into the UDFA pool the price of UDFA's would go up and players, not teams would have control of where they went. The NFL is all about controlling players. The CBA, drug testing rookie salary slots and options, Franchise tags, Commissioner power is all about the league and teams controlling the players. The draft used to have up to 30 rounds and has dropped considerably as more teams have been added. The draft is all about control of talent. Never forget that. You need players to compete in camp and giving teams control over players keeps the price of training camp fodder lower than an open market would.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    There are plenty of UDFA who play in the NFL. A 5, 6 or 7th round pick gives you control of a player. In some cases it costs less than signing an in demand UDFA who may want to go to another team. Plenty of 5 and 6 picks can turn into good players. If you dumped all the 5,6 and 7 players into the UDFA pool the price of UDFA's would go up and players, not teams would have control of where they went. The NFL is all about controlling players. The CBA, drug testing rookie salary slots and options, Franchise tags, Commissioner power is all about the league and teams controlling the players. The draft used to have up to 30 rounds and has dropped considerably as more teams have been added. The draft is all about control of talent. Never forget that. You need players to compete in camp and giving teams control over players keeps the price of training camp fodder lower than an open market would.
    Great points.