Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    much like the Vikings 40 year old CB Terence Newman, some guys games arent based on speed. Tramon and Terence have elite technique, and that keeps them stars long after the 30 year old expiration date.

The man is 35 years old and was arguably our best CB. If he were to fall off the cliff, it wouldve happened by now. I think hes earned the right to not suffer these baseless "youre old" criticisms.

Grow up dude. Adults make decisions based on money. He is from Louisiana. He went to school in Louisiana. Quick google check...he lives in Louisiana in the off season. "home" is Louisiana. Green Bay is an old team that cut him. He went back because they offered him more money. If we paid him as we shouldve, he'd be a Cardinal.
    Terence Newman is an anomaly. Most fall off very quickly right around the age of Williams.

And you lost whatever argument you are making when you say he was our best corner. That's just nuts. Half a season covering the weak side of the field.

Horrible argument.

I'm a big believer in objective metrics. You'll often see me quote PFF as one tool of analysis. That being said, they themselves have mentioned NUMEROUS times that one of their greatest pitfalls is the inability to properly grade shutdown CB's (and right now the argument can be made that only 2 exist- Peterson and Ramsey.)

Simply put, you cannot grade what you cannot see, and it's impossible to quantify "being avoided"... which is what PP21 is all game, all season.

To reflect the inherent flaw in their grading of that particular position, PFF has expanded their stats now to include things like "targets per coverage snaps," which sees Peterson at #1.
    Last edited by WVcardsFan; 05-03-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AriS. View Post
    Terence Newman is an anomaly. Most fall off very quickly right around the age of Williams.

And you lost whatever argument you are making when you say he was our best corner. That's just nuts. Half a season covering the weak side of the field.

Horrible argument.
    Tramon is the same anomaly. Hes 35. He shouldve fallen off 3 years ago. Hes deep into anomaly range. And he was our best CB in 2017.

It was the weak side of the field. And? Do #2 WRs catches and TDs not matter? If PP gives up zero TDs but the #2 CB gives up 4 TDs in a game, do we win because it was the weakside??

At one point in time Tyrann was our defensive MVP...and he was just a slot CB who covered TEs and #3 WRs.

Apparently players other than the #1 CB are valuable too.

[QUOTE=Zaz;1209664]Tramon is the same anomaly. Hes 35. He shouldve fallen off 3 years ago. Hes deep into anomaly range. And he was our best CB in 2017.

It was the weak side of the field. And? Do #2 WRs catches and TDs not matter? If PP gives up zero TDs but the #2 CB gives up 4 TDs in a game, do we win because it was the weakside??

At one point in time Tyrann was our defensive MVP...and he was just a slot CB who covered TEs and #3 WRs.

Obviously we desperately need TWO CB's then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Tramon is the same anomaly. Hes 35. He shouldve fallen off 3 years ago. Hes deep into anomaly range. And he was our best CB in 2017.

Tramon Williams was our best #2 CB and I agree, in the time he started for us, he was one of the best #2 CBs statistically in the league. Patrick Peterson was our best #1 CB. If I had to pick who I wanted to line up against Julio Jones, AJ Green, Odell Beckham, etc. I would pick Patrick Peterson. You're entitled to your opinion if you think Williams is a better matchup against those WRs though.

Either way, Williams is gone at this point. Maybe it was a mistake for us to let him go, maybe it wasn't... Time will tell.

What I think is a mistake though is for us to continue moving forward with the CBs we have on our roster, when we could add more competition with an established vet like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If our rookies or younger players beat him out, I'll be thrilled. We hoped Bethel or Brandon Williams would beat out Tramon Williams too, even if we didn't think it was likely.

Currently, we're betting on the young guys to pan out. We should hedge our bet with the best veteran we can find/afford... Currently I don't think Benwikere or any other vet on our roster are good enough to take over as the #2 without being the Achilles heel of our defense, but I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by beauwinden; 05-03-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beauwinden View Post
    Tramon Williams was our best #2 CB and I agree, in the time he started for us, he was one of the best #2 CBs statistically in the league. Patrick Peterson was our best #1 CB. If I had to pick who I wanted to line up against Julio Jones, AJ Green, Odell Beckham, etc. I would pick Patrick Peterson. You're entitled to your opinion if you think Williams is a better matchup against those WRs though.

Either way, Williams is gone at this point. Maybe it was a mistake for us to let him go, maybe it wasn't... Time will tell.

What I think is a mistake though is for us to continue moving forward with the CBs we have on our roster, when we could add more competition with an established vet like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If our rookies or younger players beat him out, I'll be thrilled. We hoped Bethel or Brandon Williams would beat out Tramon Williams too, even if we didn't think it was likely.

Currently, we're betting on the young guys to pan out. We should hedge our bet with the best veteran we can find/afford... Currently I don't think Benwikere or any other vet on our roster are good enough to take over as the #2 without being the Achilles heel of our defense, but I hope I'm wrong.
    What about Bashaud Breeland?

Quote Originally Posted by Espnjunkie View Post
    What about Bashaud Breeland?
    He was going to sign with the Panthers, but his deal was voided due to issues with his physical that would take multiple months to return. I haven't seen any news since of anyone calling him up but he wouldn't be a bad pickup when healthy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...hers-deal-void

Default corner

hopefully sk will add a vet as cuts are made...im sick of the Brandon Williams "hes gonna be great this year" stuff.

Why not give DRC a shot if we can get him for cheap?