Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Trip down memory lane - Forum Edition

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tempe
    Posts
    8,010

    Default

    Where’s flagstaff card? 😄

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    528

    Default Out With The Old And In With The New

    The changeover into a new forum after, what, a dozen years can be intimidating for older people. We like our comfort zones and easy going relationships so we can hesitate on continuing thru the process. Change for the sake of change oftentimes is pointless and falls in the category of 'teaching an old dog new tricks.' I am game, though, and registered so I'm locked 'n loaded for June 1st. But, my handle is being retired. I took the approach of informative commentary, reflecting back in franchise history even to the days in Chicago because of the wealth of stories told to me by my father and my uncles who actually saw Ernie Nevers play.

    Cardinal fans, such as me, who became fans of Chicago sports teams excited by the radio voices of the 1950's describing game action to a youngsters ears are few and far between nowadays. The advent of television was slow and NFL home games were not broadcast, only road games, to protect the gate. A different time of another world...so my eventual interaction will change. My teenage grandsons and great-nephews are becoming fans of professional football in the here and now with little, if any, interest in what has come before. The accomplishments of teams and yesterday's teams are irrelevant to them because they are living in a 'Fast and Furious' world while I prefer Hollywood's Westerns.

    That's OK, though. I learned from the Corps to 'Discern, Adapt and Overcome.' There'll be plenty of opportunities in the new setup to see where any comment by me could happen and maybe, just maybe, there will a return to intuitive, insightful and entertaining postings. Satire, tongue in cheek comments and replies and respectful correcting can provide interesting conversation. It could happen?

    But, if the NF of L actually, seriously, continues its uncalledfor discussion of eliminating kickoffs from the game of football I will turn my back on the game I love and watch Australian-rules football only. The ghosts of Charlie Trippi and Ollie Matson and the exploits of Terry Metcalf, Johnny Roland, Stump Mitchell and Roy Green, not to mention NFL record holder, Devon Hester, give life to every game and should continue undiluted.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    5,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sillysoft View Post
    I wish the Cardinals would be willing to do a 301 redirect of this sub domain to a new forum. Im not trying toot my own horn, Im just saying I have the ability to maintain a server with a forum for Cardinals fans. Heck even create a website to tie it all in.

    I have had well over 10 years experience as a senior developer. I also have been a network administrator, system administrator with a lot of experience setting up web servers and maintaining them either via Linux with Apache or Windows with IIS, or actually I prefer Apache on Windows as well. I also have knowledge with SEO (I used to work for one of the largest SEO companies in the US. They even put me in charge in setting up their collector servers) using tools like Google/Bing Webmaster, Google Analytics etc. Right now I have my own dedicated server via Liquid Web, though I use WHM/CPanel which makes it very easy for anyone to administer a web server. For web development my main language is PHP and using a MySQL database backend, though I have worked with others like Postgres. Front end I used Bootstrap and JQuery. Anyway kind of going overboard here, the bottom line is I have experience in this relm.

    But I highly doubt Cardinals organization will do such a thing, a lot of trust would have to be given allowing someone use of their image.
    SS, notes not overboard at all. Learned about your passions. As you suggest, a 301 redirect would work. I see the function ongoing at my job about every day. A little window pops up...wait 5-10 seconds...then magic happens...I time travel through a work worm hole to somewhere else!

    Re trust, maybe you first have to be interviewed, take a poly, have dinner with the Bosses, etc. The corporate image is sacrosanct.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sun City AZ
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lacardsfan View Post
    Have to say that i am really bummed about this board going away. I was a member of the old board before we moved to this new version, want to say that was about 7-8 years ago. Cannot remember. During that transition it felt like we lost some great contributing members. With that said, I wanted to list my 3 things that this board has reminded me of or contributed to in my time here:

    1. Carddan and the people - He used to be on the Forum and he was always a Dad like figure. He always kept things above the name calling etc. He is #1 on my list since I ended up bumping into him tailgating one game and come to find out he was only 10 rows ahead of me. We ended up becoming good friends and text about games to this day. He doesnt come to the board anymore since he had an "incident" at the stadium being forcefully removed for no good reason other than being a fanatic. It hit him hard and he only watches from home now. But man did Carddan have the best facepaint. I will try to find an old pic somewhere and post it. I live in LA and had season tickets and Carddan even offered his house up to the wife and I one time when we went up for a game. That is the best part of the board, kid, drachir, zaz, etc all you guys contributing and getting to know you guys without ever meeting you.

    2. Profootballtalk - It is crazy to think about this board and the evolution of PFT. Back in the day they were all rumors and always saying we were trading Fitz to MInn. Almost once a week a new board member would come on and post a PFT link and say: "WE ARE TRADING FITZ, WHY!!!" and all of us would have to explain how PFT was fake news before that was a term. Well low and behold, Florio parlayed that into a bonafide go to source for all things football. To now see him on TV is crazy. And to this day when I see him on NBC I still think about this board and how much we had to fight the fake rumors coming from his site.

    3. ????? - Man for the life of my I cannot remember the posters name, you guys have to help me with this one. There was a poster that was EPIC on this baord, he was SO WRONG on everything. He started during the Denny Green days and went through the Whiz days. He was so wrong, but fought his point so hard. For about a 3 year period it was just comedy gold. You guys out there have to remember his name, can wait to read it because it is going to make me laugh all over again.

    BONUS ROUND

    I called it - Back in the beginning of 2008 I started a thread poll asking who would take us to the promise land aka SB - Warner or Leinart. Well this board was laughing so hard at me and saying neither, we stink and no one will get us there. I was steadfast that I thought it was our year. CALLED IT

    Eat my crow - On that same poll I picked Leinart and thought he was going to be GREAT, boy was I wrong. Same thread, called it and ate crow.

    So lets here it from you guys, top 3 memories and bonus round called it and eat some crow.
    I was on that old board too and i too am going to miss this place. Oh well time marches on.
    We now have our QB's of the future!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Verde Valley
    Posts
    8,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Llama View Post
    Hey Guys!

    I'm actually kinda surprised people remember me.. but thanks for that!

    All is well, I just kinda took a step back from how seriously I took the game of Football. It's great to have passion in life, but for me.. it was getting a little out of control. I was getting to the point where Cardinal losses ruined my day or in some cases.. strings of days. I would go to games and find myself just wanted to punch opposing fans, and that's just not me. I took a period where I let things go and now I am back to enjoying the game on a more sane and rational level. I always intended to return to the forums, I just never did.

    There were/are so many great posters here that I really don't want to try to make a list for fear of forgetting someone, but obviously Drachir, Rimrock, Booman, MattTodd, MadJack, Cats.. man.. just so many.

    I understand they are closing this forum, what's the news on a new forum? Is there another 'official' forum coming? or is it just someone doing it on their own?


    Seriously, thanks guys for remembering me.. you guys are too kind. I am still here, and while I have scaled back, I can assure you that I still bleed red every single game!

    Go Cardinals!!

    [Edit] Nevermind, I see the thread on the new forum. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing!
    Man..you don't know how good it makes me feel to hear your fingers (lol)..i always assume the worse when somebody just disappears without a visible reason ,,when i first got the nerve to start posting on the board(after years of lurking) you were the 1st guy that would talk to me without jumping down my throat..i never forgot you for that(and yeah it`s your fault i`m the blabbermouth i am today ) So Thankful you are well...ha i bet you never knew you had a fan club
    Adios Compadres ...Its been a HOOT!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,267

    Default

    Good to hear all is well with DARTH Llama,

    I always wanted to change his name to Darth Vader.


    I love to do research and find unusual things.
    One of the funniest times on here was the You Tube video of The three Seattle Seahawk Fans in a shed filming themselves watching The Seahawks VS Cardinals
    They were drinking quite a bit and making all the wrong calls about plays during the game.
    If you guys remember they were all celebrating beating us with less than a minute in the game. TOASTING EACH OTHER Well, Our Mighty Cardinals came back and beat them.

    Their video had 3 views when I first put it up. Within less than a few hours
    it had almost 1,000 views BEFORE THEY TOOK IT DOWN! LOL
    It was going viral as others were picking it up

    I tried in vain to find it and put it back up ! LOL lol

    I posted in their comment section that I was gonna make them famous LOL
    for being idiots
    Last edited by FLCardinalFan; 05-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Section 444
    Posts
    12,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    Good to see you are OK. I was beginning to worry after reading the earlier posts.
    Good to year from you too man. Our most dedicated fan from 'across the pond.'

    Quote Originally Posted by Drachir View Post
    Darth good to see you my man.
    You too man, good to hear from you. Sorry for just vanishing.. wasn't my intent, but I should have at least told the other mods I was taking a break. I'm glad to see you still here.. hope you post on the new board as well. I always enjoyed your posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by MattTodd89 View Post
    Great to hear from you Darth and I'm glad all is well!. You've always been one of, if not the most respected posters on the board and I know I've always appreciated your insight so it seemed appropriate to bring your name up in the "Forum Memory Lane" thread.

    I can definitely relate with the need to scale back a bit. I looked forward to Sunday afternoons all week but then when game time finally arrives I usually end up so aggravated that I can actually feel the heat radiating off my body. But that aside, thanks for popping back in, really great to hear from you!

    Go Cardinals!
    Thanks man, very kind of you. It's great to be passionate.. heck, the term 'fan' is short for 'fanatic' and lets just say I was embodying that a little more then I wanted to. I never stopped watching or rooting for the team of course, I just scaled back my banter with other fans and stuck to my little core group. There is a middle ground though, and I'm going to embrace that a little more.. interact with the people that are pleasant and just forget the rest. Really good to hear from you buddy!


    Quote Originally Posted by RimrockCard View Post
    Man..you don't know how good it makes me feel to hear your fingers (lol)..i always assume the worse when somebody just disappears without a visible reason ,,when i first got the nerve to start posting on the board(after years of lurking) you were the 1st guy that would talk to me without jumping down my throat..i never forgot you for that(and yeah it`s your fault i`m the blabbermouth i am today ) So Thankful you are well...ha i bet you never knew you had a fan club
    Nice of you to say man, glad I would help.. you have certainly made a great contribution to the community. It would have been a shame if you had remained silent.

    Quote Originally Posted by FLCardinalFan View Post
    Good to hear all is well with DARTH Llama,

    I always wanted to change his name to Darth Vader.
    Haha.. but then I wouldn't have a ridiculous name that made absolutely no sense but just sounded normal once you got used to it. Seriously.. it's the dumbest name ever, I love it.
    Last edited by Darth Llama; 05-08-2018 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seymour TN
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Nah would not want a dumb name myself. Know the feeling.
    All Alone Am I!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    South Wales, U.K.
    Posts
    4,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Slick View Post
    The changeover into a new forum after, what, a dozen years can be intimidating for older people. We like our comfort zones and easy going relationships so we can hesitate on continuing thru the process. Change for the sake of change oftentimes is pointless and falls in the category of 'teaching an old dog new tricks.' I am game, though, and registered so I'm locked 'n loaded for June 1st. But, my handle is being retired. I took the approach of informative commentary, reflecting back in franchise history even to the days in Chicago because of the wealth of stories told to me by my father and my uncles who actually saw Ernie Nevers play.

    Cardinal fans, such as me, who became fans of Chicago sports teams excited by the radio voices of the 1950's describing game action to a youngsters ears are few and far between nowadays. The advent of television was slow and NFL home games were not broadcast, only road games, to protect the gate. A different time of another world...so my eventual interaction will change. My teenage grandsons and great-nephews are becoming fans of professional football in the here and now with little, if any, interest in what has come before. The accomplishments of teams and yesterday's teams are irrelevant to them because they are living in a 'Fast and Furious' world while I prefer Hollywood's Westerns.

    That's OK, though. I learned from the Corps to 'Discern, Adapt and Overcome.' There'll be plenty of opportunities in the new setup to see where any comment by me could happen and maybe, just maybe, there will a return to intuitive, insightful and entertaining postings. Satire, tongue in cheek comments and replies and respectful correcting can provide interesting conversation. It could happen?

    But, if the NF of L actually, seriously, continues its uncalledfor discussion of eliminating kickoffs from the game of football I will turn my back on the game I love and watch Australian-rules football only. The ghosts of Charlie Trippi and Ollie Matson and the exploits of Terry Metcalf, Johnny Roland, Stump Mitchell and Roy Green, not to mention NFL record holder, Devon Hester, give life to every game and should continue undiluted.
    I'm loving the Aussie rules football too. I'm a Richmond fan, since living there in the early 1970s. Had about 40 years of disappointment, that all changed last year.

    I agree the NFL can cause itself problems, by trying to avoid other problems. But when corners, are making 'business decisions', not to tackle running backs, it is hard to level all the blame at the commissioners door.

    I thought of a funny character, although, I'm not sure he was trying to be funny.
    The body builder guy who wanted the Cards to run on every play. On game day threads if there was a pass, he'd start ranting and raving.
    Last edited by Northern Soul; 05-09-2018 at 01:32 AM.
    Logan Woodside is not a day three pick, he is the best QB in college.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    I'm loving the Aussie rules football too. I'm a Richmond fan, since living there in the early 1970s. Had about 40 years of disappointment, that all changed last year.

    I agree the NFL can cause itself problems, by trying to avoid other problems. But when corners, are making 'business decisions', not to tackle running backs, it is hard to level all the blame at the commissioners door.

    I thought of a funny character, although, I'm not sure he was trying to be funny.
    The body builder guy who wanted the Cards to run on every play. On game day threads if there was a pass, he'd start ranting and raving.
    I think I remember him, is that the guy that always posted avatars of his hot girlfriend? Lol, he was actually a good guy and a lot of fun. I was on board with his passing rants. Whiz was a disaster run pass pass punt.....pass pass pass punt... pass pass pass punt. Drove me nuts.
    CP3 in AZ baby!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •