Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Browns exec on Josh Rosen: “Something about him . . . bothered me”

Default Article: Browns exec on Josh Rosen: “Something about him . . . bothered me”

I have to admit though, its a weird article. Doesnt really go into depth, maybe he is just making an excuse?

Browns V.P. of player personnel Alonzo Highsmith had plenty to say on Monday about how the team settled on quarterback Baker Mayfield. Highsmith also shared some insights on why the Browns didn’t settle on quarterback Josh Rosen.

“I was at an airport,” Highsmith said Monday at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Luncheon Club, via the Canton Repository. “UCLA’s volleyball team was in front of me. You heard so much about Rosen. He’s this or that. We all know how people talk.

“So I asked one of the volleyball coaches, ‘What’s Rosen like?’ He said, ‘Aaaa, you should probably ask his girlfriend. She’s one of the players. She’s over there.’

“I’m like, ‘All right coach. That’s good enough.’ . . . I don’t know what all this means, but there was something about him that bothered me.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...m-bothered-me/

I was just over at PFT, then popped in here and your thread was sitting here, so....Lol...that's about the epitome of a non story huh? I guess he was more bothered with the idea of approaching Rosen's GF?

Frankly I feel like something about Highsmith bothers me.....

Oh! I missed it! Now I get it. Highsmith doesn't like QB's that have GF's that play volleyball!
    Last edited by CardCore; 05-01-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    I was just over at PFT, then popped in here and your thread was sitting here, so....Lol...that's about the epitome of a non story huh? I guess he was more bothered with the idea of approaching Rosen's GF?

Frankly I feel like something about Highsmith bothers me.....

Oh! I missed it! Now I get it. Highsmith doesn't like QB's that have GF's that play volleyball!
    The first thought that popped in my head after reading it was him trying to give some excuse or reasoning on why they passed on Rosen since the Browns were getting some criticism on drafting Mayfield... Just seemed like a shallow reason for passing on a QB. We are talking about a QB that possibly can make your franchise better for years to come and you pass on one of those potential QB's because having to talk to his girlfriend bothered you? Maybe more to the story as they say.

Browns are ******.
    New board come join us. http://arizonacardinals.freeforums.net/

Default qb

hmmm...if the browns don't like a qb...given their track record maybe that means rosen will be great

I can only surmise that the volleyball coach may have rolled his eyes, shrugged and given off body language that made it clear to Highsmith that this coach may not have liked Rosen and as the coach of Rosen's GF, didn't want to be saying anything disparaging about her BF. Sometimes body language tells more than words, and those details were not outlined in the translation of the "conversation".

Quote Originally Posted by CardCore View Post
    I can only surmise that the volleyball coach may have rolled his eyes, shrugged and given off body language that made it clear to Highsmith that this coach may not have liked Rosen and as the coach of Rosen's GF, didn't want to be saying anything disparaging about her BF. Sometimes body language tells more than words, and those details were not outlined in the translation of the "conversation".
    More probably to the effect that he doesn’t have the first clue about Rosen since he is an assistant coach of the women’s volleyball team and that in itself is a tremendous amount of work. UCLA is huge and the women’s volleyball season is pretty short so you got lots of work to do in a short timeframe. Also, a lot of assistant coaches are grad students so you add that to thier plate and it’s easy to see why he didn’t start gushing accolades about Rosen. Probably looking at Highsmith like “if you want to talk to me about my team or players I have all the time in the world for you.....anything else, please go bug someone else”

The Browns disfunctionality is reaching legendary status. “We can’t draft his guy number 1 because his girlfriends assistant volleyball coach blew me off at the airport when I started to badger him about Rosen.”

lol
    Last edited by boomer719; 05-01-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer719 View Post
    More probably to the effect that he doesn’t have the first clue about Rosen since he is an assistant coach of the women’s volleyball team and that in itself is a tremendous amount of work. UCLA is huge and the women’s volleyball season is pretty short so you got lots of work to do in a short timeframe. Also, a lot of assistant coaches are grad students so you add that to thier plate and it’s easy to see why he didn’t start gushing accolades about Rosen. Probably looking at Highsmith like “if you want to talk to me about my team or players I have all the time in the world for you.....anything else, please go bug someone else”

The Browns disfunctionality is reaching legendary status. “We can’t draft his guy number 1 because his girlfriends assistant volleyball coach blew me off at the airport when I started to badger him about Rosen.”

lol
    As written, its only a declaration that Highsmith is a numbskull. Kinda gives credence to the idea that some things were left out of the translation. Unless of course Highsmith is merely a numbskull...

Good post Silly...I jumped on to post this exact article portion. Here's my thoughts...

Rosen has 2 choices, really (assuming injuries don't play a major factor in his career trajectory).

1. Be the guy many (not all) say he is. Be the guy that something about him "bothers" people and have a meh career where his demeanor, attitude, outside interests, I'm smarter than you self-image, etc consistently keep him from fulfilling his physical potential...prove those folks right, all the while saying they are wrong. Kind of a Jay Cutler, if you will.

2. Be the guy SK believes he is and Rosen himself says he is. Work hard. Have a chip and be motivated by it but within the boundaries of the team's success. Earn what you get and then lead others to earn what they get. Have an awesome career and then retire saying, "I told you".

It won't really be anything other than those two paths.

Jamarcus Russell is one of, if not the biggest, draft busts of all time. He said the right things and denied all of the red flags, concerns, whispers, etc. But everything he actually did was proving them to be exactly correct. Pretty much ditto for Leinart.

It's time for some actions speak louder than words grinding. Let's hope Rosen gets it like he says he does and spends the next 10 years bothering 31 other teams with consistent beatdowns and championships.
    Last edited by OJ Anderson; 05-01-2018 at 06:21 AM.
    If I didn't say it, it didn't need to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by OJ Anderson View Post
    Good post Silly...I jumped on to post this exact article portion. Here's my thoughts...

Rosen has 2 choices, really (assuming injuries don't play a major factor in his career trajectory).

1. Be the guy many (not all) say he is. Be the guy that something about him "bothers" people and have a meh career where his demeanor, attitude, outside interests, I'm smarter than you self-image, etc consistently keep him from fulfilling his physical potential...prove those folks right, all the while saying they are wrong. Kind of a Jay Cutler, if you will.

2. Be the guy SK believes he is and Rosen himself says he is. Work hard. Have a chip and be motivated by it but within the boundaries of the team's success. Earn what you get and then lead others to earn what they get. Have an awesome career and then retire saying, "I told you".

It won't really be anything other than those two paths.

Jamarcus Russell is one of, if not the biggest, draft busts of all time. He said the right things and denied all of the red flags, concerns, whispers, etc. But everything he actually did was proving them to be exactly correct. Pretty much ditto for Leinart.

It's time for some actions speak louder than words grinding. Let's hope Rosen gets it like he says he does and spends the next 10 years bothering 31 other teams with consistent beatdowns and championships.
    He has a 3.77 GPA, has never been arrested, doesn't grab his crotch or slit his throat or otherwise show terrible sportsmanship. The guy is simply the best pure passer in this draft and it's not close.

Most of the chatter around Josh Rosen is because he is very liberal and has been an outspoken critic of the NCAA exploitation of the amateur status of College players who make them 100's of millions of dollars. The NFL is an establishment league that's all about controlling the talent. Josh is likely to say what's on his mind and that makes some NFL executives and fans uncomfortable. Particularly after the knelling fiasco.

We even saw a little of that on this board. "Self entitled, arrogant rich kid". A football fan would say rocket armed franchise QB with great foot work and anticipation.

He's actions put him in position to be a top 10 NFL draft pick with a future as an elite NFL QB. What exactly doesn't he get?